Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Lancer Forum > 2007 and Below Lancer > General Discussion
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Rear Brake Drum Removal
Humphrey351
post Apr 15 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 56,111
Drives: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

Hi all! Newbie here on two levels...first level I just joined the site and this is my first post...second level, new to import car ownership, recently bought a used 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer ES...normally I am an ol' timer with the early american cars (pre 70's)...but I've always appreciated ALL brands, makes and models no matter what country of origin...just never owned an import before...got to say, at the very least the gas mileage alone makes it worth owning!

Anyways, I've owned the Lancer for a few months, and the brakes were starting to make noise, typical sound of pads needing to be replaced. So I went and got my front disc pads and rear shoes. I went and replaced the front pads already, but honestly they looked brand new still, yet that is where the noise was coming from! They did look a bit "glazed" so maybe that was the cause of the noise.

Now my question is the rear drums...How in the heck do you get the drums off? I tried and tried but no matter how hard I pulled, they wouldn't budge. On another site, someone told me that there are two small holes in the drum and that I need to run a small bolt into each of them, and slowly alternate turning each one a little and the drum should "pop" off...is this right? and if so...any idea as to what size that little bolt would be? It looked like an 8mm, but when I tried one it was too big. Is is a 7mm or maybe smaller? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mike
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
ronadinho10
post May 20 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 53,769
Drives: 2003 Lancer OZ Rally

Hi, i own a 2003 lancer, it is really simple what you do is put a lot of sylicone grease on the bolts. im not really sure what size they are, but they have to fit firmly. start tightening the bolts alternating and you will hear crackling noise inside the drum. the drum will start to come loose the more you tighten the bolts. Try to replace the drums when u have not driven the car and they are not hot cuz the shoes might b swollen after driving so its easier to remove them. REMEMBER TO PUT GREASE ON THE BOLTS. Now i hope you have worked on drum brakes before cuz they may b a little challenging if you havent done it before.
Good luck with the car and lancers are the best !!

QuoteReply
Humphrey351
post May 20 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 56,111
Drives: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

Thanks for the reply.

The same day I posted this, I finally found out how to remove them form another site, the trick for me was to try and figure out what size bolt to use!! Luckily I have the ever essential "bucket o' bolts in my shed and found two that were the right size, I threaded them in and alternated the turns and the drum just popped right off!

I've worked on drums brakes a lot, seeing as most of my cars have been older American models, so it was no biggie once the drums were off...but honsetly, taking them apart and reassembling them had to be the easiest ones I ever worked on!

Now when I changed the brakes, front and rear, it was due to a kind of "grinding" noise...you know the sound that happens when the pad has no material left and you are doing metal to metal :crying: ...well when I looked at them, all pads and shoes where still very thick, no metal to metal contact at all, but they did look kind of glazed, so I changed them all out anyway.

Now I got a loud squeek from the front when I brake...I followed all the insturctions in the manual and reassembled them, but it can be kind of loud from time to time, especially when it has rained...anyone got any ideas on how to eliminate this? Do I need to remove the front pads and apply anything to the back of the pads, like the lube that American cars use? They didn't come with anything to put on the back like that, do I need to buy anything special?

Thanks!
Mike

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Rear Shock Absorber Removal
rear shocks and interior plastic removal
5 elgato1013 921 6th June 2014 - 10:46 AM
Last post by: OutlanderPgh
No New Posts Brake Upgrade
10 SRSONE 2,154 11th April 2014 - 10:25 AM
Last post by: SRSONE
No New Posts Brakes
6 arnmeadows24 1,692 31st March 2014 - 02:42 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts Rear Lock For The New L200
1 roseng 187 6th February 2014 - 12:29 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts Brake Caliper
1 Philip J Fry 778 8th July 2013 - 06:35 AM
Last post by: 94STAR

Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 05:04 PM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement