Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Montero, Challenger, Pajero & Shogun Forum
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Access Rear Speaker In A 2001 Montero Limited, How do I remove the rear speaker?
gregj2001montero
post Aug 14 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,960
Drives: 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

Greetings fellow Mitsubishi owners! I have an issue I could use some help on. I have a 2001 Montero Limited and it has a blown speaker in the rear area. I need some guidance on how to remove it so I can replace it. I tried to simply remove the speaker cover to access it and that was a mistake. It broke off because it was screwed in from the opposite side. It appears I will have to remove the driver side rear interior panel to get to the speaker. Does anyone have any advise or tips before I start exploring and possibly break any other brackets?

Please advise....

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
uglystorm
post Aug 26 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,910
Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

Hi Greg, I have the same issue with '03 Limited. Will continue to search and post any resolution. Anyone here knows how to safely extract the speaker?

QuoteReply
uglystorm
post Aug 26 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,910
Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

The only reference I'd found is instructions how to install a subwoofer replacing the rear speaker (good enough for me). The site address is http://carputer.davidmonto.com/ click on the "Subwoofer Construction" link to see the pictures. It looks like the top panel needs to come out first.

QuoteReply
KgB
post Apr 8 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 55,684
Drives: 2001 montero

I have the same question.Also what are people replacinf the sub with.It doesn't seem to be readily availablr

QuoteReply
sarb25
post Apr 24 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 70,022
Drives: 2001 Montero

Ok, so I just went ahead and gave it a go. The process is a bit of a pain, but its doable. Your main goal is going to be to remove the two interior panels that are back there to expose the subwoofer. These two panels being the one covering the subwoofer and the panel above it. The top panel must be removed first because it overlaps the bottom one. for the most part the top panel just pops out, there are clips along the edges that need to be released. Also there are screws in the middle where what i believe is the cover for the back is inserted. The bottom panel is a bit more tedious to remove. First the rear seat has to be removed. If the carpet is peeled back you will see several screws that need to be removed. Two screws will have to be removed from a carpeted piece of platic that runs the width of the vehicle in order to fold it back. This piece is part of the open area that houses the third seat. Also, near the rear door there are two more screws that are hidden. There is a hook/latch that will need to be removed in the corner in order to release a small patch of carpeted plastic that covers one screw. You're going to need a socket set for this. Also, the plastic cover that runs along the rear door will have to be removed because its leftmost section covers a screw. This should pop off after you realease all of the clips. The top panel that was removed in the beginning was covering several screws on the top of this panel that needed to be removed also. After that you should be able to remove the panel. You will now see that the subwoofer is bolted and glued into the vehicle. Remove the bolts and you might have to pry the sub off with a little bit of force because of the glue. You should be good to go after that. Hope this helps for anybody that might be looking.

QuoteReply
humhai420
post Apr 30 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 70,687
Drives: montero 2003 ltd

that is very very consise

def i will to tackle this as my subwoofer is starting to vibrate
but i pull the car apart unless the wife and kids are aways for the daor they will kill me for sure

QuoteReply
mikevegas06
post Apr 20 2012, 05:48 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 58,143
Drives: 2004 Mitsubishi Montero Limited, 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD, 1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD

I replaced the subwoofer in my wife’s 2004 Montero with the help of sarb25’s post. That was a great post and it really helped me out. I took pictures as well as made revisions to the guidelines that sarb25 provided. And, outy, thanks for the showing me the best ways to post the pics.

Tools: Phillips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, ratchet (or wrench), hammer, panel tool (purchased from Crutchfield a few years ago. Keeps you from scratching panels), your kid’s volleyball, soccer ball, or small basketball.
Product: 8 inch subwoofer (I purchased a Kicker sub from Crutchfield for $50).

Step 1: Your main goal is going to be to remove the two left rear interior panels that are back there to expose the subwoofer. These two panels being the one covering the subwoofer and the panel above it. The top panel must be removed first because it overlaps the bottom one. Extend the left grab handle and use a flathead screwdriver to pop off the covers that are adjacent to the spring loaded hinges. Also, I removed the third row but realized after the install that I could have left it collapsed in it’s compartment.
Attached File  IMG_20120414_00024.jpg ( 396.58K ) Number of downloads: 17

Remove the screws that mount the grab handle to the ceiling by using a Phillips screwdriver
Attached File  IMG_20120414_00025.jpg ( 400.24K ) Number of downloads: 12

Step 2: Unlock the latch for the rear quarter window and open the window.
Attached File  IMG_20120414_00026.jpg ( 549.65K ) Number of downloads: 16

Step 3: Pry the panel from the body of the Montero. I used a “panel tool” that I bought from Crutchfield. It’s a metal device in the shape of a Y with rounded edges.
Attached File  IMG_20120414_00027.jpg ( 515.68K ) Number of downloads: 16

Step 4: After the clips have released, pull the panel toward you and lay it on the cargo floor. It’s still attached to the car by the rear seat belt.
Attached File  IMG_20120414_00028.jpg ( 538.05K ) Number of downloads: 14

Step 5: Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the three gold screws connecting the bottom panel to the body of the car.
Attached File  IMG_20120414_00027.jpg ( 515.68K ) Number of downloads: 15

Step 6: Pry the panel away from the car and place a medium sized ball between the panel and the car body.
Attached File  IMG_20120414_00029.jpg ( 487.48K ) Number of downloads: 18

Step 7: You will now see that the subwoofer is bolted and glued into the vehicle. Remove the bolts and you might have to pry the sub off with a little bit of force because of the glue.
Attached File  IMG_20120414_00031.jpg ( 466.05K ) Number of downloads: 16

Step 8: Install the new subwoofer. Due to the different shape of the subwoofer frame (Kicker had a round frame and Infiniti had a square frame) I had to get creative on the install since I didn’t have any metal pieces of sufficient shape . Never underestimate the power of zip ties. Also, the wiring harness didn’t match up with the new subwoofer at all. I can post details on that if anyone is interested. I know this looks tacky, but it works. Once the panels are back in place, the ugly is hidden away.
Attached File  IMG_20120414_00032.jpg ( 387.84K ) Number of downloads: 20

QuoteReply
ceez38
post Feb 11 2013, 12:07 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 86,567
Drives: 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

Sarb25, thank you for describing the process, and Mikevegas06, thank you for taking the time to take pictures. Just the shots I was looking for! Excellent work!

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Intermittent Heat In 2002 Galant
21 DerbyDad03 259 Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Last post by: DerbyDad03
No New Posts Montero Sport Xls 2002 Overheating
Montero Sport XLS 2002 3.5 Overheating
7 asalomon 113 15th October 2014 - 01:41 AM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts Montero Sport Xls Transmission
Lack of Engagement
2 Shadow14US 45 26th September 2014 - 03:16 PM
No New Posts 2001 Eclipse-right Front Shock/strut Tower Broke Away.
strut is against hood
2 bob whalen 65 23rd September 2014 - 10:10 AM
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsInstalled Dbl Din Navigation On 2002 Montero Xls
6 saltydoc 2,433 11th September 2014 - 12:49 AM

Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 12:31 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement