Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > L300, L400, Delica, Exceed & Starwagon Forum
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Fuel Pump Leaking Oil Again
94STAR
post Nov 23 2012, 05:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81,277
Drives: 94 Starwagon Auto and a couple of Mazdas

I am getting sick of having an oil leak from my fuel pump on my 94 Starwagon 2L carby model. I have had 2 replacements after the original and still it comes back a drip from the pipe off the top. Is there a decent brand that can be bought, the replacments have been Repco
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Comper100
post Nov 23 2012, 06:32 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 41,076
Drives: 91 L300 Delica

How long do they last before they leak? Seams odd. You could always block it off with a blanking plate and fit an external pump?

QuoteReply
94STAR
post Nov 24 2012, 06:21 AM
Post #3

The original was changed at about 210,000 but it had been dripping for ages and poluting the starter motor, that replacement did not last at all, maybe the mechanic damaged it fitting it as they are a nightmare to fit under the inlet manifold, the next one went in at about 220,000 and it has lasted until about 290,000 now has 300,000 but engine was reco'd at great expense about 10,000 ago. I notice that a plastic tube has been fitted to the pipe on top of the fuel pump and comes out below, posibly to direct any drips out of the way, I am sure it was not always there. Both replacements have come from Repco.

Interested in the thought of blanking it off and going external but how would that be achieved as it is a mechanical fuel pump, can an electric one be used on a carby model ?

QuoteReply
Comper100
post Dec 6 2012, 03:23 AM
Post #4

Yep, an electrical one can be use with ease. A facet electric pump mounted to the chassis will work just fine. I've done it on many a van. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QuoteReply
94STAR
post Dec 10 2012, 07:09 AM
Post #5

Thanks for that, a google, a read and an Ebay search came up with this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...atchlink:top:en

If it eliminates vapour lock I will be happy as that happens on a hot restart if I get some ethanol blend fuel on board. I usually try and avoid that though

QuoteReply
Comper100
post Jan 11 2013, 08:30 AM
Post #6

That will be fine, I fitted a facet to a hiace a few days back and she runs perfectly on it, no mechanical pump to worry about!

QuoteReply
94STAR
post Jul 1 2013, 05:33 AM
Post #7

Well I finally bit the bullet and did something, took it to the mechanic I use occasionally for the stuff I don't want to (can't) do. I had the mechanical pump removed and an electric one fitted and a transmission rear seal replaced. I think however the pump he used may not be suited to the job as it clatters away as soon as the ignition is switched on and calms down once the engine is running and using fuel. Not sure what brand it is but it is cylindrical about 40mm diameter and about 75mm long, fuel in one end and out the other. I suspect that it does not have any internal pressure switch and also may be running too high a fuel pressure, too early to be sure but fuel consumption seems higher, may be wasting fuel somehow somewhere

Do you have a P/n for the facet you use as there appear to be a few models available and do they have internal shut off when fuel is not needed by the carby or when the pressure builds up exit fuel line

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Oil Pressure Gauge Not Reading
3 LCM 130 7th May 2014 - 06:04 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts Oil Pressure Sensor?
2 byates2 659 28th April 2014 - 03:42 PM
Last post by: chuzz
No New Posts Oil In Spark Plug Holes
2 camper66 854 7th September 2013 - 12:20 PM
Last post by: camper66
No New Posts Fuel Gauge Ohms
4 Philip J Fry 748 20th June 2013 - 06:40 AM
Last post by: 94STAR
No New Posts Fuel Filter
7 ran 1,595 17th June 2013 - 04:39 PM
Last post by: SRSONE

Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 01:59 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement