Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Eclipse Forum > 3G (2000-2005) Eclipse
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Timing Belt Auto Tentioner Problems
79colt
post Sep 24 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,784
Drives: 2000 eclipse

Hello All,

am helping the wife of a friend that deployed to Iraq. My friend replace the timing belt before he left 4 months ago and about a week ago his wife call me telling me the car wont start. TheCEL was on so I read the code and got crank positioning circuit malfuntioning, so I remove the belt cover to check it out and the belt was loose. After removing all the covers I noticed the auto tentioner plunger was all the way in, so I replaced the tentioner with an OEM from the dealer, installed and everything was good, the car ran good for about 4 days and then she call me again, the car wont start, check the belt and once again the belt was loose!
Has anyone had this problem before? any idea to why the tentioner is loosing pressure, there's no oil or any sign of the tentioner leaking, notice that the belt is getting loose when the car is parked after been sitting overnight, not while is running.
any help that will help me get a soldiers wife only way of transportation fix will be apreciate, I puzzled with this one.
Thanks.

2000Eclipse GT 3.0/24 valve/auto
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
carley1199
post Sep 25 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 46,921
Drives: 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Check the pulleys there might be wobble on them and make sure to check on proper tension on the belts also. And try to buy OEM parts don't buy aftermarket or you will regret it.

QuoteReply
Gvieweclipse
post Sep 25 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 62,936
Drives: 2000 Eclipse GT 5 spd.

QUOTE(carley1199 @ Sep 25 2008, 09:39 AM)
Check the pulleys there might be wobble on them and make sure to check on proper tension on the belts also. And try to buy OEM parts don't buy aftermarket or you will regret it.
[right][snapback]208322[/snapback][/right]

I don't believe there is a problem with aftermarket parts? Not going to start an argument but a lot of times aftermarket is better then OE since they find the reason OE fails and redesign it. Anyways, make sure your belt routing is correct and the belt doesn't have too many teeth.

Here is the procedure.

Removal (Eclipse & Galant)

1. Disconnect negative battery cable. (Have radio anti-theft code) Raise and support vehicle. Remove engine splash shield from right wheelwell.
2. Remove generator and A/C compressor drive belt. Remove dipstick tube from front of engine. Remove generator with wires attached, and secure out of way. Remove power steering pump drive belt.
3. Lower vehicle. Support weight of engine with jack. Remove engine mount from timing belt end of engine. Using Tensioner Wrench (MB990767) and Crankshaft Pulley Holder Pin (MD998715), hold crankshaft pulley stationary and remove crankshaft pulley bolt. Remove crankshaft pulley.
4. Remove power steering pump belt tensioner. See Fig. 1 . Remove upper and lower timing belt covers. Remove engine support bracket from front of engine.

CAUTION:
Always turn crankshaft in clockwise direction (as viewed from front of engine).
5. If timing belt is to be reused, place arrow on belt to indicate direction of belt rotation. Turn crankshaft clockwise to align camshaft and crankshaft timing marks. See Fig. 2 . Loosen center bolt of timing belt tensioner pulley, and remove timing belt. Remove timing belt auto-tensioner from engine block.

Install:

Installation (Eclipse & Galant)

1. Place auto-tensioner in soft-jawed vise to SLOWLY compress the push rod. If there is a plug at the base of the auto-tensioner body, place flat washer around plug so it will not contact vise jaw.

CAUTION:
Never compress the auto-tensioner too fast, or the push rod will be damaged.
2. Slowly compress auto-tensioner push rod until holes in push rod and auto-tensioner housing are aligned. Insert a locking pin into the alignment holes. Install auto-tensioner on engine.

WARNING:
Right bank camshaft can turn easily due to applied spring force, so keep fingers out of the way.
3. Ensure all timing marks are still aligned. See Fig. 2 . Install timing belt on crankshaft sprocket, idler pulley, left bank camshaft sprocket, water pump pulley, right bank camshaft sprocket, and tensioner pulley. Take all slack out of timing belt.
4. Loosen the tensioner pulley center bolt. Using Tensioner Pulley Socket Wrench (MD998767), rotate tensioner pulley against timing belt. Temporarily tighten tensioner pulley center bolt. Using Crankshaft Pulley Spacer (MD998769), turn crankshaft 1/4 turn counterclockwise. Turn crankshaft 1/4 turn clockwise. Ensure all timing belt marks are still aligned.
5. For 1999-00 models, loosen tensioner pulley center bolt. Position tensioner pin holes at BOTTOM of tensioner. Install Tensioner Pulley Socket Wrench (MD998767) on tensioner pulley. See Fig. 6 . Use a torque wrench to apply 39 INCH lbs. (4.4 N.m) of torque (counterclockwise direction) to tensioner pulley. Tighten tensioner center bolt to specification while holding tensioner stationary. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
6. For 2001 and later models, loosen tensioner pulley center bolt. Position tensioner pin holes at TOP of tensioner. Install Tensioner Pulley Socket Wrench (MD998767) on tensioner pulley. See Fig. 7 . Use a torque wrench to apply 39 INCH lbs. (4.4 N.m) of torque (clockwise direction) to tensioner pulley. Tighten tensioner center bolt to specification while holding tensioner stationary. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
7. On all models, remove locking pin from auto-tensioner. Turn crankshaft 2 revolutions clockwise and align all timing marks. DO NOT rotate counterclockwise.
8. Wait for at least 5 minutes, then check auto-tensioner push rod protrusion. To check push rod protrusion, measure clearance between body of auto-tensioner and bottom of tensioner pulley bracket arm. Clearance should be 0.15-0.20" (3.8-5.0 mm). If protrusion is not correct, repeat timing belt tensioning procedure.
9. Install engine support bracket on engine block. Tighten top bolt first, then working in a counterclockwise direction, tighten the remaining bolts. See Fig. 8 . Install timing belt covers. Install crankshaft pulley. Apply engine oil to crankshaft pulley bolt, then tighten bolt to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS .
10. To install remaining components, reverse removal procedure. Adjust drive belts to proper tension.

TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS (ECLIPSE & GALANT)

Application
Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
Auto-Tensioner-To-Engine Block Bolt
18 (24)
Camshaft Sprocket Bolt
65 (88)
Crankshaft Pulley Bolt
(1) 131-137 (177-186)
Dipstick Tube Bolt
10 (14)
Engine Mount

To-Body Through-Bolt
(2) 61 (83)
To-Engine Support Bracket Nut/Bolt
63 (86)
Engine Support Bracket-To-Engine Bolt
33 (44)
Generator Pivot Bolt
33 (44)
Generator Top Bolt
15 (21)
Power Steering Pump Belt Tensioner Bolt
33 (44)
Timing Belt Tensioner Center Bolt
35 (48)
Timing Belt Tensioner Arm Pivot Bolt
33 (44)
Water Pump Bolt

M8 Bolt
17 (23)
M10 Bolt
30 (41)
INCH Lbs. (N.m)

Timing Belt Cover Bolt
106 (12)

(1)
Apply engine oil to bolt threads before installation.
(2)
Final tighten bolt with full weight of engine on mount.

Hope that helps get your finished with no comebacks.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  timing_1.gif ( 122.5K ) Number of downloads: 44
Attached File  timing_2.gif ( 151.51K ) Number of downloads: 54
Attached File  timing_adj..gif ( 53.11K ) Number of downloads: 38
Attached File  torque_seq..gif ( 45.6K ) Number of downloads: 33

QuoteReply
carley1199
post Sep 25 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 46,921
Drives: 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Im not talking in general aftermarket parts here I was only talking about the auto tensioner I've replace mine 3 times already with after markets and decided to get OEM and since then I have no problem. This is base on my experience and observation here, I read a lot of complains about aftermarket auto tensioner and they have same result.

QuoteReply
Gvieweclipse
post Sep 25 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #5

Senior

Member No.: 62,936
Drives: 2000 Eclipse GT 5 spd.

I understand, my mistake. Heh, I had the Dorman rep comeout to my shop to show his new line of products. They just happen to have a timing belt tensioner. Heh I ordered it and installed it on my car. If/when that baby goes I'll be a very happy person. New motor here I come. Of'course I asked him if they covered damages by defective products. heh.

Heh.

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Pinned: Autoguide Drives The 2014 Mirage
0 autoguide.com 479 1st October 2013 - 11:58 AM
Last post by: autoguide.com
No New Posts Auto Trans Removal
Anyone done it?
3 brunoboy650 530 28th April 2013 - 05:13 AM
Last post by: billynoband
No New Posts Automotive Paint & Coatings At Carid!
0 CarID 224 8th March 2013 - 10:12 AM
Last post by: CarID
No New Posts Timing Belt Install
3 kevyrev 3,113 9th January 2013 - 12:55 PM
Last post by: SRSONE
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsAutomatic Climate Controls Not Working
5 Figman 406 21st September 2012 - 03:03 PM
Last post by: Figman

Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 07:28 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement