1.8 Gdi Engine Problems - Mitsubishi-Forums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
JVG
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valencia - Spain
Posts: 26
Thumbs up

Hi all!

I own a Carisma 1.8 GDI since 18 months ago. We (my wife and I) have done about 30.000km to it, mixed road and city, getting 7.3 l/100km average over this period. It has been a nice to drive car and we are glad with it. Car now has 130.000km on it. Service has been done at recommended intervals and always at the Mitsubishi agent.

But, since day one, it has had some trouble with idle, as is usual with GDIs. Even, sometimes, engine stopped when arriving, for example, to an STOP. At the beginning it was just from time to time and we didn't find it a big problem. But lately it was getting worse so my wife, who drives the car daily, told me to take it to the garage. Tinkerer as I am , I looked for information, found the nice YouTube videos on the throttle valve repair and lots of info, like the one in this Forum, so I proceeded to inspect the throttle body. It was far from being too bad; just some carbon deposits on the inside part, some of them slightly blocking the tiny space between the valve and the metal enclosure, when it is fully closed. So I carefully cleaned it, checking that the valve had enough spring action and that it was smooth. Once I did it, idle was perfect . So I was very glad about the repair

Things were fine for exactly a week and about 200km. Then my wife called me telling the engine error light had lighted and car had lost all power and so on . I was wondering how it had worked so nicely for a week and then it got that fault. But of course, I suspected of my work on the car

Well, I checked again all what I had done and everything was fine. Just in case, I did an even more extensive cleaning on the throttle valve and tried the car again. It worked for a couple days and then, after 80km, I got again the dreaded light. I felt an small loss of power just before the light was on.

I have also tried to do an ECU re-learn, disconnecting the battery for some minutes, reconnecting it, running at idle for 20 minutes, adding all electrical load I could and then stopping the engine. But, after than, I got again the failure at about 6km from home. This was done yesterday. Today, I have come to work with the Carisma and has worked almost fine. I say almost because it seems to me that engine is not as smooth as it was.

BTW, every failure has been at light engine load. I mean, while I am doing about 80-100km/h, on an straight, with the accelerator very lightly pressed. I guess this could be a clue.

One thing I am wondering is that there could be a hidden relation I am missing... let's imagine lambda sensor was about to fail. It could increase the number of stalls if it was working on its limits... so I clean the throttle valve and, yes, this helps about idle. But them lambda sensor fails and I get the other problem.

Another thing that I am suspecting is that, when doing yesterday the ECU re-learn, at idle, I was out of the car in a very quiet area... and then I listened some hissing noise coming from the bottom of the car, more or less on the middle. Could this be an air leak on the exhaust?. If so, it could foul the lambda sensor, I guess...

I have looked for a reliable OBD-II reader, suitable for this car but it seems that nobody has yet found it, right?

Well, as you can see, I have some clues and lots of questions . I would appreciate any comments about what can I do now.

Thanks and best regards,

JOSE
JVG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Finland/Sweden
Posts: 109
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JVG @ Feb 4 2010, 03:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Hi all!

I own a Carisma 1.8 GDI since 18 months ago. We (my wife and I) have done about 30.000km to it, mixed road and city, getting 7.3 l/100km average over this period. It has been a nice to drive car and we are glad with it. Car now has 130.000km on it. Service has been done at recommended intervals and always at the Mitsubishi agent.

But, since day one, it has had some trouble with idle, as is usual with GDIs. Even, sometimes, engine stopped when arriving, for example, to an STOP. At the beginning it was just from time to time and we didn't find it a big problem. But lately it was getting worse so my wife, who drives the car daily, told me to take it to the garage. Tinkerer as I am , I looked for information, found the nice YouTube videos on the throttle valve repair and lots of info, like the one in this Forum, so I proceeded to inspect the throttle body. It was far from being too bad; just some carbon deposits on the inside part, some of them slightly blocking the tiny space between the valve and the metal enclosure, when it is fully closed. So I carefully cleaned it, checking that the valve had enough spring action and that it was smooth. Once I did it, idle was perfect . So I was very glad about the repair

Things were fine for exactly a week and about 200km. Then my wife called me telling the engine error light had lighted and car had lost all power and so on . I was wondering how it had worked so nicely for a week and then it got that fault. But of course, I suspected of my work on the car

Well, I checked again all what I had done and everything was fine. Just in case, I did an even more extensive cleaning on the throttle valve and tried the car again. It worked for a couple days and then, after 80km, I got again the dreaded light. I felt an small loss of power just before the light was on.

I have also tried to do an ECU re-learn, disconnecting the battery for some minutes, reconnecting it, running at idle for 20 minutes, adding all electrical load I could and then stopping the engine. But, after than, I got again the failure at about 6km from home. This was done yesterday. Today, I have come to work with the Carisma and has worked almost fine. I say almost because it seems to me that engine is not as smooth as it was.

BTW, every failure has been at light engine load. I mean, while I am doing about 80-100km/h, on an straight, with the accelerator very lightly pressed. I guess this could be a clue.

One thing I am wondering is that there could be a hidden relation I am missing... let's imagine lambda sensor was about to fail. It could increase the number of stalls if it was working on its limits... so I clean the throttle valve and, yes, this helps about idle. But them lambda sensor fails and I get the other problem.

Another thing that I am suspecting is that, when doing yesterday the ECU re-learn, at idle, I was out of the car in a very quiet area... and then I listened some hissing noise coming from the bottom of the car, more or less on the middle. Could this be an air leak on the exhaust?. If so, it could foul the lambda sensor, I guess...

I have looked for a reliable OBD-II reader, suitable for this car but it seems that nobody has yet found it, right?

Well, as you can see, I have some clues and lots of questions . I would appreciate any comments about what can I do now.

Thanks and best regards,

JOSE[/b]
It was quite a good story to read, it got me to smile. Compliments for the perfect writing

Unfortunately it sounds like you car is experiencing some weird problems..

Anyway itīs a common problem that the lamba sensor f***s up, so it is a good hypotesis; regarding the OBD-2 reader i really dont know.
I bought one crappy chinese OBD-2 usb reader but it didnīt work, so dont buy it! (check image)


If you have around 100pounds to spend for a obd-2 reader i would suggest you to by some stuff of "Autel".
They have an apposite reader for japanese cars, i think it should work! : http://www.auteltech.com/jp701.htm

But i have no experience with standalone-obd2-readers so i really dont know which ones could work
(Please let us know if you get some obd2-reader to work with the car!)
starsky932 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
JVG
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valencia - Spain
Posts: 26
Hello Starsky,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Starsky @ Feb 6 2010, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
It was quite a good story to read, it got me to smile. Compliments for the perfect writing

Unfortunately it sounds like you car is experiencing some weird problems..

Anyway itīs a common problem that the lamba sensor f***s up, so it is a good hypotesis; regarding the OBD-2 reader i really dont know.
I bought one crappy chinese OBD-2 usb reader but it didnīt work, so dont buy it! (check image)


If you have around 100pounds to spend for a obd-2 reader i would suggest you to by some stuff of "Autel".
They have an apposite reader for japanese cars, i think it should work! : http://www.auteltech.com/jp701.htm

But i have no experience with standalone-obd2-readers so i really dont know which ones could work
(Please let us know if you get some obd2-reader to work with the car!)[/b]
OK, thanks for the hints. I think I will get a JP701... let's hope it works!!!

Regards,

JOSE
JVG is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Post

I had same idle problem with my 1.8 GDI, in most of the cases it is throttle body step motor magnet come off from its glue I fix it with the help of youtube . http://youtu.be/6EK1vtuNluA
aqeel is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
bumpn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio (usa)
Posts: 1,136
Send a message via Yahoo to bumpn
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aqeel @ Mar 13 2014, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I had same idle problem with my 1.8 GDI, in most of the cases it is throttle body step motor magnet come off from its glue I fix it with the help of youtube . http://youtu.be/6EK1vtuNluA[/b]
very rare for that to happen but i guess anythings possable

Derek
bumpn is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
KiT TeUnG 2549's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Houston , Texas
Posts: 3,986
Send a message via Yahoo to KiT TeUnG 2549
Very rare indeed, usually although its the Idle position switch in most cases i have worked on.

You Look Like I Need Another Drink
KiT TeUnG 2549 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 06:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Unhappy

Have look on youtube ,I think it was couple of thousands of faulty Bach of throttle body step motors install on carisma 1.8 gdi and Volvo V40 in between 2000 & 2002 European models .
aqeel is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
 
KiT TeUnG 2549's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Houston , Texas
Posts: 3,986
Send a message via Yahoo to KiT TeUnG 2549
I have not said i disagree with you. I have seen issue with Idle control Actuators also, I've seen it on many Mitsubishi also, I've seen it with what i said also. I don't need Youtube to know how to fix cars. I'm a certified technician that has personally and still work on Mitsubishi. I also am in Mitsubishi Autosprts and Thailand VR4 Offroad Association . Just for reference lol

You Look Like I Need Another Drink
KiT TeUnG 2549 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mitsubishi-Forums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome