Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have an 04 AWD Endeavor LS and have been very happy with it until lately. ITs got about 65k on the clock.

I noticed a few weeks back it had started making a constant low rumble/whine noise when driving normally from about 30 MPH up. The noise seems to come from the rear. It gets worse when turning left; better when turning right.

My first thought was that it was a rear wheel bearing - I took it to the dealer and they thought the same and replaced it. However, I just picked it up and the noise is still there, same symptoms (maybe a less pronounced).

The noise seems to only change dependent on the speed of the vehicle, not acceleration, deceleration or braking. Any ideas what else it could be? And do I have any comback on the dealer - I'm out of warranty and paying, and the problems not fixed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my name is chris i work at a mitsubishi dealer as a mechanic. The problem you are having is the rearend. I have already done 5 of them in the past month. You should be able to get it under warenty, at least all 5 that i did was under warenty or it might even be a recall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris. Thanks for the reply. However, my vehicle is out of warranty.

Can you expand on what the problem is? The hub bearings have been replaced, but the noise remains. I have not been able to get back to the dealer as I have been working overseas for a month, but have just returned to the US now.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
the rear differential noise hes talking about would change with thrust. Meaning it would be present usually when cruising, but probably not when decelerating.
the noise stems from incorrect pinion depth. that may still be your issue, but it would not change from loading one side of the car so I doubt it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by manybrews@Oct 29 2007, 05:45 PM
the rear differential noise hes talking about would change with thrust.  Meaning it would be present usually when cruising, but probably not when decelerating.
the noise stems from incorrect pinion depth.  that may still be your issue, but it would not change from loading one side of the car so I doubt it.
[snapback]118366[/snapback]​
Thanks. No, my issue sounds for all the world like a wheel bearing....except that has been replaced. Throttle on or off, makes no difference - it gets progressively worse the harder left you turn, and progressively better the harder right you turn.

Do you think it could be the drive shaft?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts