Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an 07 ES Lancer brand new and at approximately 1500kms I noticed a clunk in the front end when steering, braking and going over bumps. When inspecting the front end I realised the gap between the tyre and the wheel arch on the right was approx 1inch lower than on the left. Mitsubishi Dealer said the right spring had sunk, replaced the spring and the noise was gone, the right side was back to normal height and the steering felt light.

Now it has 6000kms on the clock, and for the last 1000kms or so it has been making a new (but similar) clunking sound in the front end when turning the wheel when stationary or at low speeds. I notice the sound when reversing out of my drive way and mostly when parking. I can also feel the grind through the pedals and when turning the wheel to correct a reverse park both the sound and the feeling are very prominent.

Mitsubishi Dealer say they have examined the shocks and suspension on both sides of front end and found no damaged components. They also claimed to have not been able to reproduce the fault at all at the workshop - even though the noise occurs every time the wheel is turned at low speeds. They claimed to have lubricated and tightened the suspension and when I got the car back the noise appeared to have gone. The steering was also noticeably stiffer and the ride and gear changes were much smoother - in particular the transition between 1st and 2nd which had been rough since I purchased the car.

Now, however, having driven the car around and parked it a few times I have noticed the sound is not gone, it is definitely quieter than before - but still very prominent.

Has anyone ever heard of something similar - or can anyone suggest what might be causing this so that I can take this up with the dealer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I cant be sure, as i am only a newbie, but this sounds familiar to my older car when i had a problem with a cv joint. It would make a grinding/thumping noise only when i turn especially at slow speeds and only that one side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts