Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend, I could not loosen the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley onto the crankshaft, so I was stopped cold in my attempt to change the timing belt.

Is this bolt standard threads (loosens counter clockwise, looking at the pulley), or is it left hand threads?

My air compressor only reaches 100 PSI maximum, and I want to be sure that I'm really trying to loosen it before I use higher pressure and a better impact wrench.

Has anyone else removed this bolt and pulley from this same or similar engine?

PS can anyone say if this is an interference engine - ie will I get bent valves if the timing belt throws while engine is running? It's been 80K miles since R&R.

Thanks, Drake

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by D57@Jan 9 2008, 03:03 PM
PS can anyone say if this is an interference engine - ie will I get bent valves if the timing belt throws while engine is running? Â  It's been 80K miles since R&R.
According to the timing belt catalog on the Gates site, it is interference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. The Chilton manual found in a post below indicates that the 1.5 is not listed as an interference engine by the manufacturer. I guess I really don't want to find out the hard way.

The chilton manual also made no mention of left hand threads on balancer bolt. I'm beginning to doubt that the balancer bolt is left hand threads, I think it's just overtightened. Come to think of it I have not run into any lefthand threads on balancer bolts, on any other engine, ever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Per Gillman Mitsubishi Service, Austin TX, it is standard threads, *NOT* left hand or any such. Mine just must be overtightened.

Thanks for helping. Regards, Drake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the balancer bolt loose by using a 3/4" box end wrench, and striking it sharply on the edge with a medium size hammer.

I used a torque wrench to return it to 62 ft-lb.

It is right hand threads, standard turn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The trick mechanics use is to put a socket and a breaker bar on the nut then bump the starter just s touch while the belt is still on (being sure that the coil is disconnected so as not to start the engine).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts