Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Eclipse Forum > 3G (2000-2005) Eclipse
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Overheating..?, Overheating at idling.
Stan Jarensky
post Jan 22 2013, 04:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 123,755
Drives: 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Okay, so I have a 2001 Eclipse GS 5-Speed. Noticed that the radiator was cracked so I bought myself a new radiator, new thermostat, and a flush kit. So yesterday, I took the old radiator and thermostat out and put the new ones in and flushed the system. Started putting new Antifreeze in, waited for the thermostat to open and put the radiator cap back on. Well, everything seemed to be going fine until today when I noticed that my car is now overheating at idle. There aren't any leaks so I kinda ruled out the water pump, I doubt it's my head gasket because there aren't any other signs for that, so do I just have more air in the system? Both fans ARE coming on, no leaks, and a little revving will lower the temperature again. Any thoughts? Thanks, guys.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
theboynextdoor88
post Jan 23 2013, 12:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 94,023
Drives: 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

That sounds exactly like air in the system. Did you rev it with the radiator cap off to purge air from the system? If you did not you should notice the coolant level drop after running/driving for a while. Just keep it topped off and an eye on the temp guage.

QuoteReply
SRSONE
post Jan 23 2013, 08:31 AM
Post #3

Veteran

Member No.: 59,794
Drives: 2007 OUTLANDER ES with the v6 and the 6 speed(no flappy paddles),2001 kia rio,1979 chevy k20 stepside

yes you may have an air pocket and it still needs to bleed out...but just because the water pump isnt leaking doesnt mean the fins arent rotted away and/or not working...if you can get it to bleed and it still overheats and you have ruled out any other causes...you may need to pull the water pump

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 06:51 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement