Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Endeavor Forum
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Spare Keys
mikkojay
post Feb 1 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,242
Drives: 2004 Endeavor

Hello All-
I just wanted to relay my recent experience with acquiring a spare key for my 2004 Endeavor. It all started when I looked into getting a remote start unit for my vehicle. I was told that since my (our) car uses a transponder key, that a spare located under the dash would be necessary to fool the vehicle's security system. I was then told that I would have to visit the dealer to get the extra key and have it programmed. The next day, I called the dealer about it. I was told that the cost of the spare key, tax, and a programming service charge would amount to approximately $100! I then blew the idea off for about a month. Next thing you know, while surfing ebay, I come across a spare transponder key for a 2004 Endeavor for $20 with shipping. I can't recall if I blinked before ordering it- showed up in the mail last night. I took it to the local hardware store where they cut it for free. I then followed the quick reference guide (a copy was included with the new key blank) using my two original keys. The procedure worked as expected, and I now have a working third key for an investment of $20. Just thought you all might be interested. Next step is to go shopping for remote starters...
Thanks, Mike
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
toc8g
post Feb 1 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,701
Drives: 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor

QUOTE(mikkojay @ Feb 1 2005, 10:40 PM)
Hello All-
I just wanted to relay my recent experience with acquiring a spare key for my 2004 Endeavor.  It all started when I looked into getting a remote start unit for my vehicle.  I was told that since my (our) car uses a transponder key, that a spare located under the dash would be necessary to fool the vehicle's security system.  I was then told that I would have to visit the dealer to get the extra key and have it programmed.  The next day, I called the dealer about it.  I was told that the cost of the spare key, tax, and a programming service charge would amount to approximately $100!  I then blew the idea off for about a month.  Next thing you know, while surfing ebay, I come across a spare transponder key for a 2004 Endeavor for $20 with shipping.  I can't recall if I blinked before ordering it- showed up in the mail last night.  I took it to the local hardware store where they cut it for free.  I then followed the quick reference guide (a copy was included with the new key blank) using my two original keys.  The procedure worked as expected, and I now have a working third key for an investment of $20.  Just thought you all might be interested.  Next step is to go shopping for remote starters...
Thanks, Mike
[right][snapback]6971[/snapback][/right]

So let me get this right,....you bought a uncut Mitsubishi Endeavor Key on Ebay,...took it to get cut at a regular key cutter place where they did it for free.....then used a copy of instructions that was included with your uncut key you bought on ebay to program that key that you bought!? If thats the way you did it thats awesome!!! I would like to pass that info on to others that is very useful info! Did you have to use your two other keys for this process as well!??

QuoteReply
mikkojay
post Feb 2 2005, 01:42 AM
Post #3

Exactly!
If you bought your car new, the same instructions that have some generic stereo info and clock settings (its folded like a map in the glovebox) has the same info as the printed instruction sheet that comes in the mail with the new key. What you do after you have the new key's teeth cut to match your existing key is this:
Have two already programmed keys ready-
Place the first good key in the ign. and switch it to "on" for 5 secs, then take it out.
Within 7 secs., place good key 2 in the ign. and turn to "on".
oh man, I don't feel like typing this- let me grab the camera-

I'll even try to track down the ebay link-

my sale:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...DME:B:EOAB:US:6

seller's ebay store, incase the above link goes dead:
http://stores.ebay.com/KeyGirl-biz_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

I had the key cut at Ace Hardware at 90th & Maple St. in Omaha, NE.
The guy said he couldn't be responsible if he messed it up, but he just put my primary key in the jig & copied it like a regular key. Since I did not buy the blank, he did not know how much to charge. He looked around for a minute and just said, "that's cool" and waved me out the door.

I'm just glad to save myself some cash and hopefully anyone else who might have been wondering about how to go about doing this-

Thanks, Mike
Attached File(s)
Attached File  key.JPG ( 894.62K ) Number of downloads: 531
Attached File  guide.JPG ( 1.27MB ) Number of downloads: 316

QuoteReply
van
post Feb 2 2005, 04:56 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,038
Drives: 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor XLS AWD

Dude you rock!! Thanks for the heads up I just ordered a new key for the exact same reason. I had to order it from anchorage since there are no mitsu dealers here in fairbanks..anyway I was worrying about how I was gonna program the new key but you saved me the hassle. Thanks Again. Tim

QuoteReply
NDTracer
post Feb 2 2005, 08:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,047

Mine only came with one key so I just paid the $100 to get a second. I did read that in the manual about programming but the mechanic/service man who sold me the key said that method only works one time. I got the impression it is for emergency use but that never made sense why would I have an emergency to make a 3rd key? I wanted to try with just 1 programmed key but didn't.

As for the autostart mine is scheduled for the 14th to get one installed and they never said anything about a key. It is already paid for too when I bought the unit so if it is required they will be paying for it.

QuoteReply
toc8g
post Feb 3 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,701
Drives: 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor

Wow! You definatly rock Dude!! That is one of the best topics on this forum! You make me proud!!! Knowledge can go along way! If we keep this up we might have to be called The Endeavor Center!!!! HAHAHA!!! TEC!!! ;)

QuoteReply
mikkojay
post Feb 4 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #7

I'm glad this topic was useful to some of you!
I know that soon after I got my Endeavor, one of the first things that I thought about was extra keys- so its not too surprising that others were right there too. Transponder keys cost a little more and are not quite so simple to deal with, but hopefully that will make the thieves pass our vehicles by and move on to the easy ones.
If you have good stuff, pass it around! That's what I used to do at Phish shows, anyway...
Thanks, Mike

QuoteReply
Azrael
post Feb 18 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,489
Drives: 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor

I just purchased a 2004 LS (used) and was wondering how I would know if my key is a transponder ker?? Unfortunately my vehicle came with no user manual..paers, etc...I bought it from a Hyundai dealer...go figure.

QuoteReply
NDTracer
post Feb 18 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Azrael @ Feb 18 2005, 01:38 PM)
I just purchased a 2004 LS (used) and was wondering how I would know if my key is a transponder ker??

I didn't think mine was either but when I went to get it duplicated they had a thing they could slide the key in to check if there was a chip in it or not and mine was.

QuoteReply
V1V1AN
post Feb 18 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,339
Drives: 2004 ENDEAVOR

QUOTE(NDTracer @ Feb 2 2005, 07:50 AM)
Mine only came with one key so I just paid the $100 to get a second.  I did read that in the manual about programming but the mechanic/service man who sold me the key said that method only works one time.  I got the impression it is for emergency use but that never made sense why would I have an emergency to make a 3rd key?  I wanted to try with just 1 programmed key but didn't.

As for the autostart mine is scheduled for the 14th to get one installed and they never said anything about a key.  It is already paid for too when I bought the unit so if it is required they will be paying for it.
[right][snapback]7018[/snapback][/right]

mine they use my vallet key.Mine came with 2 black and one green(valley)

QuoteReply
NDTracer
post Feb 21 2005, 09:11 AM
Post #11

I suppose the vallet would work too. I only got 1 key total so that wasn't an option either.

I think I have mine almost complete with add on's. I have added a hitch and wired for a brake controller so the only other thing I am thinking is a tranny cooler if I need it. Or maybe those silverstars. Where did you get yours for that price?

QuoteReply
OSOGUZMAN
post Mar 17 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 7,328
Drives: 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor XLS

I just got an extra key(transponder) ordered through ebaymotors as well. $20.00 bucks for the blank. I paid $2.00 bucks for the local hardware store guy to use their key cutter to cut my key. Brought the key home, followed the instructions on how to set the third key up and it works like a champ. I have a 2004 Endeavor XLS AWD. :thumbsup:
Email keygirl77@hotmail.com for further information regarding the extra keys for sale or look on ebaymotors for the store by the same name keygirl. :57:

QuoteReply
Fishcounter
post Nov 23 2005, 11:00 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,852
Drives: 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor

I have not yet installed Remote Start on my Endeavor, however I did on my previous vehicle, Ford Taurus. The installer for the remote starter suggested I cut off the metal part (with the teeth) from the key, so there isnt actually a usable key inside the car. This would help to avoid theft and potential insurance claim problems if ever the car was stolen. So what I did for my Taurus is get a key from a salvage yard for $5 and programmed it so my car would recognize the chip, that way the key I left inside the car would not actually start the vehicle as you could not turn it in the ignition. This works for Fords, but I donít know if it will work for Mitsubishi. Itís a cheap solution and provides added security.

If anyone trys it let me know if this works with the Mitsubishi so I can do this when I install my Remote starter.

QuoteReply
chrissd
post Jan 5 2006, 02:11 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 19,356
Drives: eclipse 2000

I only got 1 working key, any idea how to program a second key?

Thanks, Christer

QuoteReply
mlim82480
post Jan 30 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 20,517
Drives: Montero Sport 2000 XLS

Hi, I also only have one key and need to program a new one. Can someone tell me if I can still program a new key with one working key?

QuoteReply
mikey in newmark...
post Feb 6 2006, 02:40 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,864
Drives: 2004 mitsubishi endeavor

Hi, i just got my third key on ebay and had it cut. I followed the instructions from the booklet from mitsubishi and i can't get the key to work...anyone with any ideas??

QuoteReply
V1V1AN
post Jan 25 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,339
Drives: 2004 ENDEAVOR

hello everyone again.Just want to know if possible to program new key if i have a remote start already with transponder key bypass installed.I tied to program my new key with N stamp on it but keeps failling.I lost my oem key.All i have left is one black,one gray that was isntalled on the bypass box and one new one that i bought in ebay.But i can't get this thing program.I did try the instruction but after a soon that i put the new key the flashing light comes off. <_< need help please...........................................thanks

QuoteReply
TLindh373
post Jan 26 2007, 07:00 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 33,109
Drives: 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor XLS AWD

Hey guys, the key idea idea is a great tip. I got mine from streetkeys.com, $20. I had a hard time finding a hardware store that was willing to cut it, or could do it correctly, but eventually I did, and the guy did it for free.
My problem is that when I program it, I'm pretty sure i do it right. But then I go into the computer, on the 2004 XLS model, and it still tells me that only 2 keys are registered. When you guys setup the third key, did it register on the computer too? I started the car with each key and let it run for about 5 minutes with each one, and the car ran fine, never shut off, I only had it in park though. I figured if the programming was no good on the new key, the car would shut off soon, right??h

QuoteReply
luckyrer
post Jul 20 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 42,105
Drives: 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS

Great... I'm in the same boat.... I need a spare key for my 2001 Montero Sport. Do you hav a link to a pwer seller on ebay?
Thanks

QuoteReply
manybrews
post Jul 20 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #20

Mitsu tech. For a LONG time.

Member No.: 20,898
Drives: 97 diamante.

you can only add a spare key if you have 2 functional keys already.

and that feature was only added around 2003. before that you needed the dealership.

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Spare Tire Tpms
1 SiR Will 158 4th October 2009 - 10:16 PM
Last post by: SRSONE
No New Posts Spare Key?
4 coolasice 710 30th September 2009 - 02:18 PM
Last post by: coolasice

Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 10:38 PM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement