Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Lancer Forum > 2008+ Lancer > Suspension, Wheels and Tires
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 2008 Lancer Gts, Resetting the TMPS light
bd031972
post Dec 18 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 49,501
Drives: 2008 Lancer GTS

I have seen many posts on the TPMS going off when you change out your tires but I do have a question.

I recently bought a 2008 Lancer GTS and drove it in one New England snow storm before I realized these are not the tires for snow. I bought new tires, rims, and tire pressure monitors from Tire rack (since I didn't want to transfer them from one set of rims to another). I got a great deal at 869 with shipping and taxes. The issue is the car thinks I have an error with the TPMS. I have the little light and the display now has a "service required" message. I called Tire Rack and they said I need to go back to the dealer and have the computer reset (at a cost of course) and if I do this, I will need to do it again when I put the original rims back on the car in the spring.

Has anyone found a way to reset the computer to sync it up with new sensors? I know I can clear the error by holding the info button but I want the light to go away and the error not to come back when I open a car door. I had a 99 Grand Am years ago that had a reset button hidden in the fuse box for the TPMS that was on that car. There has to be a better way then going to the dealer 2 times a year and paying to have it reset.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
rox
post Dec 18 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #2

<-~._-=*"!!"*=-_.~->

Member No.: 45,225
Drives: 2009 Lancer GTS 2.4L (5speed m/t)

One thing that comes to mind is perhaps disconnect the battery? I'm not sure if there is no backup power and memory for this vehicle (sorta like RAM in a computer). Put perhaps that could work? Don't quote me though, I'm pulling this outta my wazoo.
Maybe see if you can talk to your dealer and perhaps they could just tell you where to press or what cable to pull or something - worth a shot.

And BTW, I hear ya on the tires! They're horrible for winter.

QuoteReply
topheragain
post Dec 18 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 45,598
Drives: 2008 mitsubishi lancer GTS

Yeah there have been two big snows here in Minnesota, and the main roads are plowed asap! yes i agree the tires blow major BALLS' but its not worth it for me to spend $1,000 to get steelies and winter tires. Although i work at sams club and i could get winter tires there to fit the stock 18's and charge them to a sams discover, and then return them when winters over with 0 interest and 0 payments and say i didnt like how loud they were. ROFL true story.

but as far as the sensor not sure im sure they have to hook up to your cars computer and hit three buttons.

1. power
2. reset Tpms
3. power

$ Ok, thats $100

QuoteReply
bd031972
post Jan 15 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #4

Ok, so after a month of fighting with Tirerack and a Mitsubishi dealership each blaming the other for the new sensors not working, I finally went to a different dealer. This dealer had a "special tool" that could reset the TPMS in my car. The first dealer was clueless on this tool.

He plugged into the computer with some connector and had this wand thing that he waved over each tire, took it for a test drive and now everything is fine. It took him about 25 minutes to do it so of course I got charged 30 minutes worth of labor (40 bucks in the US).

Downside.... Mitsubishi only allows one set of sensors to be monitored by the TPMS (not the case with other cars). So that means come the spring I get to shell out another 40 bucks to get my stock 18 inch rims to work correctly with the car. I called Tirerack back and because I wasn't told this, they are giving me a credit (a whopping 50 bucks).

I really hope this "special tool" becomes mass produced at a cheap cost so I can reset it myself.

Hope this all helps to those who swap out their stock tires for winter ones and they buy the extra sensors.

If I had to do it again.. I would save my money and not buy the sensors and deal with the anoying lite on the dashboard and resetting the computer each time I start it.

QuoteReply
CamShaft25
post Feb 16 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 41,480
Drives: 2008 Mitsu Lancer GTS S&S 5SPD

This special tool is mitsubishi's MUT IIII program that does their code reading and diagnostics for the ECU. I have one at work but for Mitsubishi FUSO's (1-3 ton trucks)

QuoteReply
lancerOX
post May 7 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 54,215
Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer DE

so anyways I just bought rims from a private seller. (Old school style) had the mounted, balanced w.e and now this **** TPMS is lighting up. the dealership told me they would charge me 200 dollars to have the sensors installed on the new tires and for the reset. Is there any news on how to just disable that feature?

QuoteReply
bd031972
post May 14 2008, 06:24 AM
Post #7

It is a federal law now that all 2008 and above cars have this so there will be no way to disable it and have it pass inspections. Look at tire rack for the sensors or if you have your original rims you can get them from those and install them into the new rims and you won't need the system re-programmed.

QuoteReply
germanwolf35
post Jan 30 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 47,898
Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I have an 08 Lancer GTS. One of my TPMS sensors is sorta messed up too. The actual sensor isn't bad, the aluminum neck actually cracked. Does anyone have one where their sensor is bad & the neck is still perfect? I'd like to repair this one if I can.

Please e-mail me if you have a good neck. As far as I can see, all I need to do is remove that tiny t-screw and move the wire, then I can pull out the old neck & put in a new one.

germanwolf31@yahoo.com

Clarksville TN

James

QuoteReply
SRSONE
post Jan 30 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #9

Veteran

Member No.: 59,794
Drives: 2007 OUTLANDER ES with the v6 and the 6 speed(no flappy paddles),2001 kia rio,1979 chevy k20 stepside

u mean the nut on the outside is cracked?..or u mean the neck that goes down into the sensor?

the nuts are available from any mitsu dealer....

and when u get the new ones..they only tighten to a certain point...they are also only useable once...

if its the sensor it should be covered under your 5/60 if u are the original owner

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 2008 Spyder Installing A Bike Rack On The Spyder
2 salilsurendran 60 14th September 2014 - 09:19 PM
Last post by: bumpn
No New Posts Lancer Gts 2009 Mmcs Head Unit Reset Cd
i need a way to reset the unit charlotte nc
0 ang34 27 12th September 2014 - 09:38 AM
Last post by: ang34
No New Posts 2008 Lancer Original Mmcs Isue
DVD lens
0 kondl 19 28th August 2014 - 02:32 AM
Last post by: kondl
No New Posts Lancer Odbii Port
Where is it?
1 pilchardfish 335 30th July 2014 - 06:48 PM
Last post by: edumspeed
No New Posts 2008 Lancer Gts Blower Motor Stuck On High
My HVAC fan suddenly went to high and the control knob won't affec
5 scandyl 111 8th July 2014 - 10:29 AM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549

Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 09:06 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement