Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Carisma Forum
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1.8 Gdi Engine Problems, It started with erratic idle but now there is more
JVG
post Feb 4 2010, 02:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 84,424
Drives: 2000 Carisma 1.8 GDI

Hi all!

I own a Carisma 1.8 GDI since 18 months ago. We (my wife and I) have done about 30.000km to it, mixed road and city, getting 7.3 l/100km average over this period. It has been a nice to drive car and we are glad with it. Car now has 130.000km on it. Service has been done at recommended intervals and always at the Mitsubishi agent.

But, since day one, it has had some trouble with idle, as is usual with GDIs. Even, sometimes, engine stopped when arriving, for example, to an STOP. At the beginning it was just from time to time and we didn't find it a big problem. But lately it was getting worse so my wife, who drives the car daily, told me to take it to the garage. Tinkerer as I am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grin.gif) , I looked for information, found the nice YouTube videos on the throttle valve repair and lots of info, like the one in this Forum, so I proceeded to inspect the throttle body. It was far from being too bad; just some carbon deposits on the inside part, some of them slightly blocking the tiny space between the valve and the metal enclosure, when it is fully closed. So I carefully cleaned it, checking that the valve had enough spring action and that it was smooth. Once I did it, idle was perfect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gitara.gif) . So I was very glad about the repair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

Things were fine for exactly a week and about 200km. Then my wife called me telling the engine error light had lighted and car had lost all power and so on . I was wondering how it had worked so nicely for a week and then it got that fault. But of course, I suspected of my work on the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Well, I checked again all what I had done and everything was fine. Just in case, I did an even more extensive cleaning on the throttle valve and tried the car again. It worked for a couple days and then, after 80km, I got again the dreaded light. I felt an small loss of power just before the light was on.

I have also tried to do an ECU re-learn, disconnecting the battery for some minutes, reconnecting it, running at idle for 20 minutes, adding all electrical load I could and then stopping the engine. But, after than, I got again the failure at about 6km from home. This was done yesterday. Today, I have come to work with the Carisma and has worked almost fine. I say almost because it seems to me that engine is not as smooth as it was.

BTW, every failure has been at light engine load. I mean, while I am doing about 80-100km/h, on an straight, with the accelerator very lightly pressed. I guess this could be a clue.

One thing I am wondering is that there could be a hidden relation I am missing... let's imagine lambda sensor was about to fail. It could increase the number of stalls if it was working on its limits... so I clean the throttle valve and, yes, this helps about idle. But them lambda sensor fails and I get the other problem.

Another thing that I am suspecting is that, when doing yesterday the ECU re-learn, at idle, I was out of the car in a very quiet area... and then I listened some hissing noise coming from the bottom of the car, more or less on the middle. Could this be an air leak on the exhaust?. If so, it could foul the lambda sensor, I guess...

I have looked for a reliable OBD-II reader, suitable for this car but it seems that nobody has yet found it, right?

Well, as you can see, I have some clues and lots of questions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) . I would appreciate any comments about what can I do now.

Thanks and best regards,

JOSE
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Starsky
post Feb 6 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 74,393
Drives: Mitsubishi Carisma Sport 1.8 GDI -00

QUOTE (JVG @ Feb 4 2010, 03:56 AM) *
Hi all!

I own a Carisma 1.8 GDI since 18 months ago. We (my wife and I) have done about 30.000km to it, mixed road and city, getting 7.3 l/100km average over this period. It has been a nice to drive car and we are glad with it. Car now has 130.000km on it. Service has been done at recommended intervals and always at the Mitsubishi agent.

But, since day one, it has had some trouble with idle, as is usual with GDIs. Even, sometimes, engine stopped when arriving, for example, to an STOP. At the beginning it was just from time to time and we didn't find it a big problem. But lately it was getting worse so my wife, who drives the car daily, told me to take it to the garage. Tinkerer as I am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grin.gif) , I looked for information, found the nice YouTube videos on the throttle valve repair and lots of info, like the one in this Forum, so I proceeded to inspect the throttle body. It was far from being too bad; just some carbon deposits on the inside part, some of them slightly blocking the tiny space between the valve and the metal enclosure, when it is fully closed. So I carefully cleaned it, checking that the valve had enough spring action and that it was smooth. Once I did it, idle was perfect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gitara.gif) . So I was very glad about the repair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

Things were fine for exactly a week and about 200km. Then my wife called me telling the engine error light had lighted and car had lost all power and so on . I was wondering how it had worked so nicely for a week and then it got that fault. But of course, I suspected of my work on the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Well, I checked again all what I had done and everything was fine. Just in case, I did an even more extensive cleaning on the throttle valve and tried the car again. It worked for a couple days and then, after 80km, I got again the dreaded light. I felt an small loss of power just before the light was on.

I have also tried to do an ECU re-learn, disconnecting the battery for some minutes, reconnecting it, running at idle for 20 minutes, adding all electrical load I could and then stopping the engine. But, after than, I got again the failure at about 6km from home. This was done yesterday. Today, I have come to work with the Carisma and has worked almost fine. I say almost because it seems to me that engine is not as smooth as it was.

BTW, every failure has been at light engine load. I mean, while I am doing about 80-100km/h, on an straight, with the accelerator very lightly pressed. I guess this could be a clue.

One thing I am wondering is that there could be a hidden relation I am missing... let's imagine lambda sensor was about to fail. It could increase the number of stalls if it was working on its limits... so I clean the throttle valve and, yes, this helps about idle. But them lambda sensor fails and I get the other problem.

Another thing that I am suspecting is that, when doing yesterday the ECU re-learn, at idle, I was out of the car in a very quiet area... and then I listened some hissing noise coming from the bottom of the car, more or less on the middle. Could this be an air leak on the exhaust?. If so, it could foul the lambda sensor, I guess...

I have looked for a reliable OBD-II reader, suitable for this car but it seems that nobody has yet found it, right?

Well, as you can see, I have some clues and lots of questions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) . I would appreciate any comments about what can I do now.

Thanks and best regards,

JOSE

It was quite a good story to read, it got me to smile. Compliments for the perfect writing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Unfortunately it sounds like you car is experiencing some weird problems..

Anyway itīs a common problem that the lamba sensor f***s up, so it is a good hypotesis; regarding the OBD-2 reader i really dont know.
I bought one crappy chinese OBD-2 usb reader but it didnīt work, so dont buy it! (check image)
(IMG:http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/123/888/333/7m7KmaK2ZfWk849.jpg)

If you have around 100pounds to spend for a obd-2 reader i would suggest you to by some stuff of "Autel".
They have an apposite reader for japanese cars, i think it should work! : http://www.auteltech.com/jp701.htm

But i have no experience with standalone-obd2-readers so i really dont know which ones could work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
(Please let us know if you get some obd2-reader to work with the car!)

QuoteReply
JVG
post Feb 8 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 84,424
Drives: 2000 Carisma 1.8 GDI

Hello Starsky,

QUOTE (Starsky @ Feb 6 2010, 10:18 PM) *
It was quite a good story to read, it got me to smile. Compliments for the perfect writing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Unfortunately it sounds like you car is experiencing some weird problems..

Anyway itīs a common problem that the lamba sensor f***s up, so it is a good hypotesis; regarding the OBD-2 reader i really dont know.
I bought one crappy chinese OBD-2 usb reader but it didnīt work, so dont buy it! (check image)
(IMG:http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/123/888/333/7m7KmaK2ZfWk849.jpg)

If you have around 100pounds to spend for a obd-2 reader i would suggest you to by some stuff of "Autel".
They have an apposite reader for japanese cars, i think it should work! : http://www.auteltech.com/jp701.htm

But i have no experience with standalone-obd2-readers so i really dont know which ones could work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
(Please let us know if you get some obd2-reader to work with the car!)

OK, thanks for the hints. I think I will get a JP701... let's hope it works!!!

Regards,

JOSE

QuoteReply
aqeel
post Mar 13 2014, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 46,542
Drives: 1.8 gdi carisma

I had same idle problem with my 1.8 GDI, in most of the cases it is throttle body step motor magnet come off from its glue I fix it with the help of youtube . http://youtu.be/6EK1vtuNluA

QuoteReply
bumpn
post Mar 13 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #5

Expert
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 77,271
Drives: 1991 mitsubishi 3000 gt vr4 twin turbo awd

QUOTE (aqeel @ Mar 13 2014, 05:08 PM) *
I had same idle problem with my 1.8 GDI, in most of the cases it is throttle body step motor magnet come off from its glue I fix it with the help of youtube . http://youtu.be/6EK1vtuNluA

very rare for that to happen but i guess anythings possable

QuoteReply
KiT TeUnG 2549
post Mar 13 2014, 09:21 PM
Post #6

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 58,134
Drives: 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-S SUPER INVECS II , 1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 MR, 2006 Mitsubishi Triton PLUS 3.5 DOCH , 2001 Mitsubishi Galant GSR

Very rare indeed, usually although its the Idle position switch in most cases i have worked on.

QuoteReply
aqeel
post Mar 14 2014, 05:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 46,542
Drives: 1.8 gdi carisma

Have look on youtube ,I think it was couple of thousands of faulty Bach of throttle body step motors install on carisma 1.8 gdi and Volvo V40 in between 2000 & 2002 European models .

QuoteReply
KiT TeUnG 2549
post Mar 14 2014, 02:07 PM
Post #8

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 58,134
Drives: 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-S SUPER INVECS II , 1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 MR, 2006 Mitsubishi Triton PLUS 3.5 DOCH , 2001 Mitsubishi Galant GSR

I have not said i disagree with you. I have seen issue with Idle control Actuators also, I've seen it on many Mitsubishi also, I've seen it with what i said also. I don't need Youtube to know how to fix cars. I'm a certified technician that has personally and still work on Mitsubishi. I also am in Mitsubishi Autosprts and Thailand VR4 Offroad Association . Just for reference lol

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Engine Code P2138 - Bad Acc Pedal Position Sensor
10 khughes222 347 27th September 2014 - 06:09 AM
Last post by: chain rattle
No New Posts Engine Burning Oil?
9 zoso0 359 23rd June 2014 - 08:46 AM
Last post by: zoso0
No New Posts Engine Turns Over Wont Start, No Spark
9 Saunders6 535 9th May 2014 - 05:44 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine Vibration
17 mickleach 808 31st March 2014 - 05:18 PM
Last post by: LCM
No New Posts Engine Light On, Computer Stopped Working, Hard To Start......
8 scottclutton 828 13th March 2014 - 10:48 AM
Last post by: bumpn

Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 10:22 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement