Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Diamante, Magna, Sigma & Verada Forum
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> A/c Venting Not Working
slinklater
post Jul 20 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 92,120
Drives: 2001 Mitsubishi Diamante

I have a 2001 Diamante.

I was driving with the A/C on and bumped the button on the A/C panel that shifts the blowing from dash to defrost to floor, etc... and it shifted but made a funny vaccum sound, like when you have a shopvac and it picks up something that blocks the suction.

The a/c continues to blow a little cold air, and the fans are working but there is something blocking the center vents from allowing air flow and the air won't shift from dash to floor to defrost any more (although it sounds like it's trying to)... it's like there is a vacuum flap stuck closed or something blocking it, or the mechanism that shifts the airflow is stuck.

UPDATE: I stuck a hanger down there and can snag the flap and pull it up for a moment which allows airflow, but then it is like its spring loaded and closed when i lose the hold.

Any help on this would be much appreciated, or diagrams of the interior cooling/venting system ...please help, it was 112 today. thanks
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
KiT TeUnG 2549
post Jul 20 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #2

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 58,134
Drives: 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-S SUPER INVECS II , 1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 MR, 2006 Mitsubishi Triton PLUS 3.5 DOCH , 2001 Mitsubishi Galant GSR

I wouldnt have stuck a hanger in there, yu should have visited the "Intake and Induction" section. it has all sorts of breakdowns for that car. It shows the complete heater and evaporator case break down also.

The mode blend door is operated by an electronic actuator. Doing that will break the mode blend door. And yu will have to remove the evaporator case take it apart and replace the mode blend door. These are not vacuum operated. Ive seen this happen when either the actuator itself fails or the Climate Control Unit starts to fail. , That "air" noise or wutever yu heard was likely when the fresh air duct opened when it went to defrost position.

QuoteReply
slinklater
post Jul 20 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #3

The arm still works as there is still tension on the flap when the vent direction changes (defrost, floor, etc...), but it won't force the flap open when the dash setting is pressed. it's like that particular setting is stuck

QuoteReply
KiT TeUnG 2549
post Jul 20 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #4

Veteran
Group Icon

Drives: 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-S SUPER INVECS II , 1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 MR, 2006 Mitsubishi Triton PLUS 3.5 DOCH , 2001 Mitsubishi Galant GSR

Yur kinda confusing meeh, yu saying it blows defrost and floor ( at the same time ?) That is a common function of the defrost , it will blow at the floor and the defrost vent. But if it is changing frum blowing at the floor to juss the defrost , it should also change to the dash vents as they are controlled by the same actuator

QuoteReply
slinklater
post Jul 20 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #5

i realize that the hanger might have been a bad idea, but I didn't rank on it or pull hard, and certainly i didn't pull hard enough to break anything.

When I did snag the flap (with the hanger), it would only let me open the flap when it was set to dash...when i would change it to defrost or floor, the flap will pull out of my grasp and pull shut like it was still attached to something....and then when I'd put the setting back on dash, it would allow me to snag the flap and open it (with the hanger).

QuoteReply
KiT TeUnG 2549
post Jul 20 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #6

Veteran
Group Icon

i never said yu broke anything . i juss said not to YANK on it. I stated my possible issues with it. yu can also visit intake and induction. Yu can check the operation of the Mode Control Outlet actuator , remove the glove box assembly. The actuator is going to be on the main case.

QuoteReply
slinklater
post Jul 20 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #7

I took off the glove box and the arm mechanism is moving when i change the defrost/vent selector and it seems to be changing without problem, but the center vents don't allow airflow as the flap back there is still closed

QuoteReply
KiT TeUnG 2549
post Jul 20 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #8

Veteran
Group Icon

this may be getting no where.

Because yu think its moving doesnt mean either part of the system isnt faulty. It could be any of teh stated above. The Climate Control Unit or the blend mode actuator. There is a chart in the intake and induction, there is also a chart for checking if there are any stored Climate Control codes in the Climate control unit , as in the blend mode actuator etc.

Yu can also make sure there is proper voltage at the connector. That door juss does not "block up" ive never seen that happen.

I have seen the Climate Control Head Unit go bad on a few models that have rendered the system to juss blowing thru the defroster and floor vents a couple of times.

And my apology , the actuator yu need to look for is on the driver side. The one yu are looking at is the air inlet control actuator. The one yu need to check operation is on the driver side of the heater/evaporator case. Look up above the accel pedal , there is a carpeted finish panel on most models yu may need to remove.

QuoteReply
Lucille99Diamant...
post Aug 31 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 90,547
Drives: 1999 Mitsubishi Diamante

Im having this very same problem right now on my 99 Diamante, with everything being electronically controlled I figured it was the HVAC unit in the dash itself. I also had a ticking noise from behind the dashboard for about 60 seconds whenever I started my car that has since stopped. I wonder if I remove battery terminal overnight and clear any codes the car may have stored if that will help...

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Ac Temperature Mismatch
3 ngjbtf 65 19th March 2014 - 06:14 AM
Last post by: chain rattle
No new Ac Problems
36 arkrider410 3,600 4th August 2013 - 09:25 PM
Last post by: DavidE
No New Posts Ac System, Low Pressure Valve?
1 byates2 429 22nd July 2013 - 01:12 PM
Last post by: mirrormirageman
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsAccess Rear Speaker In A 2001 Montero Limited
How do I remove the rear speaker?
7 gregj2001montero 8,005 11th February 2013 - 12:07 PM
Last post by: ceez38
No New Posts Accessory Socket Not Functioning.
1 xtreme571 277 29th July 2012 - 11:55 PM
Last post by: SRSONE

Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 11:59 PM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement