Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Galant Forum > 7G (1994-1998) Galant
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 96 Mitsubishi Galant VRG GDI hesitation at 100Klms, hesitation at 100klms/hr
MainFrame
post Aug 27 2004, 02:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Drives: 1996 Mitsubishi Galant VRG GDI

I have just bought a 96 Mitsubishi Galant VRG GDI.

At 100Klms/Hr and above it hesitates when accelerating. Then will have a rough idle.

The car has 75,000Klms on the clock and apart from this issue, is a sweet car inside and out.

Can anyone shine any light on this please as it spoils the drive.

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
lone_slayer
post Sep 11 2004, 05:04 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,319
Drives: 2004 TL Diamante Wagon ES

Are you using the correct fuel for your car? most of the GDI galants require premium fuel check this site for your car specs and what fuel to run http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/

QuoteReply
lone_slayer
post Sep 11 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #3

It also could be an ecu problem. not to expensive to fix.... but try disconnecting the battery for about 1/2 an hour this give the computer and sensors time to reset itself to factory settings or so ive been told

QuoteReply
MainFrame
post Sep 21 2004, 04:20 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(lone_slayer @ Sep 12 2004, 12:42 PM)
It also could be an ecu problem. not to expensive to fix.... but try disconnecting the battery for about 1/2 an hour this give the computer and sensors time to reset itself to factory settings or so ive been told
[right][snapback]1191[/snapback][/right]

Many Thanks for all your suggestions, but it was the injectors. They where not worth reconditioning. They where all replaced. Apparantly at about 75,000Kms they need replacing in most jap imported cars.

QuoteReply
MainFrame
post Sep 29 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(MainFrame @ Sep 21 2004, 10:20 PM)
Many Thanks for all your suggestions, but it was the injectors. They where not worth reconditioning. They where all replaced. Apparantly at about 75,000Kms they need replacing in most jap imported cars.
[right][snapback]1315[/snapback][/right]

The acceleration was fixed...but the dreaded 80klm/hr hesitancy and erratic idling have returned after three days.

This only occurs when the engine is at correct operating temperature.

From Cold itís a perfect car.

Any more suggestions Please.

QuoteReply
lone_slayer
post Sep 30 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #6

Check your spark plugs.... I had a similar problem in my 88 Galant which occured after I ran out of gas so i thought it was just dirty injectors. Turned out the spark plugs were completly thrashed and should have been replaced a while ago

QuoteReply
Morm
post Oct 12 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,021
Drives: Galant

I have the same problem with my Galant (2.4 GDI). Hesitates badly when engine is warm under load or above 2500rpms.
Fuel pump was running at low pressure and is getting replaced (under warranty thankfully).
Hopefully, this will fix the problem, but I wont know for sure until I get the car back tomorrow.

Mark

QuoteReply
Morm
post Oct 19 2004, 03:03 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,021
Drives: Galant

Update for people with this hesitiation problem:

I got the fuel pump replaced which helped (The engine check light had an error code of "low fuel pressure" ), but the problem is still there.
It now only happens when the car has been running for 30mins+ or hot (in traffic).

I disconnected the battery completely and left it for about 1 hour to reset the ECU. Now, the hesitation is not as bad and I can drive around normally with no problems unless Im going up a steep hill or accelerate hard.

Im replacing the spark plugs and fuel filter tomorrow and see what that does.

On another note, if you have a GDI engine never run it on 91 octane fuel. Run it on 96 minimum (I use 98)

QuoteReply
dyson
post Dec 19 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,592
Drives: 1997 Mitsubishi VR-G Exceed 1830cc

QUOTE(Morm @ Oct 20 2004, 09:03 AM)
Update for people with this hesitiation problem:

Hi. I own a 97 GDI VR-G. 70000kms. Just bought it and love it. It had a bad miss and hesitation at 80-100kms and at idle. Kirk motors diagnosed the problem as either coils, plugs or carbon in the manifold. I have had the manifold reconditioned and the car runs a great deal better now. The slight miss at idle is the nature of the beast I think here in NZ. Will wait and see what happens now.  :huh: 

I got the fuel pump replaced which helped (The engine check light had an error code of "low fuel pressure" ), but the problem is still there.
It now only happens when the car has been running for 30mins+ or hot (in traffic).

I disconnected the battery completely and left it for about 1 hour to reset the ECU. Now, the hesitation is not as bad and I can drive around normally with no problems unless Im going up a steep hill or accelerate hard.

Im replacing the spark plugs and fuel filter tomorrow and see what that does.
On another note, if you have a GDI engine never run it on 91 octane fuel. Run it on 96 minimum (I use 98)
[right][snapback]1787[/snapback][/right]

QuoteReply
Hesayan
post Feb 27 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 35,554
Drives: mitsubishi Glant GDI VRG

I have the same car with the same problem. I have taken it to mitsubishi and the problem is the high presure fuel pump and the fuel injectors.
To get it fixed you need the manifold acid cleaned and the injectors replaced as well as the high presure pump. NOT CHEAP !
All up in NZ dollars $4685.00.
The pump itself is $2600
The carMUST MUST run on high octane fuel 96 or above
I was told to run it on 96 and put high octane additave in with every 2nd full up of gas.
Car runs like a dream now as you would expect with all the parts and money spent.

QuoteReply
MY_RAGE
post Apr 26 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 39,735
Drives: 1996 GALANT VR V6 2.0

If you still the the problems guys with the hesitation..........after replacing plugs and checking fuel and what's not.

Try getting the fuel system cleaned (injectors fuel rail etc) or add a fuel injector cleaner to a tank of good gas.

Last resort you can check the TPS so see if its on the way out.

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsGalant 2003 Won't Start
16 zoso0 409 Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Last post by: zoso0
No New Posts 96 Eclipse Gst Spyder Im New
1 96GSTMARCO 68 16th October 2014 - 04:20 PM
Last post by: chain rattle
No New Posts Pinned: Galant (legnum) 6a13 Stumble/acceleration Problem
20 smashingly 365 11th September 2014 - 11:08 PM
Last post by: chain rattle
No New Posts Mitsubishi Concept Xr-phev Evolution Vision Gran Turismo
0 trev0006 102 30th May 2014 - 09:25 AM
Last post by: trev0006
No New Posts Mitsubishi Shogun-pinin
1 Kyna Mavies 212 19th May 2014 - 12:27 PM
Last post by: bumpn

Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 06:07 PM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement