Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mitsubishi-Forums.com > Mitsubishi Models > Airtrek & Outlander Forum > 1G (2003-2006) Airtrek & Outlander
Mitsubishi-Forums.com - The UNOFFICIAL Mitsubishi Community This site is NOT affiliated in any way with Mitsubishi or any of it's subsidiaries. Our goal is to provide Mitsubishi owners an information outlet - a means to communicate with other Mitsubishi owners. It is simply a community where fans and owners can get the right information for tuning, customization and general discussions on anything about Mitsubishi. You'll find the answer to almost any question about your Mitsubishi in this site. If not, simply join and ask! We have many willing expert members just waiting to answer your questions.

Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Do you like Mitsubishi-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Severe Rear Camber Wear! Help
Prad82
post May 13 2011, 08:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88,437
Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS

Does anyone here have problems with some abnormal rear tire wear??? I have a 03 XLS AWD model, since 2 yrs ago I purchased the car I noticed this problem, I replaced with brand new rear camber arms, and a set of brand new tires, but did NOT solve the problem at all!!! The INNER side of rear tires are completely worn out to the steel wire exposure just after approx 25000KMs, but the fronts are still more than 50% new, and visually the rear tires sits abnormally outward than the front tires. The interesting part is I'd talked to 2 other owners who has the same vehicle ranging from 03~06, they all have the same problems, perhaps one worse than the others.

Is there anything we can do about this? Honestly I wasn't expecting the severity of this problem until recently I'd gone on a long trip and afterward I realize I could've almost blown the rear tires on the way since the inner side has worn out so quick yet hard to notice from outside visual inspection.

Cheers,

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
SRSONE
post May 13 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 59,794
Drives: 2007 OUTLANDER ES with the v6 and the 6 speed(no flappy paddles),2001 kia rio,1979 chevy k20 stepside

and how often did u rotate the tires?
was it aligned properly?

iirc the normal alignment spec for the older outy was slightly negative...
which means if u left them on the back for that long yes ..they are going to wear out...

if u search the forum..OUTY has a thread about his rear suspension...he had adjustable camber arms i think...

u could ask him how his does on tires..

QuoteReply
Outy
post May 14 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #3

Expert

Member No.: 2,173
Drives: Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 2004, 1984 Corvette, 2008 G6, 2007 Chevy Cobalt, 2010 Huskvarna YTH22V42LS

There should be barely any inward tilt at the top with no passengers in the car.
But that kind of wear is not caused by camber, rather by excessive toe-out.

Check thread "No Rear Camber Adjustment?, 06 Outlander" post #5.

This is one of the solutions.

QuoteReply
Prad82
post May 26 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #4

Hey guys thanks for the input, I talked to my mechanic about the eccentric bolt solution and apparently it's quiet doable, however I am totally out of luck on looking for these bolts!!!

Anyone here from Canada knew where I can find them? I looked at Cdn tires, parts source and some local tool shop in Toronto area they all don't carry it, some don't even know what I am talking about.......

QuoteReply
SRSONE
post May 26 2011, 06:11 PM
Post #5

Veteran

Member No.: 59,794
Drives: 2007 OUTLANDER ES with the v6 and the 6 speed(no flappy paddles),2001 kia rio,1979 chevy k20 stepside

i dont know who carries them in canada...but ingalls makes cam bolt kits

QuoteReply
Outy
post May 26 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #6

Expert

Drives: Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 2004, 1984 Corvette, 2008 G6, 2007 Chevy Cobalt, 2010 Huskvarna YTH22V42LS

UAP has a kit of 2 eccentrics bolts for arround 20$. Or you can order from OEM Mitsubishi in Texas. #32 and #34 I beleive in drawing. The nut is just an automotive grade.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  eccentric.jpg ( 78.11K ) Number of downloads: 29

QuoteReply
Prad82
post May 26 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Outy @ May 26 2011, 08:02 PM) *
UAP has a kit of 2 eccentrics bolts for arround 20$. Or you can order from OEM Mitsubishi in Texas. #32 and #34 I beleive in drawing. The nut is just an automotive grade.

Thanks OUTY for the quick reply, I am gonna check out my local UAP/NAPA tomorrow for the eccentric bolts, but just a little more question regarding ur posted diagram, I thought the #32 and #34 is what I already have on the car and they're not eccentric though??? so wouldn't they be just the same non-eccentric ones when I order them again from the Texas OEM dealer online???

Just one last question, I thought the eccentric bolts are to replace #37 on ur diagram (which is the trailing arm)??? so it's actually the replacement of #32 instead to correct the camber issue? Pls tell me which exact bolts should I replace with eccentric ones in the rear suspension in order to correct the camber issue?

Thanks

QuoteReply
Outy
post May 27 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #8

Expert

Camber will not produce threadwear like you are writting about, toe-out will.
If you don't have an eccentric bolt on dogbone no wonder you have tire wear. See the disc with markings in second pic that is the eccentric bolt on dogbone.

There is already and eccentric bolt on your rear suspension.(#32,#34) These go through the inner bushing of the dog bone.(#31) and serves to adjust toe-in of rear wheels with mild affect on camber.

For camber adjustment you need to knock out the welded plates on the inner lower control arm (#39) bushing bracket (see picture).
The same eccentric bolt as dogbone can be used.

Trailing arm (#35)or upper control arm (#29)have nothing to do with this adjustment.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  camber.jpg ( 60.7K ) Number of downloads: 30
Attached File  eccentric_disc.JPG ( 358.07K ) Number of downloads: 32

QuoteReply
gotcookyz
post May 28 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 66,444
Drives: 2003 mitsubishi outlander AWD

i had a major problem with inner tire wear in the rear after i installed my 18 in wheels. i did what OUTY did about a year ago. got the parts from my dealer and it was easy to do. works great and with my 18 x 8 in. wheels, i've never had a problem with irregular tire wear in the rear since.

QuoteReply
Prad82
post Jun 2 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Outy @ May 27 2011, 10:50 AM) *
Camber will not produce threadwear like you are writting about, toe-out will.
If you don't have an eccentric bolt on dogbone no wonder you have tire wear. See the disc with markings in second pic that is the eccentric bolt on dogbone.

There is already and eccentric bolt on your rear suspension.(#32,#34) These go through the inner bushing of the dog bone.(#31) and serves to adjust toe-in of rear wheels with mild affect on camber.

For camber adjustment you need to knock out the welded plates on the inner lower control arm (#39) bushing bracket (see picture).
The same eccentric bolt as dogbone can be used.

Trailing arm (#35)or upper control arm (#29)have nothing to do with this adjustment.

Hey OUTY do u think u can help me to find the actual Part# for the dog bone? It's #31 on ur diagram but it was missing the item #31 part#, I think I need to replace both the dog bones as well as the bolts, I did tried to adjust the existing bolts but looks they were seized with the old dog bones.

QuoteReply
Outy
post Jun 2 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #11

Expert

Sorry about that! MN100109. That is why I added grease nipples on both ends.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  31.jpg ( 81.58K ) Number of downloads: 17

QuoteReply
  Advanced Search
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Mitsubishi listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Rear Shock Absorber Removal
rear shocks and interior plastic removal
5 elgato1013 858 6th June 2014 - 10:46 AM
Last post by: OutlanderPgh
No New Posts Rear Lock For The New L200
1 roseng 173 6th February 2014 - 12:29 PM
Last post by: KiT TeUnG 2549
No New Posts Help - Shogun 2007 Asc, Abs, Brake...
Fault
1 BizBo 556 15th October 2013 - 03:46 PM
Last post by: Benckj
No New Posts Help 2005 Montero , Abs,srs, Trac Lights, Starts In 2nd Gear
ABS,SRS, Trac lights
1 shirell 521 26th September 2013 - 03:12 AM
Last post by: navid001
No New Posts Rear Spring Fully Extended
2 mitsubishi_ace 420 16th May 2013 - 08:21 AM
Last post by: mitsubishi_ace

Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 06:49 AM
Mitsubishi-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitsubishi Motors.
Privacy Statement