Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to improve the handling of my Montero Limited, anyone know of any good shock upgrades (2001 Montero)? I can only find KYB, Monroe. Is there anything else?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi there,

I've changed mine (Springs and dampers, rear, front.) to Old Man Emus of Australia from the second year onwards and I'm still very happy with them even now, the 11th year, with no signs of failure yet, (knock, knock).

These have helped cut out on the extra rollings and pitchings that you get from the standard factory fitted springs and dampers. The OEMs are made by KYB (Kayaba) and sometimes Tokico.

You can also check out Black Diamonds and Ranchos too for your model (USA).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. If OEM is KYB I will probably wait to replace the shocks. I may look into an aftermarket sway bar. We will see.

·
Registered
631 Posts
No aftermarket sway bars available in N. America for an 01 Montero but they are available in Japan.

What kind of shock I'd recommend would depend on your driving intentions. Most of what I recommend are for off road use where shock performance falls quickly unlike on road use.

I know alot of Mitsu 4x4 people (mostly gen I and gen II owners... you have a gen III) that run KYB's as an aftermarket upgrade and they are VERY pleased with them especially when they aren't as expensive as other alernatives like Rancho, Edelbroch, Tokico etc. Most I know don't like ANY of the Rancho line of shocks (from the bottom of the line to their 9000's).

I'm about to try a set of procomp explorers due to a combination of cost (free) and a general lack of feedback among the mitsu 4x4 community.

That said, if I would have had to buy a set, I would have gone KYB.

HTH.

·
Registered
4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (off-roader @ Dec 26 2007, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No aftermarket sway bars available in N. America for an 01 Montero but they are available in Japan.[/b]
Hey off-roader-
Bringing this little thread back from the dead. Can you tell me any more about the aftermarket sway bars offered in Japan? I have a Gen III with an OME lift and feel that the body roll is excessive. Great bump absorption, but kinda scary on interstate ramps. Anyway, just wondering if you can tell me any more about where you've seen these sway bars because I've been looking far and wide. I read somewhere that the new 2008 models (not offered in the US) have an upgraded rear sway bar. Wonder if I could get a hold of one of those. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts