Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Galant Forum > 8G (1999-2003) Galant
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 01 Galant Heater Issue
saints30
post Jan 27 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,061
Drives: 98 galant

I just bought an 01 Galant my first Mitubishi. When the car is stopped the heater blows cold but as soon as you start driving it returns to normal heating, is this a problem or is that a Mitsubishi thing? I test drove another Galant before I bought this one and it did the same thing, I've owned many different models of vehicles and never had any do this.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Palmz
post Jan 27 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 98,582
Drives: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES

i have the same problem if it is a problem like u say

QuoteReply
KiT TeUnG 2549
post Jan 27 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #3

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 58,134
Drives: 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-S SUPER INVECS II , 1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 MR, 2006 Mitsubishi Triton PLUS 3.5 DOCH , 2001 Mitsubishi Galant GSR

nun ive driven do that. Mine doesnt even do that. There is a couple things , if the door for the mode blend is broken internally it can cause it to swing back and forth when stopping and driving. But also if the heater core is failing /clogged internally , when the engine is at a idle state to where the pressure of coolant flow is lower , not much coolant can flow thru the heater core so the heater core cools. When yu start driving and the higher flow returns the heat returns

QuoteReply
Palmz
post Jan 28 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 98,582
Drives: 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES

i was asking my father about this yesterday he sayd i should se if there was enough water on the car.. there wasnt so i added some. about 2 liters or som.. i think my car has a verry small leak (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

QuoteReply
KiT TeUnG 2549
post Jan 29 2011, 01:17 PM
Post #5

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 58,134
Drives: 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-S SUPER INVECS II , 1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 MR, 2006 Mitsubishi Triton PLUS 3.5 DOCH , 2001 Mitsubishi Galant GSR

Could be the radiator , heater core , hose. The main points of leaks for this model , is the heater core , and radiator and maybe lower hose. or bypass hoses. On most these models the radiator seems to leak around the seam of the plastic section at the top where it meets the aluminum core. Or the plastic portion has a hair line crack that causes small amounts of coolant loss over time

QuoteReply
jjrrhh1
post Feb 16 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 100,646
Drives: 2001 mitsubishi galant 2.4l

i had the same problem with my 01 galant, i changed the heater core still didnt fix it ended up tracing it all the way back to the water pump the blades were shot in it. i hope this may help.

QuoteReply
cradon
post May 24 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 100,440
Drives: galant 01

I also went through a similar situation and it was frustrating. But my heat gauge would also show about 3/4 hot after the car warmed up. Usually it would be showing about 1/3 on the gauge. I could drive on the highways and not overheat (well, not red line), and the temp would fluctuate from over half to almost red line. But as soon as I had to slow down etc. It would get uncomfortably close to red line. I also showed a lot of what looked like, rusty mud in my coolant system and settling in my lower radiator hose. Anyhow. After going through and replacing the thermostat and hoses and finding a leak in my radiator, flushing the system several times. Replacing the radiator. I still had the same problem, showing 3/4 hot on the gauge. Then I had the heater core backflushed. AND that was the end of that. FULL overheating .. Redline. no more short trips with the car to see how it would react. It was down to the water pump or the heater core. I decided to start with the water pump because I was also due for a timing belt.
Anyhow again. It was the blades on the water pump, they were gone.
After the new water pump was installed. (plus, the new radiator, hoses, thermostat and fresh coolant. ) It went back to working properly.

QuoteReply
SRSONE
post May 25 2011, 07:44 AM
Post #8

Veteran

Member No.: 59,794
Drives: 2007 OUTLANDER ES with the v6 and the 6 speed(no flappy paddles),2001 kia rio,1979 chevy k20 stepside

usually mitsu water pumps last a loooong time....

the usual way that the pump fins rot away is from people running just straight water or very little coolant mixture in the system...
u still need the 50/50 mix ..its not just antifreeze...its also anti boil and anti corrosion...

and yes even if u live in area that doesnt freeze or get very cold u still need coolant in the car....

coolant should be tested fotr protection levels and acidity..at least twice a year if not more

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsGalant 2003 Won't Start
14 zoso0 313 16th September 2014 - 11:19 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts Pinned: Galant (legnum) 6a13 Stumble/acceleration Problem
20 smashingly 267 11th September 2014 - 11:08 PM
Last post by: chain rattle
No New Posts Pinned: Galant 8gen Information
information
0 chain rattle 449 19th March 2014 - 06:20 AM
Last post by: chain rattle
No New Posts Pinned: Topic has attachmentsGalant 6a12- Camshaft Bearing Cap
1 TW2005 414 10th February 2013 - 08:16 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts 01 Montero Limited
Temp Gauge
14 montero1 12,864 31st December 2012 - 03:40 PM
Last post by: gmurfy

Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 10:44 PM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement