Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Galant Forum > 7G (1994-1998) Galant
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Galant 6a12- Camshaft Bearing Cap
TW2005
post Feb 1 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #1

Senior

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,244
Drives: 2005 TW Magna Wagon LS, 1994 HJ Galant 6A12 V6

Hey,

looking for opinions on this camshaft cap. The marks are also now on the camshaft as well. Is the cap itself the bearing material or is it impregnated on the cap surface and now it's worn through?

I have no clue about this and I'm thinking I was not clean enough on the install. Just another note the heads were bathed with the cams out when I got the heads done 30 000k ago and I do remember all the cap surfaces looked rough maybe from the cleaning solution eating the surfaces?

I'm doing the lash adjusters and replacing the rocker seal again with OEM parts this time because i can't seem to get the leaks sorted. Also I think I've used the wrong sealant under the caps so I'm revisiting them whic is how i exposed this new issue.

Can I get away with inserting the cam seals both ends with some sealant and fitting the caps or is it mandatory to tighten the caps and tap the seals in?

Attached File  IMG_0028.JPG ( 1.43MB ) Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  IMG_0027.JPG ( 1.37MB ) Number of downloads: 2
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
KiT TeUnG 2549
post Feb 10 2013, 08:16 PM
Post #2

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 58,134
Drives: 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-S SUPER INVECS II , 1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 MR, 2006 Mitsubishi Triton PLUS 3.5 DOCH , 2001 Mitsubishi Galant GSR

The bearing ,material is the cap , its conditioned that way. You are using DOCH cylinder heads i suspect? Well the caps are the same on both cylinder heads . Thing is tho , if you are taking one off the belt driven side on one cylinder head you will need to take the one on the opposite side of the other cylinder head. As the heads can be actually fitted to either bank just in a reversed position using the correct sides cams . Which is why on the opposed back the numbers and caps run in an opposite order as the front.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Galant 2003 Won't Start
5 zoso0 98 Yesterday, 08:54 PM
Last post by: zoso0
No New Posts Pinned: Topic has attachments6a12 Lash Adjusters
MD376687 MD377239 MD171130 MD359419
12 TW2005 411 12th July 2014 - 10:14 AM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No new Topic has attachments6a12 Na
35 kurty 390 5th July 2014 - 10:44 AM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts Bearing Lubrication Base Value
Bearing lubrication base value
0 uiyyret 46 1st July 2014 - 09:25 PM
Last post by: uiyyret
No New Posts Pinned: Galant 8gen Information
information
0 chain rattle 322 19th March 2014 - 06:20 AM
Last post by: chain rattle

Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 12:57 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement