Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > L300, L400, Delica, Exceed & Starwagon Forum
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Oil Leaks
manbau1
post Jun 15 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,894
Drives: 89 mitsubishi starwagon

Hi Guys, I have an 89 2.0 ltr starwagon that has just had the motor reconditioned and when i got it home noticed an oil leak. Back to the mechanic and he put it on the hoist and said it was coming from the fuel pump so after $3695.00 i spent $80.00 on a new pump fitted free and have discovered oil on the ground again. The mechanic said that he thought it was the power steering pump as the alternator was covered in oil but it looks more like engine oil to me. Is there anywhere else it could be coming from after they put it together ?. What would it cost to put a kit in the powersteering pump ? I will be taking it back but need to start becoming a little bit educated on this vehicle so they can stop trying to pull the wool over my eyes.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
brandy
post Jun 15 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 33,315
Drives: 1996 Pajero 1989 Ford ute 1996 Ford Festiva (Aspire)

Hi & welcome
Problem with oil leaks is that they aren't always in the most obvious area can you clean the engine & run it for a little while & see if you can pinpoint it for your self. Rocker cover gaskets if leaking can seam like the oil leak is lower when the oil is warm it flows very easy. I think I would be looking for another mechanic at least for a second opion considering the amount of dollars you have already spent.
Hope this helps a little

QuoteReply
manbau1
post Jun 16 2007, 04:08 AM
Post #3

Thanks Brandy, I purchased some degreaser today and will check it. It seems to be dropping from power streering side. If I didn't enjoy driving it so much I would have got rid of it, Thanks again.

QuoteReply
brandy
post Jun 17 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #4

Hi
Now that it looks like power steering problem check the hoses for tightness & cracks mechanics quiet often undo the brackets & leave the hoses connected & tie the pump up out of the way to remove the motor maybe a hose was dmaged. Or have the motor running & seats up work the steering wheel & look for leaks the power steering works under fair pressure be carefull the oil can spray a long way. Wouldn't like you to rekit the pump if the prob is a hose.
regards Brandy

QuoteReply
manbau1
post Jun 18 2007, 02:47 AM
Post #5

Hi Brandy, I just degreased the motor,gearbox and wherever degreaser hit and after driving and if it stops raining i will check it. Another thing i have noticed since getting it back and thats when driving at night all of a sudden the dash lights become way bright and then back as they were, starting to think it may be haunted .....Mark

QuoteReply
big yellow
post Jun 18 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 40,348
Drives: L300 4WD

hiya,i got a car back from a mechanics once and after doing the valve clearences hed put the rocker cover back on a wire had got caught between the head and cover,took quite a while to find where the oil wascomin from,just a thought. Shane

QuoteReply
yby
post Jun 18 2007, 03:26 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 39,811
Drives: STARWAGON

Engine Oil leak and your mechanic changed the fuel pump??? Time for a different mechanic?

QuoteReply
manbau1
post Jun 18 2007, 07:16 AM
Post #8

Thanks for your input yby, but when the van was on the hoist i saw where the oil was leaking from the fuel pump, but you made me think so i checked and if you go to page 113 of the gregory's manual for l300 1980-1986 you will read in section 5 when installing the fuel pump that you should start the engine and rectify any fuel or oil leaks , mine is an 89 model but the fuel pumps work the same.

QuoteReply
brandy
post Jun 18 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #9

Hi Manbau1
Haunted yea!! sounds very possible considering your run of luck. Electrical probs where do you start sometimes it makes you feel like all you want to do is reach for the handle on the beer fridge or that bottle of bourbon you have been saving. Bad or loose connections damaged wires moisture bad earths. All you can do is have the alternator output checked, check wires for damage & tightness check all earth connections. Try & remember what accessories you were using at the time lights stereo etc
Have fun
cheers
Dave

QuoteReply
manbau1
post Jun 19 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #10

Hey Dave, just checked under the car, so far so good, would have been to easy to have hit it with the gerny when repairs were being done but i guess that would have been extra. If i get a chance i will post all the prices i was charged in case others are interested...Mark

QuoteReply
manbau1
post Jun 19 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #11

Found the oil leak , its coming from the top of the power steering pump. There are 2 rubber o rings and burnt transmission oil was finding its way onto the cross member. Just as a matter of interest fuel pump cost $79.90 this time and in feb 2006 another mech charged me $138.00

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Oil Pressure Gauge Not Reading
3 LCM 95 7th May 2014 - 06:04 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts Oil Pressure Sensor?
2 byates2 611 28th April 2014 - 03:42 PM
Last post by: chuzz
No New Posts Oil In Spark Plug Holes
2 camper66 778 7th September 2013 - 12:20 PM
Last post by: camper66
No New Posts Oil Pan Gasket
How hard to replace?
1 cc_coupe 663 3rd March 2012 - 01:42 PM
Last post by: Mranderson
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsOil Pressure Switch
11 editor 1,270 19th January 2012 - 09:25 AM
Last post by: elgato1013

Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 10:53 PM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement