Mitsubishi Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Haha. Yes , I did that too on your recommendation.

Today I dropped in a Sony stereo, and am looking forward to hooking up an amp and a subwoofer I've had in the shed for the last 20years ! The verada wood grain console is on its way too. Such a smooth car to drive . It's like it's brand new. I love it.
Car Vehicle Plant Steering wheel Steering part

·
Super Moderator
2004 TL Magna(aka Diamante) AWD, 6g75 engine, F5A51 automatic trans.
287 Posts
What sort of stereo harness/connector did you use?

Your radio display shows 104.9.

I can have a rough guess as to where you live.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I ended up hard wiring and soldering it. A fun afternoon ☺. I used the below wiring diagram that worked to a T. A lot has changed in the last 20 years but I'm going to put in the Sony xplod subwoofer and amp when I can. Now I'm familiar with the wiring, I'll put a relay in and maybe place the amp under the passenger seat.
Font Parallel Number Paper Document

Font Number Document

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Font Electronic device Cable Screenshot Multimedia

Apparently these fit for a plug and go. I did order one but unfortunately ended up with the wrong connection (I ended up with a split connection for a steering wheel controller - I don't think magna's had steering wheel radio buttons) . I'm in the lower blue Mtns. If your in Sydney, I'd be happy to go for a ride or a beer 🍺 .

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
I thought there were some ready made connectors available.

So far, I have left mine completely standard with the original head unit.

Sometimes, I think about a changeover, but I have not got around to it.

But I am not really adventurous when it comes to wiring.

I would need a guaranteed "plug & play" harness, or I will just leave it standard.

I live in the Illawarra now, near Kiama.

I used to work at Penrith Mitsubishi in the early/mid 2000's, before it became Nepean Motor Group.

We will catch up one day.

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
For others who may have a failing coil in the future, how long was the problem of failure noticeable for?

Was it a sudden event, or more drawn out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Zero warning .
I was driving through the mountains towing a trailer At the time the car shut down . I was using cruise control - (not ideal on an undulating winding road with a trailer) and the car just shut down. I dropped it into neutral and re started while driving which worked .... for a little while , about a km or 2 before it shut down again. I was able to pull up in a safe place.
The light at neutral did flash to indicate a transmission issue: twice a second = overheated transmission. Once a second = something else transmission wise. I didn't note what it was doing. But thought the problem must have been transmission.
I disconnected the battery In case it was a computer fault, to no avail. The dash then put up a flashing"d4" which I thought was a fault code. Later learning it wasn't a fault code but a code to select what model car you have (4wheel [awd] drive, hence "d4" - then it's "3.5" for 3.5 litre engine. It's in the Manual I didn't take time to read ) . I'd imagine the front wheel drive magna's have 2d to select.

Anyhow, after the car cools down it's good to go again like there is no problem. From cold start I had about 12minutes of driving before it would die again, and again. No warning . No coughing and spluttering. It just died while driving. On one occasion it just didn't re-start after an uneventful 10 minute drive prior.
I changed to fuel pump and filter to no avail, and then the distributor. As the two 12mm nuts were on tight, with not much room for leverage, I pulled the distributor off in pieces, dizzy cap first. The inner components looked worn and the plastic housings inside, cracked.
$300 Dizzy online brand new and away we've gone since. I bought an additional new dizzy to keep on the shelf for $150 on Leadfoots keen eye and recommendation.
Car only has 150 000km on it and it's driving like new once again.
Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I believe the flashing neutral light came on because of the jolting and jarring caused as the car conked out, not helped by towing a trailer going up a hill. The erratic movement might have confused the sensors, although no code was logged (then again, I disconnected the battery which may have cleared any codes)

·
Super Moderator
287 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Other Magna owners on the old site regularly reported that the problem was intermittent, and slowly getting worse.

From memory, you are the first that has indicated an abrupt failure.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts