Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Galant Forum > 8G (1999-2003) Galant
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Idles Rough, Pings, Check Engine Light On
dblnomad
post Jul 23 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 75,319
Drives: 2002 Galant

Hi to all, first post, I have a problem I hope someone can help with. My daughter has a 2002 Galant 2.4L 4 cyl auto. 111,000 miles. all of the sudden the other day, while at a traffic light, it started running rough, the check engine light came on and it started pinging (detonation)very badly on acceleration to the point where it is barely driveable. We have it down to the local mechanic and he is telling us the motor is junk. says cyl1 and 2 have 170lbs of compressiion and 3 and 4 have only 80 and this is the problem. suggests new motor for $2500. The motor idles ok , doesnot skip, doesnot smoke, tailpipe is clean,the pinging under load gets worse as the motor heats up and has been trouble free until now. It acts just like the timing is advanced all the way. I feel it is in the ignition somewhere. any advice or suggestions are welcome
thanks
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
KiT TeUnG 2549
post Jul 23 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #2

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 58,134
Drives: 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-S SUPER INVECS II , 1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 MR, 2006 Mitsubishi Triton PLUS 3.5 DOCH , 2001 Mitsubishi Galant GSR

Well i dun kno if id buy the compression theory that yur mechanic is saying. One if the timing has jumped , slightly , as in an old timing belt , faulty hydraulic tensioner, this can cause low compression to a cylinder or 2 and accurate compression on the others. The engine would generally idle fine but on load/ acceleration the off timing would cause timing retard or advance out of specs causing the ignition to be firing too advance or retarded and cause pre detenation spark noise/pinging.

Also , a failing camshaft position sensor can also cause detonation pinging, if its referancing the cam too advance or retarded in actual position to the PCM and causing the ignition firing to be uneven.

QuoteReply
mgordic
post Jul 24 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 36,654
Drives: 2003 Galant

I definitely agree with the previous post that it may be broken timing belt. That will almost certainly cause you those problems.

However, try looking at another thing before you blow money away on new engine.... I had a problem with my car at around 100,000 miles. The car started misfiring and running wild, and the CHECK ENGINE light came on. Turns out it was the ignition coil. These will cost you $100 a piece (the engine has 2), and they're real simple to change. Try going to your local Autozone store and have them hook up a computer to your car to tell you the problem with your vehicle. This service is free, and if it's the ignition coil, it will save you $2300.

Hope this helps.

QuoteReply
SRSONE
post Jul 24 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #4

Veteran

Member No.: 59,794
Drives: 2007 OUTLANDER ES with the v6 and the 6 speed(no flappy paddles),2001 kia rio,1979 chevy k20 stepside

auto repair is kinda the same like a doctor....

get a second opinion...

also ... did they say what codes it had?

did they do compression test and a leakdown test?
there is also a chemical test too tell if exhaust is getting into the coolant that can also help

altho the timing belt probably didnt break a few of the teeth may have come off
if it is the original belt it does need to be checked...

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine Burning Oil?
22 zoso0 658 20th November 2014 - 12:02 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts Light Problem On Mitsubish Sigm 3,0 V6
The main ligths just disappear and comes back unexpected
1 pvdanoscar 123 17th November 2014 - 05:39 AM
Last post by: chain rattle
No New Posts Check Engine Light On!
OBD2 scan tool
2 Tony Back 239 14th November 2014 - 01:54 AM
Last post by: Tony Back
No New Posts Engine Code P2138 - Bad Acc Pedal Position Sensor
10 khughes222 423 27th September 2014 - 06:09 AM
Last post by: chain rattle
No New Posts Engine Turns Over Wont Start, No Spark
9 Saunders6 570 9th May 2014 - 05:44 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549

Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 01:19 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement