Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do recognise that sound, it is a slow crank and no ignition.

Basics.....
When you first turned the key did you hear the fuel pump buzz ?
Does it have fuel ?
Is the gauge above half ?

A couple of months is vague, when did you last drive it with no issues ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response,

I do not remembering hearing a buzz when turning the key. The car is fully fueled.

It’s my project car so the last time I drove it with minimal issues was back in March.

I do know that one of the spark plugs need replacing but was wondering if there was any other troubleshooting bc the spark plug project will take a while.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hard to diagnose from a video clip but I can throw a few ideas on the table.

Its a four stroke engine, suck, squeeze, bang, and blow but missing the bang for some reason.
This could be no fuel, no spark, engine timing, catastrophic engine failure because all the valves are bent!

Probably not the last one as it seems to have some compression.

Are you using an original Mitsubishi key with the transponder chip still inside the fob ?
If not try one of the other keys in case the immobilizer is preventing a start up

I notice you have the engine bay fuse panel open.
Have you checked the fuses and relay for the fuel pump ?
These are apparently under the dashboard

A bit of reading seems to imply the fuel pump is activated once the crankshaft position sensor gives a signal.

Have you got the new spark plugs to hand ?
if so pull the lead off one of the plugs attach it to the new spark plug.
Tape the plug onto something metal, like the inlet manifold so you can see the end of the plug.

Get someone to crank the engine (DO NOT TOUCH THE PLUG AT THIS POINT) and watch the end of the plug
If you have a spark, we can rule out "no spark" and look at Fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I had some extra time today to check it out.
I changed the fuse for the fuel pump and it got really hot, making me think something is demanding more energy or a short circuit.

I can confirm there was no sound when rotating the key to ACC (my key does not have chip). There was also no gasoline coming out of the exhaust leading me to believe it is a fuel pump issue.

I am going to order a fuel pump and hopefully a replacement will fix it.

·
Super Moderator
2004 TL Magna(aka Diamante) AWD, 6g75 engine, F5A51 automatic trans.
243 Posts
Before going to the expense of buying a new fuel pump, and possibly finding that it is not the cure you were seeking, you might try:

Prestone Starting Fluid

Pick up this Prestone AS237 Premium Starting Fluid - 10 oz. to keep your vehicle running reliably and at peak performance. It has a highly concentrated premium ethyl ether formula for gasoline and diesel engines. This fluid is formulated to start stubborn engines fast in cold weather and is effective down to -65 degrees Fahrenheit. It can also help start engines with either too little fuel or too much, as in the case of a flooded engine. This high-ether formula is designed to ensure ignition because of its broad range of flammability. It also complies with the federal low-sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles and non-road engines. This item will make an ideal addition to almost any set of vehicle maintenance tools and accessories. Next time you're dealing with harsh wintertime conditions, give this Prestone premium starting fluid a try and keep your engine running strong.

Prestone AS237 Premium Starting Fluid - 10 oz:
  • Prestone starting fluid
  • Highly concentrated premium ethyl ether formula
  • For gasoline and diesel engines
  • Designed to start stubborn engines fast in cold weather
  • Engine fluid is effective in environments down to -65 degrees Fahrenheit
Spray for a few seconds into the inlet trunking(behind the air filter) and then try and start.

If the engine starts and runs for a few seconds and then cuts out, you have confirmed a "no fuel " situation which can then be looked at more closely.

I have used it a few times over the years, and it made finding an accurate cause of a failure easier.

And it costs very little.

Bottle Liquid Drink Material property Automotive tire

1 - 6 of 6 Posts