Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the forum as i have recntly become the proud owner of a 95 gpx!! I love the car to bits but just got one problem i need some advice on. What oil should be used in the engine?? Cos when its cold its quiet no tappet noise but when it warms up there is tappet noise there. It doesnt lose any power or run any differently. Could i use a better oil to help sort this problem????

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Yu are using inferior oil , if when the engine warms up and the oil viscosity breaks down the hydraulic lifters make noise. Has it ever been serviced?How much km's? When they are new to fair age , if they are properly taken care of they use low viscosity. But people are usually service them poorly so the oiling system goes to crap and usually a higher viscosity will be needed later in life

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought that mite be the problem. Thanks for the info. Its got 95000 on the clock but its a mix of km and miles cos its had the conversion done. Its had an oil change recently. but i dont know what oil was used. Could u recommend an oil for an fto of this age?? Maybe 5/30 would be better???

·
Registered
69 Posts
The GPX is the MIVEC type and has manual tappets not hydrolic lifters (lash adjusters). but you're right, anything over 70,000 miles you should be thinking about a 10W40 or a 15W40 oil. If you're getting poor fule consumption <20mpg with 100,000 miles on the clock then definatly go for the 15weight oil as it will help form a better seal round the pistons.

If you want the tapping noise to go away you need to adjust the tappets the old fassiond way with a special tool and a set of slip gauges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI all
I have recently inhertited my late dads fto GPVR areo series and was going to help him do an oil and filer change but he never came out of hospital , ive had several evos 2 Xs and an Evo 7 jap import , i always used millers oils woild i be able to use the same oils in the fto or just get a shell oil , i think my dad used gulf oil as it was the best but cant find any paperwork to see what he used.The car is mint its only done 200 miles since last service 2 yrs ago .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts