Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 lancer cedia and about a month ago it would sputter and feel like it’s dying every once in awhile, until it finally went out and the check engine light came on, a ton of black smoke cane out at the time. I decided to take it to the mechanic (don’t know much about Mitsubishi’s), the mechanic said one of the coil packs was bad. So I decided so I decided to have him change out the coil pack and spark plugs. This whole evolution happened twice because the first time he changed it he only had a used coil pack on hand. Well after the second time, when he installed a new coil pack I took the car home. It ran good for about 20 miles then it started to sputter very faintly every so often, mostly at an idle or take off. I don’t want to keep changing coil packs when it might be a different problem. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure he's used the right **** and put good fuel in it. Gdi motors don't take kindly to regular.
the ngk plug for the 1800 cedia (4g93) is BKR5EKUD. Wrong heat range (colder) may well be fouling but I'm not sure how that'd kill a coil.

Coils, in an ideal world, should all be replaced at the same time if one goes bad - Same with plugs.

Big plume of black smoke is a huge whack of fuel being burnt at once (super rich).

Aaaaaaaand I've just noticed how old this post is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts