Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[email protected]i have a 98 mitsubishi mirage with the 1.5l 4 cyl engine. for the longest time i have looked for a header and exhaust for this engine. the problem i continuously encounter is that i can only find the setup for the 1.8l engine.

i have 2 questions and the first one i am pretty sure i already know the answer too... haha...

1. would the 1.8l header work on the 1.5l?

2. where can i go to find a header and exhaust for the 1.5l engine?

thanks everyone for your help...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for the welcome...

yeah it does suck that 300cc would make a difference. i havent bought a header yet, i just wanted to make sure yea or nay before i bought a 1.8 header only to find out it wouldnt fit ya know?

thanks for the info...

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Yes it does make a diffrence because of the head design and also they are diffe engines , the 1.8 is of the 4G9 series od engines and the 1.5 is of the 4G1 series . The head design alon is wut really makes the diffrence , the 4G15 in this car has spark plug at the front of the head near the exhaust manifold , as the 4G93 has traditional overhead cam spark plug placment in the upward position attainable through the upper portion of the cam cover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wuts up RPW.com makes alot of performance parts for the 1.5L engine. I know where your comin from cause its hard to find parts for the 1.5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1.5 98 mirage DE and I have it with the headers on (yes those headers exist!) :p, there is a very noticeable difference between the 1.5 and the 1.8 one of them its that the 1.5 headers are 4 exits but in a 2 to 1 form as for the 1.8 they are 4 individual exits. Many people do custom headers but they are usualy very expensive (approx $175) as for the ones i got they cost me $125 mounted. They were a pain to find because the most common of those headers are the 96 and under ones, these look very alike but the the 96 is longer and has a different pattern on the curve that makes it get stuck with the crankcase. I found mine after running every auto part store and speed shop in town and found them in a muffler workshop and got em mounted in the same place. It is very wise to change to headers since these cars tend to break the manifold very commonly or at least get it cracked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
can some one tell me what engines can i swap easily in my 4g15 1999 mirage DE. the simpler the better. and ofcorse i am talking about more power engine not down grading.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
well the 4G93 1.8 is the easiest , also the 4G64 frum a 1999-2001 american Galant also will fit . the 4G93 and the 4G64 both use the same automatic (F4A42) transmission and also the same manual transmission if yur converting to manual. The manual trans frum a 1.5 will not handle the beef of either for long at all .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts