Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Outlander, this issue just started. If the car gets below 2K RPM the oil light will go on. Once I accelrate past 2K the light goes off. I figured oil was low and I was do for an oil change so got it done but light still comes on. Any idea's on why the light onyl comes on under 2k? Bad sensor? Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi earl,

your oil pump might be going!!! among the first signs can be insufficient pressure at idle, which will cause the light to go on, but the pressure is raised enough for the light to go out as soon as the engine rev's increase. you have some time before it goes, but not that much. get it checked as soon as you can so you're not left with more damage than just the pump....good luck and let us know!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by earlshoes@Mar 18 2008, 03:26 PM
I have an 03 Outlander, this issue just started.  If the car gets below 2K RPM the oil light will go on. Once I accelrate past 2K the light goes off.  I figured oil was low and I was do for an oil change so got it done but light still comes on. Any idea's on why the light onyl comes on under 2k? Bad sensor? Thanks
[snapback]150506[/snapback]​

hi mate I have the exact same issue on my 2004 2.4 LPG auto - just started today..... only difference is the oil light flickers then comes on fully when the engine is fully warmed up, and revs drop to 1K or below (eg stopping at a junction, when in Drive with foot on the brake).

Took it into dealers today and they reckon its the pressure switch. They will replcae it tomorrow. My concern is that its the oild pump as mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

I'll keep y'all posted too

·
Registered
45 Posts
UPDATE: Oil sensor or switch was replaced today. Got home, if revs hit 750rpm - oil light still flickers.... goes back in on monday. Dealer has purchased breakdown cover for me, just in case.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all that replied. My light actually stays on all the time now regardless of RPM's
. Recardo I got an extended warranty on mine so i will definatley bring it in to have looked at. Keep me updated. Thanks again and Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by earlshoes@Mar 26 2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks to all that replied. My light actually stays on all the time now regardless of RPM's
. Recardo I got an extended warranty on mine so i will definatley bring it in to have looked at.  Keep me updated. Thanks again and Good luck.
[snapback]152240[/snapback]​
Earl - sounds like yours has advanced to a more serious stage - if the oil light is on permanently I would not drive anywhere to far until the dealer has checked it and resolved the cause. I'm interested to see if it is the oil pump, I'll know more about mine next week ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
mines fixed now! I was under the impression the dealer replaced the pressure sender last week - they didnt, they replaced the wire!

when it went back in on monday they replaced the sender this time! (why couldnt they do that last week?????)

anyway - sorted now and they replaced the droplinks (or said they did!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the sames issue with the light of only coming on at low idle.
I had the switch replaced and then had the oil pan/screen cleaned and a new filter and oil.
Drove it for 2 days and then the light came back on but now its lit all the time.
Anyone resolve this issue? New oil pump?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I resolved this issue. Also see my post elsewhere to Outy. Had some tips on replacing the switch.
My issue was that after replacing the switch (the one located near the oil pan) by the first mechanic, the light came back on the next day and then I started leaking oil.
It wasnt even doing that before.
Today brought it in to another mechanic with a new part and found two issues.
The part in the car (which was new) was defective. Then, the new part had an issue with the threads so we couldnt put it in.
Both were purchased locally at Autozone and were slightly different although the same part number, PS123.
Will have to now go to the dealer and pay extra for one that is sure to work.

Took about 45 mins on a lift using a 1 1/16 socket and lots of patience!
Easy to take out but harder to put back in because of the angle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts