Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Lancer Forum > 2008+ Lancer > Performance
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Exhaust Noises
Athrun88
post Jun 19 2012, 06:00 PM
Post #1

Senior

Group: Members
Member No.: 56,674
Drives: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GT (Octane Blue)

Not sure how many people check here anymore but I'll give it a shot.

For the past few months, my 09 Lancer has been giving off a nasty noise on acceleration. Almost sounds similar to a 2-stroke engine on a lawnmower. You can hear the distinct sound of the pistons working (Putt putt putt like sound).

I have gone under and checked the exhaust tubing and didn't find anything. The noise does not occur on idle or in neutral. It has only happened during acceleration. Getting rather annoying now as it sounds like I have a broken car now. Would like to bounce some ideas as I don't have too much extra cash to throw at getting a new exhaust on a whim. Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
SRSONE
post Jun 20 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 59,794
Drives: 2007 OUTLANDER ES with the v6 and the 6 speed(no flappy paddles),2001 kia rio,1979 chevy k20 stepside

cracked manifold maybe?

and you might still be under warranty for that... dont forget to double check

QuoteReply
Athrun88
post Jun 20 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #3

Senior

Thanks for the reply. Read up on your diagnosis and it sounds like it's it. Did a search and everyone else's symptoms sound the same or similar to what I have. Any recommendations? Possible to do it on my own if I had a lift and tools? I haven't done any searching on getting parts yet; but if you could give me a ballpark idea, that would be great.

I don't think i'm in warranty anymore. I have racked 175,000km on the car and the new car warranty in canada for the lancer goes up to 160,000. Is there another, deeper, warranty that I'm not aware of? Thanks again in advance.

QuoteReply
SRSONE
post Jun 21 2012, 08:34 AM
Post #4

Veteran

Member No.: 59,794
Drives: 2007 OUTLANDER ES with the v6 and the 6 speed(no flappy paddles),2001 kia rio,1979 chevy k20 stepside

dont know about canadian warranties..but if you are over 100,000 miles...i dont think you have any left either...unless you bought any kind of aftermarket or extended warranty...

but a manifold could possibly be welded...you should be able to take the cover off and find it...but being up in canada..its probably rusted to hell and gone...

replacing it may be another matter ..it has a warm up cat built into it iirc...new would probably be a couple of hundred dollars(US)

QuoteReply
Abb
post Jun 22 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Senior

Member No.: 69,435
Drives: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

Could it be just a spark plug?. I know if you hear putting, it could definitely be a spark plug too. But only under acceleration sounds like pressure being built and like you already figured, manifold?

QuoteReply
Athrun88
post Jun 23 2012, 03:32 PM
Post #6

Senior

I haven't taken the cover off yet. She's cooling off as we speak on ramps so I can take a peek. I thought of plugs as well, and will check them as well while she's cool. Would either of you have some instruction on properly taking off the cover off the manifold? I see 5 or so bolts (rusted to hell) but not sure if there's anything else. Thanks again!

QuoteReply
Athrun88
post Jun 23 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #7

Senior

Been doing alittle more research. She's still cooling so I have some time =p.

Is it possible that, given the amount of mileage and weather conditions, the gasket has been worn through? I am hoping and praying that the manifold (if it is) is not damaged and it's just the gasket that needs replacing. That would be a much cheaper problem I'm sure.

Others who have similar symptoms have mentioned this so I thought i'd ask. I'm technical, but not as familiar as I'd want to be with the intimate workings of an engine.

QuoteReply
Athrun88
post Nov 16 2012, 12:56 AM
Post #8

Senior

Big triple post.

If anyone stumbled onto this thread in the future, I found the solution!

I realize it has been a long while since i've lived with this problem. Finally got someone to look at it and it turned out to be a blown donut gasket! Apparently (I wasn't there, girlfriend took the car in because I had work) there was a hole the size of two thumbs. Replaced it and 40$ later, car is running smooth again.

QuoteReply
Abb
post Dec 2 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #9

Senior

Member No.: 69,435
Drives: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

lol good stuff. glad you figured it out

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Exhaust Smell In Cabin
6 outlanderjeff 1,419 10th November 2011 - 03:20 PM
Last post by: Outy
No New Posts Exhaust Install Troubles
i eventually got it... but after a fight! still shorted some parts
3 matt09lancer 450 5th August 2011 - 12:51 AM
Last post by: davidthompson
No New Posts Exhaust Leak?
8 loworange88 549 12th April 2011 - 09:54 AM
Last post by: SRSONE
No New Posts Exhaust
1 COMBATKILLER03 298 10th March 2011 - 01:19 AM
Last post by: jRox
No New Posts Exhaust System Pressure.
4 bryan_root 144 31st January 2011 - 12:57 PM
Last post by: SRSONE

Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 01:32 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement