Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > L300, L400, Delica, Exceed & Starwagon Forum
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Dual Batteries
Philip J Fry
post Jun 4 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,142
Drives: 1994 Mitsubishi Express L300 (2.0L Carb Petrol/LPG), 1996 Mitsubishi Delica Exceed (2.8L Turbo Diesel)

I'm wanting to install dual batteries in my 94 Express, I've sorted out where I'm putting the second battery (right next to the original battery) I'm wanting everything to run off the second battery, and to use the original battery for starting only. I already have my second battery. What I'm looking for is an easy way to hook all this up. I'm not sure about how to connect for charging, but I think I have an idea on the rest (I think) would it work if I ground the second battery to the first, and connect all the wiring from the original battery's positive to the second battery's positive, with the exception of the starter motor and alternator? Still not sure how to connect for charging without drawing from the starting battery when the engine is off. Any ideas on the best way to set this up, without costing a fortune.

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Comper100
post Jun 4 2012, 08:36 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 41,076
Drives: 91 L300 Delica

Hi Philip

whats the purpose of removing all of the electrics from the main battery except the starter? If you wish to run, lights, radio, heater and everything off the second battery then I would just change the original battery round with your second one unless there the same and then run a separate relay to the starter from the other battery. On mine I have everything I would leave on whilst the engine is off on the deep cycle battery (Radio, inverter, interior lights, power sockets etc) and the rest is on the main bat. On a 2 month trip round WA the main bat was perfect everytime. In a nutshell wiring everything to the new battery will be a pain. A simple tin can solenoid will isolate the 2nd bat when turned off or for $150 you can get a projecta dual bat isolator system. Like you say, earth both bats together and make sure the cable between the both + terminals is substantial. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Hope thats of use..

QuoteReply
Philip J Fry
post Jun 4 2012, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Drives: 1994 Mitsubishi Express L300 (2.0L Carb Petrol/LPG), 1996 Mitsubishi Delica Exceed (2.8L Turbo Diesel)

Reason I want all electrics on second battery, is the original battery is smaller than the second one, the original is large enough to start the car. Also I want everything on the second batt, so if I do anything stupid like leave my lights on I can still start the engine. (did that only the other day, starter motor turned the engine very slowly, didn't sound like it was going to start, and luckily it wheezed into life.)

QuoteReply
Philip J Fry
post Jun 5 2012, 05:34 AM
Post #4

Just wondering, would this work at all?

Attached File  dual_batt.png ( 26.09K ) Number of downloads: 9

QuoteReply
94STAR
post Jun 5 2012, 05:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 81,277
Drives: 94 Starwagon Auto and a couple of Mazdas

Philip,

That may work but you will have to turn the diode around the other way because the way you have it, the load will still be on the 2 batteries but the starting battery will never charge. Keep in mind the .6v forward voltage drop across the diode will reduce the charging voltage of the start battery by that same .6v

The system Comper mentioned may be the safest solution.

QuoteReply
Login: Peter H
post Jul 8 2012, 04:14 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 101,093
Drives: L200 pick-up and 6G72 powered Suzuki Samurai

You can make it work with 2 diodes.

(IMG:http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy288/peterHasendonckx/4x4/dualbattery.jpg)

QuoteReply
Comper100
post Aug 28 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #7

Did you sort this in the end?

QuoteReply
Philip J Fry
post Feb 13 2013, 01:28 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Comper100 @ Aug 28 2012, 10:51 PM) *
Did you sort this in the end?

Sorry for the long time getting back, I ended up using a VSR (voltage sensing relay) hasn't skipped a beat yet, and has got me out of trouble a few times so far

QuoteReply
Comper100
post Mar 3 2013, 08:59 AM
Post #9

Awesome good stuff!

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsDual Exhaust
Dual Exhaust
5 tola_chico 724 25th February 2011 - 04:11 PM
Last post by: jeverall
No New Posts Dual Cam Head For A 4g64?
I had read other posts that you can put a dual cam head on a 4g64 sohc
3 derek010 89 2nd July 2010 - 05:48 PM
Last post by: derek010
No New Posts Dual Mass Flywheel
How to say in French
4 ichabod 142 29th October 2009 - 02:51 PM
Last post by: T0oMas
No New Posts Dual Exhuast
11 JWhat89 467 20th October 2008 - 08:20 PM
Last post by: 08Lancer89
No New Posts Dual Exhaust
10 LoganWade03 797 15th August 2008 - 04:15 AM
Last post by: silver03GS

Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 02:00 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement