Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Lancer Forum > 2008+ Lancer > Interiors and Exteriors
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> How To Take Out Tail Lights?
KaranB
post Aug 7 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #21

Senior

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,362
Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I tried to remove my tail light housing but it wouldnt budge! I pulled and pulled, rocked it everywhich way but it just wouldnt come off. Granted it was in the middle of winter, -20c outside, so it might've been frozen solid. But I gave up, and didnt want to risk breaking any plastic pieces :(

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
freakingwilly
post Aug 7 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #22

Mod with a Hammer
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 45,539
Drives: 2008 EBP Lancer GTS

QUOTE(KaranB @ Aug 7 2008, 12:06 AM)
I tried to remove my tail light housing but it wouldnt budge! I pulled and pulled, rocked it everywhich way but it just wouldnt come off. Granted it was in the middle of winter, -20c outside, so it might've been frozen solid. But I gave up, and didnt want to risk breaking any plastic pieces :(
[right][snapback]191150[/snapback][/right]

It's really easy. I've been swapping out tail lights lately, trying to find out how to fix the stupid LED brake light/cruise control problem and I've pretty much mastered the tail light removal. Here's how you do it (all directions are for the LEFT housing, please compensate when working on your RIGHT housing):

1.) Remove the screws from the housing.
2.) Place your fingers from your right hand behind clamp that holds the screws in.
3.) Place your left palm right over the side tail marker on the brake light housing (it's the small bulb just after the turn signal).
4.) While pressing downwards (towards the ground) with your left hand, gently pull the housing away from the car.
5.) With your right hand, gently rock the housing left and right.
6.) After a few rocks, the housing should pop out.

The reason you want to push downwards is to keep the housing from popping upwards when you take it out, which is how I ended up chipping my housing. It's super easy and if I had a better camera, I'd take a video too.

QuoteReply
KaranB
post Aug 8 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #23

Senior

Ok thanks man, its a warm day today, so I'll give it a try!

Is it even worth replacing the tail and brake lights with red LED's? I cant imagine the color will be any different.

QuoteReply
freakingwilly
post Aug 8 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #24

Mod with a Hammer
Group Icon

Honestly, I think they are. LEDs last much longer than filament bulbs, they draw less current, and they don't get as hot either (which also contributes to the longer lifespan). Furthermore, if you colormatch the LEDs to the housing (red to red), the effect produced at night is astounding. You get this deep crimson color from your brake lights and it looks absolutely AMAZING.

If you take a look at the stock bulbs, they are all clear. Clear filament bulbs create a yellowish white light and if you combine that to the red of the housing, you get this slightly orange glow from your tails. I prefer to have my red brake lights... well, red!

:grin: and yes, the blue text was deliberate.

QuoteReply
KaranB
post Aug 9 2008, 03:05 AM
Post #25

Senior

Ah yes I see what you mean. Ok you're tempting me! If I can successfully get the housing off this weekend, I'll order new brake/tail lights :)

QuoteReply
freakingwilly
post Aug 9 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #26

Mod with a Hammer
Group Icon

How about I get some videos and/or pictures before you finally decide? I'll even put the old stock bulbs in so you can see the difference :grin:

There is a problem with putting LEDs in your brake lights and I think you remember it. Cruise control won't work anymore and sometimes all the other LEDs in your car will turn on when you press your brakes (like the city lights). I did find a solution to the problem... with a small catch. You know how your brake lights dimly turn on when you turn on your city lights? Well, now mine remain off no matter what. They only time they turn on is if I press my brakes. My tail markers and side tail markers still turn on in a dim state, so I'm still visible at night.

QuoteReply
KaranB
post Aug 9 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #27

Senior

Hmm i actually did not know about that problem! :huh: I guess if thats the problem, its not worth removing the housings just for the sidemarker lights. And I'm not sure I wanna go through the trouble of peeling my trunk lining to change the tail light :( Hmmm

QuoteReply
freakingwilly
post Aug 9 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #28

Mod with a Hammer
Group Icon

It's just the brake lights themselves. The side marker brake lights and the tail markers work perfectly fine. And like I said before, there is a fix for them... it's just that they don't dimly turn on with your city lights.

Plus you need to remove the housing in order to change your brake lights themselves.

And it's super easy to remove the trunk lining... :grin:

QuoteReply
Yoemama
post Aug 10 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #29

Senior

Member No.: 58,263
Drives: 2008 Lancer es

oh boy! and i planned on ordering my LED's tomorrow ...oh well i want that Real Red Light!!! haha ima do it anyways i will be happy in the end i will get some night pics of 1 side red and 1 side led to show the difference for people

QuoteReply
08Lancer89
post Aug 11 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 39,194
Drives: 2008 Lancer GTS Electric Blue

I am getting some Tint Vinyl and I am going to try and do the ralliart look.

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Tail Light Question
2 zoso0 328 28th January 2014 - 12:39 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts How Can I Keep The Trip Computer Working With An Aftermarket Hu?
How can I keep the trip computer working with an aftermarket HU?
1 Australidis 545 22nd December 2013 - 07:15 AM
Last post by: chain rattle
No New Posts How To Replace 2003, 2004, 2005 & 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander Automatic Transmission Fluid
1 danvo 491 20th August 2013 - 04:59 PM
Last post by: f31roger
No New Posts Outie Sound System
Sound cuts out
3 windssurfer 554 20th April 2013 - 11:34 AM
Last post by: windssurfer
No New Posts Outlander Turbo Hood Scoop
Where to get?
6 brunoboy650 716 12th April 2013 - 04:22 PM
Last post by: hellstream

Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 06:10 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement