Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 99 1.8 GDI Carsima, that about three months ago started going into a limp mode. I can be driving along, suddenly a loss of the power, no acceleration nor does the auto tranmission change and the car then limps to about 15mph with high revs when I drop the transmission to neutral or park, and sounds a bit crappy.

If I shut down the engine/ignition and leave it for a minute or two, the car will run fine again until the next time this happens which could be within a mile or two or 100 miles. Some days it will happen several times, others it will run fine for a week before return. The car runs and sound fine otherwise apart from the standard noisey tappets for a car of it's age.

When it drops into limp mode, the orange CEL flashes. Once the car has been restarted there is no CEL and no code it seems.

Anyone had this? Without a CEL on all the time it's hard to pull a code.

Is this like a sensor issue?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,674 Posts
Rent a code reader and drive around with it attached, when it falls into limp mode then read the code.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
agreed that car needs a diagnostic scanner

if the fail safe returns .quickly ... scanner will say what part has failed

there are too many sensors to guess what is causing the problem

tcu part of the ECM goes into fail safe gives you third and reverse

you can try resetting the ECM by taking out the ECM fuse or undoing the battery terminals (clears fault codes )

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Sounds like electronics acting up - old car ....

Check all connectors in engine bay - loose or corroded - maybe even a bare wire - random short.

But as said before - get the scanner

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know my answer is to late, but maybe it will help somebody in future. Problem is in the throttle body, since its electric, in my case magnets dis attached from the rod in the throttle body. I have repaired it my self using composite glue and drying it for 24 h

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 99 1.8 GDI Carsima, that about three months ago started going into a limp mode. I can be driving along, suddenly a loss of the power, no acceleration nor does the auto tranmission change and the car then limps to about 15mph with high revs when I drop the transmission to neutral or park, and sounds a bit crappy.

If I shut down the engine/ignition and leave it for a minute or two, the car will run fine again until the next time this happens which could be within a mile or two or 100 miles. Some days it will happen several times, others it will run fine for a week before return. The car runs and sound fine otherwise apart from the standard noisey tappets for a car of it's age.

When it drops into limp mode, the orange CEL flashes. Once the car has been restarted there is no CEL and no code it seems.

Anyone had this? Without a CEL on all the time it's hard to pull a code.

Is this like a sensor issue?

Thanks.
Our car, same one, does this. However that fault has now altered to uneven running throughout the Rev range without a large power loss, with this feature the Eco signal has disappeared permanently. I have taken advice from three sources and the majority view is a fuel pump fault, related to fuel pressure. Price quoted for replacement ( shipped from Japan) is 650 plus vat plus fitting. We only paid 450 for the car 6 years ago, it's done 150 thousand miles, not excessive. It's a beautifully made car, quite rare, and a good drive and condition and I would be sad to scrap it but the cost is silly. If anyone would be interested in taking it on and sorting it out and renovating cosmetically I would give it away free. Steve Raggett.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a bump here. I do believe that I own the car that the OP is on about. Which I bought from him in February 2017.

The car still has the fault. Although it did clear for a few weeks after having a new cat converter fitted for its MOT. I haven't been able to find an MUT2 code reader at a good price to read the error code when it happens.

I have noticed though that I can now "predict" when it's going to go into limp mode. As I mostly drive on the motorway, I keep the revs mostly steady. Sometimes, there will be an ever-so-slight drop in power for about half a second. And about 10 seconds later, it'll go into limp mode. I have also noticed that it happens more when I'm cruising in the lower rev ranges at 60mph. If I'm cruising at 70-80mph then it very rarely happens.

Without spending a fortune on an MUT2 reader or paying a garage a fortune to sort it, Do these issues jog anyones memory on what it could be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a further note aswell. I found that putting tappet cleaner in the oil tended to help a bit also. But the issue still remains and has been getting worse the last 48 hours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts