Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Diamante, Magna, Sigma & Verada Forum
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Smoke Out Of The Tailpipe
alpha_ai
post Feb 11 2010, 02:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 77,582
Drives: 98 Magna TF 3.0 V6

Hello there,

There is smoke coming out of my tailpipe.
It looks black and i think i saw some blue.

I took it into one mechanic today and he said that its most likely the
engine is on its way out. he said around $4500 for overhaul.

Ive checked up on other sites and they say that the
oil could be getting past the piston rings due to piston rings have become cracked or broken or loose or whatever
and this same guy said that the mechanic will generally replace piston rings on an engine tune up.
Is this right?

Checked the oil and it was low, and i know this because there is an oil leak under the car somewhere that i need to get fixed.

I have checked the engine tune up in my manual and there is mention of replacing piston rings.
So my questions are:

1. Does the engine have to come out of the car to replace the piston rings or can it be done with the engine in my car.
2. What you recommend I do?

Ben
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
94STAR
post Feb 11 2010, 02:42 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 81,277
Drives: 94 Starwagon Auto and a couple of Mazdas

Ben,

Firstly don't panic, top up your oil level to the Max mark on the dipstick on level ground after the engine has been off for a while to make sure all the oil has run back down to the sump. Take note of your km reading

Check it again in a week and see if it has gone down and how many ks you have done, a 12 yr old car is going to have some wear and will use some oil, as a rule of thumb high to low mark on the dipstick will be about one litre.

Piston rings are only replaceable after a total strip down, so major.

Try and take note of the colour of the smoke, blue is definitely burnt oil meaning either rings or valve guide wear letting oil into combustion chamber, black is more likely poorly burnt fuel, mixture or something amiss in the fuel injection system. I live with blue smoke and I think I would miss it if I did not have it, a good dose of burnt oil in the morning is better than coffee to get you going

QuoteReply
chain rattle
post Feb 11 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #3

Magna Buff
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 19,697
Drives: vt v6 commadore wagon

to slow the process you could add an oil treatment to your engine oil
product like "stop smoke" additive

next option is a second hand motor from a wrecker

QuoteReply
alpha_ai
post Feb 11 2010, 07:19 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (chain rattle @ Feb 11 2010, 06:34 AM) *
to slow the process you could add an oil treatment to your engine oil
product like "stop smoke" additive

next option is a second hand motor from a wrecker

Ok so ive got some "stop smoke" additive.
I also wondered whether I can increase the viscosity of the oil for my car.
Currently ive been using 15W-40 and due to the oil leak, managed to lose a fair bit over time.
I guess the thicker the oil, the less that will come out?

What do you recommend?

ben

QuoteReply
94STAR
post Feb 11 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 81,277
Drives: 94 Starwagon Auto and a couple of Mazdas

Ben,

I guess with an oil leak, measuring consumption is not going to give any indication of how much it is burning.

Check out the Penrite range of oils, perhaps HPR30 or HPR40

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/motor-oil/hpr/hpr_30

Jim

QuoteReply
Curioso
post Feb 11 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 51,095
Drives: 1997 Magna Sedan

Smoke out of the tailpipe? You sure you don't have a "banana in the tailpipe" like Edie Murphy did to the cops in Beverly Hills Cop? Just joking.

The standard answer is valve stem oil seals, those little caps at the base of each valve that stop oil getting through from the top of the cylinder head into the chambers. Apparently that causes blue smoke, but only when the car takes off from a stationary point, as it has then had time for the oil to soak down into the chambers. When driving, less can get in as the oil is moving around all the time.

You can change the valve stem oil seals with an Overhead Spring Compressor tool but get one that costs over $50 from eBay. There's some cheaper ones that don't work well if at all. With it, you need a spark plug attachment to plug an air compressor hose into each cylinder as you do it. With air pressure on each chamber, the valve won't be able to slip down into the head itself. If that happens, you will definitely have to remove the entire cylinder head to retrieve and refit the valve (remember that the springs of each valve have to come off to change the oil seals on them, so nothing is holding that valve in place except the compressed air you pump into its chamber). With this method, you don't need to remove the cylinder head at all to change the oil seals on it.

Curioso

QuoteReply
alpha_ai
post Feb 12 2010, 02:45 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Curioso @ Feb 11 2010, 06:33 PM) *
Smoke out of the tailpipe? You sure you don't have a "banana in the tailpipe" like Edie Murphy did to the cops in Beverly Hills Cop? Just joking.

The standard answer is valve stem oil seals, those little caps at the base of each valve that stop oil getting through from the top of the cylinder head into the chambers. Apparently that causes blue smoke, but only when the car takes off from a stationary point, as it has then had time for the oil to soak down into the chambers. When driving, less can get in as the oil is moving around all the time.

You can change the valve stem oil seals with an Overhead Spring Compressor tool but get one that costs over $50 from eBay. There's some cheaper ones that don't work well if at all. With it, you need a spark plug attachment to plug an air compressor hose into each cylinder as you do it. With air pressure on each chamber, the valve won't be able to slip down into the head itself. If that happens, you will definitely have to remove the entire cylinder head to retrieve and refit the valve (remember that the springs of each valve have to come off to change the oil seals on them, so nothing is holding that valve in place except the compressed air you pump into its chamber). With this method, you don't need to remove the cylinder head at all to change the oil seals on it.

Curioso

Hello,

So what has caused the Piston Rings and Valve Stem Oil Seals to deteriorate?
Is it just Engine Life now too short, is it wrong type of oil, wrong type of fuel?

Ive been using E10 as my fuel and once have alternated between that
and Premium.
Ive also been use 15W-40 as my oil.

If I can find out what has caused this to deteriorate then i know how to prevent this from reoccuring in the future.

Ben

QuoteReply
Curioso
post Feb 12 2010, 03:32 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 51,095
Drives: 1997 Magna Sedan

Valve stem oil seals only last about 50,000km before they start to wear. Possibly a bit less if you have a hotter than normal running engine.

Your oil type is normal. I've used that type as well as 20W/40 and if I use Magnatec its 10W/40. Little difference either way.

I guess if someone rebuilt the engine and didn't fit the valve stem oil seals to specification (they have an exact height they have to be installed to) or messed up the piston rings somehow, you would get earlier than usual problems. That's if the engine isn't old enough to have these issues at this time.

I've never changed the piston rings on my car and it's 20 years old and doesn't use much oil at all. But the car has never been run very hard.

Premium burns much hotter than normal fuel. Try a 50/50 mix with normal Unleaded once every four times. You might be overheating the engine or head.

Curioso

QuoteReply
mjt
post Feb 15 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 70,707
Drives: 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante

I would not recommend the thicker oil to deal with your leak. Fix the leak. Thick oil can gum up the motor. 20W-50 is usually recommended for warmer climates. Black smoke can be from excessive carbon build up or a bad injector. Bad injectors can dump excessive fuel into the cylinder and cause blue smoke.

When you see the blue smoke is it while accelerating or decelerating down a hill. Valve seals tend to leak on high vacuum conditions i.e. throttle closed. Try holding the throttle at about 2000rpm for a minute then let off gas and see if you get smoke or while going down a hill with your foot off the gas. If you get blue smoke while accelerating it is likely piston rings. Best way to know is do a compression check.

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Outlander 4n14 Engine Oil Rising
4 Italianstallion 87 22nd July 2014 - 03:27 PM
Last post by: Italianstallion
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsThe Reply For Converting Drums To Brakes
22 Mranderson 438 31st May 2014 - 03:19 AM
Last post by: TW2005
No New Posts The Use Of Universal Rolling Imported Bearing Performance
The use of universal rolling imported bearing performance
0 uiyyret 65 27th May 2014 - 09:19 PM
Last post by: uiyyret
No New Posts Off To The Junk Yard
..Chuzz. includes an amazing window winder fix
8 chuzz 152 3rd May 2014 - 03:06 PM
Last post by: chuzz
No New Posts The Art Of Auto Detailing (part 2)
0 CarID 375 23rd August 2013 - 09:57 AM
Last post by: CarID

Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 07:59 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement