Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Galant Forum > 9G (2004-Present) Galant
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 3.8l V6 Spark Plugs
Laser4G63
post Nov 10 2006, 07:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,174
Drives: '04 Galant GTS, 98 GMC 3500

This is a heads up for everyone out there. I have visited various online autoparts sites and noticed that they have the wrong listing for the spark plugs for the 3.8l V6 cars. The gap is NOT .044" as mentioned on their sites, therefore the spark plug they have listed is wrong also. Here is an email I received from NGK, the manufacturer of the OE plug:

I just spoke with a Mitsubishi dealer about this. From what they show by application for this vehicle, FR6EI stock no. 2687 is correct. This plug will come out of the box close to .032. No further gap adjustment is recommended.

Not to mention the spark plugs that NGK has listed on their site is also the wrong heat range. They have a hotter plug listed. (with NGK plugs, the lower the number 4-5-6-7, etc. the hotter the plugs will run) That combined with a lot wider gap could be potentially hazardous to your car.

I am not sure why NGK hasn't changed this information, kinda curious because they even admitted that it was, in fact, wrong. Hope this helps someone out there before they waste a lot of money on a set of plugs.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
unknown_owner
post Nov 2 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,563
Drives: none

There is just too much incorrect info all around. NGK's website says the Galant 04 3.8L should use IFR5E-11 (7994) which like you said has a 0.44" gap. Well when I use the stock number from the email above, 2687, it points to the FR6EI but it says it for 2005 Eclipses GT/GTS.

So which plug to get now? do I go by the FR6EI or do I go by what NGK says is for the Galant 04?

QuoteReply
Laser4G63
post Nov 10 2007, 02:37 PM
Post #3

Use the FR6EI plugs and get ready for price shock. They are ~$11 a piece. They are an iridium plug, so that's why they are so pricey. You may be able to use a standard copper NGK plug, but DO NOT use that numbers that NGK or any of the auto parts stores list because they also have the wrong part numbers. The best numbers for NGK I could find are BKR6ES or a cheaper iridium plus BKR6EIX. Hope this helps.

QuoteReply
tsduke
post Nov 17 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 48,080
Drives: 2004 Galant GTS

How big of a job is replacing plugs on the 3.8?

QuoteReply
unknown_owner
post Jan 20 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #5

HAven't done it yet but I'm looking at doing it soon. Wish someone else has done it first

QuoteReply
waynerwats
post Feb 12 2008, 02:54 PM
Post #6

Expert

Member No.: 40,260
Drives: 1996 Eclipse GS M/T, 2006 Eclipse GT 6sp M/T

how many miles do you have on your car that you are thinking about replacing iridium plugs already? the fronts are easy the back 3 you need to remove the intake manifold.

QuoteReply
unknown_owner
post Feb 27 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #7

I have 84,000 miles on my 04, so I decided to replace the spark plugs. I bought these NGK BKR6EIX Spark Plug from amazon.com for about $37 for 6 of them. Good deal I couldn't pass up.

The front 3 were easy; it's the back 3 that look like they are painful but weren't really all that bad. I had to remove the header but had instructions on what needed to be removed. One thing to look out for is the vacuum hose that is attached to solenoid valve on the top righthand side of the header. Don't pull on the hose to dislodge it from the valve, gently remove it.

QuoteReply
Laser4G63
post Mar 23 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #8

I had replaced the OE iridiums with the NGK BKR6ES (copper) plugs and are doing fine. In fact in the last 2 fill ups, I actually gained 2-3 MPG (only time will tell if that will hold up). I only spent $12 for the entire set of plugs as opposed to that much for just one. Personally, I think iridium plugs are a scam, another "snake oil" gimmick. I have used normal copper plugs in turbo cars for years and if they can handle a forced induction environment, then they are just fine for a N/A engine.

QuoteReply
Laser4G63
post Oct 21 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #9

It's been almost 7 months since I installed the copper plugs and all has been good. I inspected them this past weekend and look great, they looked a lot better than the iridiums did when I changed them back in March. In fact, they are still gapped at .030". Gas mileage has been the same, no decrease from my last report.

So, for around $12 for a set of plugs as opposed to that much for just one, I will definitely be using the NGK coppers from now on. To me, the iridiums are just not worth it.

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsSpark Plug Guide Seals?
1 earpon 708 29th February 2012 - 10:03 PM
Last post by: earpon
No New Posts Spark Plugs!
Have we found a verdict??
22 gottligm 2,066 14th October 2011 - 11:52 AM
Last post by: gottligm
No New Posts Spark Plugs
1 andy2b 823 14th May 2011 - 05:55 PM
Last post by: andy2b
No New Posts Spark Plugs Sooting Up
9 slogger 769 19th November 2010 - 05:12 PM
Last post by: slogger
No New Posts V6 Build
4 bubbaracing680 555 17th September 2010 - 11:00 PM
Last post by: countryrunner455

Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 04:08 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement