Steering Wobble 1997 Model L200 - Mitsubishi-Forums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
xrxaa01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tanauan City
Posts: 938
Hi everybody,

hope somebody can help me / point me in the right direction.

My steering wheel wobbles considerably at a speed of 50mph (80kmph).
Begins slightly at 60kmph and ends at over 100kmph - climax at 80.
Replaced the idler arm bushings - really worn out - helped but not gone.
Balanced the wheels - problem persists.
Replaced the shock absorbers - helped too (were worn out anyway).
Still - very anoying wobble. And it will wear out the idler arm bushings fast too.
Checked the steering ball joints - seem good to me.
Checked the ball joints of wishbones - think they are O.K.
I am no expert - but maybe I have to take out the springs to be sure.
One thought - maybe the previous owner bought cheap brake discs
which were not balanced - could that cause a serious wobble?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice offered.

Michael
xrxaa01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
 
chain rattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ipswich Qld Australia
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to chain rattle Send a message via Yahoo to chain rattle
had the problem when i didnt have 4 matching tyres (treads)

does the car have a good steering rack /manual or power steering


chain rattle is online now  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
xrxaa01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tanauan City
Posts: 938
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chain rattle @ Feb 24 2011, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
had the problem when i didnt have 4 matching tyres (treads)

does the car have a good steering rack /manual or power steering[/b]
Car has a power steering.
Joints are not new - but still good. (can jolt them and feel no play)
Guess if they weren´t good steering would wobble always ...
Had matching tyres in front (different from rear) and had to change one tire
in front - no real difference.
I will change front with rear tyres and see if it changes anything.

So much for now.
Will post again as soon as it´s done and tested.


xrxaa01 is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
 
chain rattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ipswich Qld Australia
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to chain rattle Send a message via Yahoo to chain rattle
this bit may give the clue

you said (And it will wear out the idler arm bushings fast too.)

maybe the car was in an accident

or something is screwy with the alignment
chain rattle is online now  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
xrxaa01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tanauan City
Posts: 938
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chain rattle @ Feb 26 2011, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
this bit may give the clue

you said (And it will wear out the idler arm bushings fast too.)

maybe the car was in an accident

or something is screwy with the alignment[/b]

Hi chain rattle.
Can´t rule out the alignment till checked - but car runs staight
AND brakes straight.
Changed rear tyres to front and vice versa.
WOW. what a difference.
Thinking now your first tip was right (tire treads).
Still have one cheap chinese tyre in rear - will replace that one
with the spare - let´s see what changes.
If that´s what caused it -
detailed description of model maker and so on will follow.
till then
thanks a lot
and will keep u informed
Michael
xrxaa01 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
xrxaa01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tanauan City
Posts: 938
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xrxaa01 @ Mar 5 2011, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Hi chain rattle.
Can´t rule out the alignment till checked - but car runs staight
AND brakes straight.
Changed rear tyres to front and vice versa.
WOW. what a difference.
Thinking now your first tip was right (tire treads).
Still have one cheap chinese tyre in rear - will replace that one
with the spare - let´s see what changes.
If that´s what caused it -
detailed description of model maker and so on will follow.
till then
thanks a lot
and will keep u informed
Michael[/b]

Had the alignment checked.
Caster was O.K.
Camber just slightly out of limits.
1°10´ is the limit - was 1° 12´ - difference between left and right max. 30´was within limits.
Got that fixed.
Toe was over the limit on both sides.
Got that fixed too.
Haven´t been able to test thouroughly yet - but it seems better.

Will keep you posted as soon as I have tested thouroughly.

Michael
xrxaa01 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
xrxaa01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tanauan City
Posts: 938
Hi chain rattle,

did some driving lately.
Steering wobble is still there - but a very mild one now.
Only occurs when the road surface is bad enough to kind
of "ignite" the wobble.
The rubbers which are resposible for the toe being right are worn out.
Will get those replaced and have the toe adjusted again.

Keep U posted

Michael
xrxaa01 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator
 
chain rattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ipswich Qld Australia
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to chain rattle Send a message via Yahoo to chain rattle
a car that handles better
has to be safe

glad you are finding the faults
and fixing them when you can

well done
chain rattle is online now  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
xrxaa01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tanauan City
Posts: 938
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chain rattle @ Mar 30 2011, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
a car that handles better
has to be safe

glad you are finding the faults
and fixing them when you can

well done[/b]

Hi chain rattle,

replaced the strut bar bushings and had the toe adjusted again.
Everything is fine now.
Hardly noticeable wobble at 80kmph (50 mph).
Either the tyres or that´s just how it is.
Hardly noticeable wobble on good road
and no noticeable wobble on bad road.

Conclusion:
I guess due to worn out strut bar bushings the toe
became wrong and the wobble then wore out
the idler arm bushings - to make things even worse.
The previous owner didn´t give a **** I guess ....
(First thing I did was change ALL belts - including both timing belts -
found out he changed the timing belts (with non original - I used mitsu parts)
and that he was to cheap to change the alternator belt at the same time -
which was REALLY worn out and close to ripping.
Hmmmm

Michael

P.S.: Will post again when I change all 5 tyres
xrxaa01 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
xrxaa01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tanauan City
Posts: 938
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xrxaa01 @ May 2 2011, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Hi chain rattle,

replaced the strut bar bushings and had the toe adjusted again.
Everything is fine now.
Hardly noticeable wobble at 80kmph (50 mph).
Either the tyres or that�s just how it is.
Hardly noticeable wobble on good road
and no noticeable wobble on bad road.

Conclusion:
I guess due to worn out strut bar bushings the toe
became wrong and the wobble then wore out
the idler arm bushings - to make things even worse.
The previous owner didn�t give a **** I guess ....
(First thing I did was change ALL belts - including both timing belts -
found out he changed the timing belts (with non original - I used mitsu parts)
and that he was to cheap to change the alternator belt at the same time -
which was REALLY worn out and close to ripping.
Hmmmm

Michael

P.S.: Will post again when I change all 5 tyres[/b]
O.K.
It´s been a while since I swapped all the cheap chinese tyres against Goodyear´s.
Runs like a dream now.

CONCLUSION:

If you have a steering wobble - check bushings and bearings for play.
If O.K. - check alignment.
If O.K. - make sure parts responsible for correct alignment are O.K.
In my case the rubbers for the strut were worn out - see posts.
If that´s all O.K. - maybe it´s the tyres - my cheap chinese tyres helped the wobble -
I´m guessing the design of the tread wasn´t so good - causes resonances.

If any of the above doesn´t help you - you just found a new cause.

Michael
xrxaa01 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mitsubishi-Forums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome