Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm stumped !
I have an 04 AWD Magna that has died while driving and thrown a d4 code where the odometer read out is.

Towed to mechanic who scanned and no codes came up .I jumped pins one and 4 to check myself and all clear. Car started again 3 days later when I picked it up, and I could clear the d4 by resetting the trip metre.

It died again tonight with no warning after coming up a hill and giving it a bit of juice after driving for about half an hour.

2 hours later it started up ok, no d4 code and I got it home.

I'm thinking: Fuel pump, tranny overheating or TLC solenoid. Help would be greatly appreciated.

It shifts and drives fine otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
2004 TL Magna(aka Diamante) AWD, 6g75 engine, F5A51 automatic trans.
287 Posts
Welcome.

I would also suspect a failing Air Flow Meter as a possibility.

My AFM was gradually getting worse and stalling more and more often, without displaying an error code until the last day when it failed completely and also displayed code 12.

Try disconnecting the AFM connector cable to see if it behaves itself.

Drive it gently, as the ECU will be in "limp home mode".

If it still misbehaves with the AFM cable disconnected, there will be another culprit.

But if it behaves itself for a few days, then chances are that it might be time to replace the AFM.

Once replaced with a good second hand AFM, my 2004 TL AWD has behaved impeccably for more than 5 years, except for a different failure of the alternator earlier this year- now replaced and fully functional again.

Please report back with updates.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give it a shot and report back.

It's really strange given it just dies totally (no limp mode) with no warning.

The first time it died , i was towing a lightly loaded trailer and the neutral light was flashing (indicating a transmission issue - overheating?)

This time the neutral light didn't flash. It just died in the arse. 2 hours later I could drive it home (as though it needed to cool down before going again)

Thanks for your thought, I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right O. Changed the fuel pump and filter (couldn't hurt) and disconnected the MAF sensor. Took it for a drive long enough to warm up, and it stopped after slowing down and pulling back into the driveway 10 minutes later (note: the drive I took it on involved hills, stopping and starting, going through the gears etc, all fine no problems. When it conked out, I was able to start it again with a bit of difficulty.

Later on I drove it for another 20 min (MAF sensor unplugged) all smooth and fine. When I got back in to drive home it would not fire up at all and I caught the bus home.

The next morning it fired up first go like nothing was wrong with it. Now I'm thinking : Relay / crank position sensor / solenoid / ECU or just push it over a cliff.

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
I would be thinking that a failing coil in the distributor might be a possibility.

When they degrade/fail, no code is generated.

$90 for a second hand unit:

$335 for a brand new unit.

A second hand unit might be worth a shot.

Replacement of a complete new/used distributor is not overly difficult.

If you need some advice as to how to replace, please ask and I will try to find some earlier threads from the old forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know what, I think you might be onto it. When i get it to die again, I'll check fuel and spark, and get back to you. It probably won't hurt to replace it anyhow. Could it also possibly be the reader coil behind the ignition ? I know this was a known fault in the earlier magna's but not sure if it also was a fault in the TW's. Cheers Leadfoot 👍

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
The reader coil is, I think, the immobiliser.

Once the car is started, I don't think it will exhibit the stalling as you have experienced.

It WAS a fault in earlier Magnas, but I also experienced it in my TL but I was fortunate enough to find it after only 1 full day of troubleshooting by myself.

Here is a link to what is known as the "Martybugs" fix:

Mine was not as involved as the full treatment.

The radio signal unit - the white ring in the key/ignition system must have been corroded to some extent, preventing the radio signal to the immobiliser being sent.

Disconnecting it and reconnecting it must have gotten rid of the corrosion.

It is actually the last item described in the article.

I was lucky, as it was an easy fix.

My car would not start at all for 20 hours, despite many, many attempts with troubleshooting conducted throughout, but did start again immediately after I did the disconnect/reconnect trick.

BUT, I don't think this will be the solution in your case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Leadfoot, it took ten minutes for the car to heat up and conk out again after returning to my driveway. I pulled a lead, attached a spare plug, and although I could feel a faint pulse, there was no spark.
New distributor ordered as a result 👍.
I'll report back once it's in . Thanks again. Once it's going I owe you a box of beer .

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
Yes I did, but I found the problem after 20 hours from initial non-start condition.

During troubleshooting I also found that my radiator cap had failed.

I'm lucky I found the failure of the cap at home in the driveway rather than on a long drive away from home.

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
Thanks Leadfoot, it took ten minutes for the car to heat up and conk out again after returning to my driveway. I pulled a lead, attached a spare plug, and although I could feel a faint pulse, there was no spark.
New distributor ordered as a result 👍.
I'll report back once it's in . Thanks again. Once it's going I owe you a box of beer .
When swapping, are you able to take some images and do a "how to" write up while you are doing it?

I hope to be able to replace some of the images/text that were lost when the old forum closed down.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh man. I only just read your post re the cheap distributor. I picked up a new one for $308, but never mind, it's in the car as of today and seems to be running well. I can't get it to faulter so all seems good.

I did take a couple of pics, but this guy nails it in his video.

Thanks again for your insight, and if being a moderator means you can access my email, drop us a line and I'll ship you a case of beer. You saved my butt.

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
Oh man. I only just read your post re the cheap distributor. I picked up a new one for $308, but never mind, it's in the car as of today and seems to be running well. I can't get it to faulter so all seems good.

I did take a couple of pics, but this guy nails it in his video.

Thanks again for your insight, and if being a moderator means you can access my email, drop us a line and I'll ship you a case of beer. You saved my butt.
Another good video from Billy Mason.

Thanks for the offer of beer, but it is not necessary.

I appreciate it, but I am just happy to help out other forum members.

Is your car still running OK?

P.S. I found a friendly lost dog about 6 years ago, which happily had a ride in my Magna.

After going to a vet to check the microchip, the dog's owner also offered me beer.....

I had given up drinking about 8 years ago.

Being a diabetic is not much fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Leadfoot. Your a good man. 😎👍🍺

I've driven the car enough now to realise the problem is fixed. I have subsequently re discovered my love of the magna and will be treating it to a new stereo and updated wood trim centre console out of the verada. Am also seriously considering some leather updated new old stock covers for the seats too. We'll see what the budget permits.

Thanks again LF . Your a legend.

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
That is great to see another Magna potentially saved from the scrap heap.

There would be many, many of them discarded prematurely solely from a failing coil.

It is only because of the old AussieMagna forum that I was aware of this.

Most mechanics wouldn't be able to find this easily, as it only seems to develop late in life.

I owned a stable of Nissan R31 Skylines from 2003-2016.

They had failing Crank Angle Sensors(formerly incorrectly remembered by me as the "coil").

The CAS was located inside the distributor.

It took a lot of years for the word to spread about this fault on the R31 Skyline website.

Likewise, there would have been lots of them in wreckers yards because of this.

I kept a spare R31 distributor in my car "just in case".

When my brother's R31 started failing, I was able to find the problem and swap the spare dizzy easily.

A cheap and easy fix - significantly easier in the R31.

Note to self.....buy a spare Magna distributor to have ready.

EDIT: I just remembered it was the Crank Angle Sensor inside the distributor failing on R31 Skylines.

Not the coil.

Post amended accordingly to correct my earlier error.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What a great story LF !

I have ordered an extra one to keep in the boot. Cheap insurance at $150. Speaking of scrap heaps, that's exactly where my mechanic said to send it. Haha.

I've learnt a lot more about the car now having gone through this experience and love the fact one can jump the diagnostic fault codes onto the dash.

My last car that I quickly learnt inside out was an ML 320 lemon of a merc. Great engine, but anything hanging off it broke over a ten year period.

A Volvo 940 wagon with dreams of an LS V8 conversion was once on the cards, and a cheap 928 that had too many issues to persue also came to an end. My forever car now is a 42' Dodge power wagon . Cheers LF 👍

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
What a great story LF !

I have ordered an extra one to keep in the boot. Cheap insurance at $150. Speaking of scrap heaps, that's exactly where my mechanic said to send it. Haha.

I've learnt a lot more about the car now having gone through this experience and love the fact one can jump the diagnostic fault codes onto the dash.
[.....]
Another useful spare would be an Air Flow Sensor.

About 5 years ago the original started to misbehave and then failed.

Up until the time of complete failure, no error code was generated, then code 12 was displayed.

I replaced it easily at home after advice as to what to look for from the local friendly mechanic, who taught me the trick that I could drive in "limp home" mode with the connector unplugged whilst waiting for the replacement with no ill effects.

Shortly after I purchased another Air Flow Sensor cheap to keep at home as a spare.

So far, I have not needed it, but it is nice to know it is there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts