Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently had a new water pump fitted, but when i put the cam belt back on and start it up it seems fine, but when the cam belt covers get put back on it seems to be rubbing on the cover. You need a special tool to adjust the tension wheel but i used 2 small allen keys, which seem to work fine, i have done this several times but the belt just seems to work its way loose and the tension wheel seems to move. can anybody tell me where i am going wrong??????

·
Registered
499 Posts
there should be a 14 or 12mm nut in the center of the tensioner pulley as well.you may not be tightening it enough.use touch up paint or white tip-ex to mark the pulley with aomething on the backing plate to see if it is moving or something else is wrong.are the timing marks all exactly still lines up after it moves?I have had on occassion where the belt teeth were not sitting in all the pulley grooves when tightened and once started it then jumped into the groove where it should be and of course leaves the belt looser then where it was set.if I knew what engine yours has I can check my belt book to see if there is any other possabilities that can cause this(or to make sure I am talking about the correct style tensioner)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello thanks for your response. i have a mitsubishi FTO GR 2000cc 24 valve V6, i have just ordered a Cambelt Centre Idler Pulley Wheel and a Cambelt Tensioner to see if this stops the problems i am having? what do youo think???????

·
Registered
1 Posts
You need to remove the hydraulicc tensioner (just below the tensioner pulley)2 12mm bolts. Put in in a vise and close the vise slowley there is a small hole in the end of the plunger line this up with the hole in the body and put a drill bit. replace the hydraulic tensioner on the engine (with drill bit in place). Now adjust the tesioner bearing until the belt is tensioned (not to tight) Now pull out the drill bit and the belt will be tensioned to the correct amount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts