Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Lancer Forum > 2008+ Lancer > Car Audio, Video & Electronics
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Oem Navi/rockford Fosgate Help!
garfieldnguyen
post Jul 16 2010, 01:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,885
Drives: 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Hi, I am a proud new owner of a new 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer with S/S and I was wondering if any of you would recommend the OEM Navigation Unit?
I didn't choose the navi option when I bought the car, but I would like to have one installed in the very near future. The only problem I have is that its quite expensive, over 2grand.
Do any of you recommend it? Or would I be better off buying an aftermarket one? I saw a few aftermarket units that I liked for around half the price of the OEM.
What are the pros and cons of the OEM Navigation unit compared to an aftermarket one?
Another concern of mine is that if I install an aftermarket, would I still be able to use the audio control and bluetooth on my steering wheel?
ANDDDDDDDDD Would installing an aftermarket navi unit mess up the Rockford Fosgate sound system?
Please Help!

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
SRSONE
post Jul 16 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 59,794
Drives: 2007 OUTLANDER ES with the v6 and the 6 speed(no flappy paddles),2001 kia rio,1979 chevy k20 stepside

me personally i would get a garmin for 2-300 with lifetime updates....a little velcro and u can put it any where and take it out and with u..

mitsu charges for their updates...and they dont come out very often....the last one that i know about was 2 years ago

QuoteReply
rox
post Jul 16 2010, 08:48 AM
Post #3

<-~._-=*"!!"*=-_.~->

Member No.: 45,225
Drives: 2009 Lancer GTS 2.4L (5speed m/t)

As far as I researched this:

If you're going to do this, go with aftermarket. The OEM is not worth getting unless you get it in a package with the car, I was even told that by my sales guy at Northside Mitsubishi. Just like you said, the aftermarket is about half the price and often better than the OEM.

When it comes to the steering wheel controls. I'm not 100% sure what would work and what wouldn't.
I'm pretty sure the volume control would work, but I think that may be about it. So for example the "Mode" button (which I personally never use) probably wouldn't work, same with the "Next/Previous" buttons... but don't quote me on that stuff cause I don't know for sure.

Your Hands-Free BlueTooth should still work I believe. It's a separate unit so it should be ok, but it would probably have to be wired in a certain way so that it interrupts any other audio signal that's going into the speakers. I'm not sure how that stuff is wired (if it's wired through the OEM stereo or somewhere else).

Chances are that if you get an aftermarket combo unit it will have bluetooth built in anyways, so you could probably use that instead the OEM bluetooth on the steering wheel - except you will end up losing the controls, probably.

Or of course you can go the route that SRSONE explained, and just get a navi unit that you can put anywhere.
If you're anything like me though (be aware that I actually don't have this done yet because of lack of funds), and want to have "everything" in one place (navi, cd, dvd, mp3, iPod, satellite radio etc) then you're probably better off going aftermarket. The best thing would be to find a shop that does installations for this stuff that has experience with the 9th gen Lancers and ask them all these questions (have them write it down and sign it if they claim something will work or not). Or if you have a good dealership in your area that does installations (not sure what City/Province you're from) they should be able to tell you what will work and what won't.

Good luck.

QuoteReply
rox
post Jul 16 2010, 08:48 AM
Post #4

<-~._-=*"!!"*=-_.~->

Member No.: 45,225
Drives: 2009 Lancer GTS 2.4L (5speed m/t)

Oh yah, it shouldn't mess up the RF system.

QuoteReply
DuffmasterFresh
post Jul 16 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #5

Senior

Member No.: 73,990
Drives: 2009 Lancer GTS (RotoGlow)

Aftermarket definitely!!! Our stock Nav unit lacks a TON of features and costs way too much. Updates are rare, it has little customization. Overall its junk compared to even lower end nav systems. The only thing I give our nav unit credit for is the built in 30GB hard drive and how stable its been (for me at least)

Now, for a little over $1000 USD you can get a navigation unit thats literally 1000 times better. For example, the Pioneer AVIC Z120BT comes with complete customization of your units icons, conversational voice command (control everything with voice), iPod and iPhone functionality, bluetooth, add on units for sirius or XM, HD Radio and backup cameras. Its sound quality will be VASTLY superior to our stock Nav units in EVERY way. You can customize the units colors...it has like 30,000 selectable colors. Oh and it has USB and SD card support. Oh and the screen quality is twice as good. It comes with some kind of ECO graph that tells you if ur polluting the earth with your horrible driving habits or not. Now this is of course a flagship model, you can get Nav units for 600-900 with similar features that still blow our stock out of the water. If this hasent convinced you then your a lost cause.

When installing an aftermarket radio there are special wiring harnesses that will allow you to keep your steering wheel controls and program them so all the buttons will work. I am unsure about the bluetooth though...I think that can be kept cause it is separate. Even your RF amplifier can be retained.

QuoteReply
youngmasterzack
post Jul 22 2010, 01:52 AM
Post #6

Senior

Member No.: 77,543
Drives: 2009 Lancer GTS

i got the JVC nx-7000bt and my RF didnt work.. i need to buy the MITO-01 harness.. and i sacrificed my steering wheel control.. but overall i love it!

QuoteReply
96Eclipsed
post Aug 7 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 49,063
Drives: 1996 Eclipse RS, 2007 Outlander XLS 2WD, 2009 Lancer GTS

I got a free TomTom EASE with a set of tires...and I gave it to my mom, but I wish I could have kept it. When I was lookign for my girl's Outlander and then later my GTS, several dealers told me to not gethte DVD navi and to go aftermarket. If I wasn't such a sucker for OEM/clean looks...I probably would have.

QuoteReply
Lancer2.4GTS
post Aug 9 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 75,591
Drives: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I have the OEM navigation/Fosgate system and I love it. It is better than the navigation in my Wifey's Lexus IS250. I would recommend it in a heartbeat and I would also talk them down on price. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QuoteReply
lancer2.0GTS
post Sep 21 2010, 11:57 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 94,715
Drives: Lancer 2008 GTS

If you buy the RF Navi System by the mitsubishi dealer the unit itself is about $4000 so I would recommend aftermarket deck.
You can find alot of good double din or in-dash video din with navigation for pretty good price. I personally recommend pioneer or JVC however I would never get Alpine or Clarion because their reviews on navigation is just not worth it to pay. I just got my pioneer AVIC-F700BT and i love it! Now i just need to install it. If you decide to get the aftermaket deck, make sure you get the right harness for Rockford Fosgate. Just the normal harness won't work with 9 speaker system becaue of the RF amp. You need to get harness called "MITO-01" or "MITO-02"

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Oem Wheels
9 ChucksTSI 477 3rd February 2011 - 01:57 PM
Last post by: 4G63Attack
No New Posts Oem Gts Wheels
4 jgj0ker 631 1st February 2011 - 12:54 PM
Last post by: MIT-subi
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsOem Radio + Direct Ipod?
Possible?
3 flipstah 346 8th January 2011 - 02:55 AM
Last post by: lando
No New Posts Oem Hid Kit
19 Sogamed 483 31st December 2010 - 11:11 AM
Last post by: russ6047708gts
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsOem Fogs
1st gen OEM foglights
6 Izerous 347 11th December 2010 - 10:56 PM
Last post by: gotcookyz

Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 01:14 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement