Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this used lancer for my son, and it drove off the lot just fine. It sat for about a month, and now it won’t. I’m hoping there’s an expert here, because I’m stumped! Here’s what’s been done; new battery, new starter, new battery cables, new ground cable from battery to frame, new ignition switch. When the starter is unbolted from the frame, and I touch the cable from the battery to it, it’ll move. But for whatever reason it won’t when bolted in. I also pulled all the plugs out and manually cranked it over to make sure there was no pressure stopping it from moving. Any help would be awesome, thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you taken the key apart for any reason? There is an immobiliser chip inside the key.
no, I haven’t taken the key apart. How can I tell if it has an immobilizer chip? The car actually started once at random after about 40 tries, and hasn’t started again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Open up the key. next to the red/black remote part, stuck (hopefully) in one corner is a black rectangle shape. this is the chip.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No. new chips are not available from a dealer separate from a key (not sure about aftermarket) and would need programming.

When the starter is fitted have you tried giving the small wire 12v power direct from the battery? This should trip the solenoid and the engine should turn?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought this used lancer for my son, and it drove off the lot just fine. It sat for about a month, and now it won’t. I’m hoping there’s an expert here, because I’m stumped! Here’s what’s been done; new battery, new starter, new battery cables, new ground cable from battery to frame, new ignition switch. When the starter is unbolted from the frame, and I touch the cable from the battery to it, it’ll move. But for whatever reason it won’t when bolted in. I also pulled all the plugs out and manually cranked it over to make sure there was no pressure stopping it from moving. Any help would be awesome, thank you!
The 2002 Lancer does not have the transponder system. No chip in the key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts