Mitsubishi Forums banner

Factory Infinity System Speaker Replacement?

26K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GlueSniffinEd 
#1 ·
I was wondering if it is possible to replace the factory sub in the Infinity equipped Endeavor with an after market sub while leaving all of the original amplifiers and head unit stock.

The foam on my factory sub has torn; it sounds horrible now. I'm not sure if I can just buy any 8" sub I want on connect it up to the stock equipment or if I am stuck getting an OEM replacement.

I know that the early GM Bose systems were a pain as each individual speaker had its own amplifier and unless you replaced the entire system with after market you were stuck with outrageously priced OEM replacements.

If it is possible for me just to swap the driver (sub) out with my choice of subs....well....any suggestions as to what I should buy would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
I can't say a positive yes, but if you could find the following, then it would work:

- 8" sub with same dept dimensions. (Most OEM subs have a very specific size that's too small for common aftermarket))

- Check the ohms and amount of power the amps have. Find a sub that can be driven with that amount of power.

#3 ·
On the same note as the post above, I would actually like to keep my Infinity sound system in my '99 Spyder but I have two blown speakers. Is it possible to get replacement OEMs for the that year and model? and who would I go to, a mitsubishi dealer? I just purchased this vehicle and did not realize the agony that comes with the factory Infinity audio system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#4 ·
Hey guys, I can now answer my own question for those of you that are curious.

Apparently there is nothing special at all about the sub. I took my Endeavor in to a local car audio shop and they dropped a JL audio 8W0 8" sub in the OEM hole and did some work to seal it in the OEM cavity.

No cutting or modifications at all were necessary, it sounds good and it was $138.00 out the door including installation. The only way you can tell that it is not the OEM sub is because you can see "JL Audio" on the speaker; aside from that the factory original side panel and everything else is unchanged.

The dealership quoted me over $200.00 for the part and labor to replace the OEM infinity sub. The JL Audio sub looks like it is a much better quality part and was also much cheaper than the dealership route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.