Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hoping i can get some answers.

My 1995 fto gpx has decided that it wants to stay in 3rd gear.

I started the car and the tiptronic gearbox switched straight to 3rd gear with the neutral light flashing.

If i put it into drive the box clonks in and then drives fine. Put it in reverse and it does the same.

Ive tried a few tricks offered by others like starting it in neutral etc but nothin has worked.

Any ideas???

Thanks

James

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, after a financial debate with myself ive had to suck it up and take my car to mitsubishi to find out the problem. £30+vat just for the computer test and results. worth doing!!

Results were not a simple as I hoped.
The computer test came out with two possible faults.

1- DCC (damper clutch control) solonoid sensor
2- Autobox ECU.

Now mitsubishi could not state which one it was.

Option 1 (DCC) is the cheaper option to go for, its a £33.39+vat sensor that in total is going to cost £260 inc vat to change. £60 per hour labour, 3hour booking time. (heart skipped a beat!!)

If this doesnt work then im looking at option 2 (auto box ecu) at £343 +labour +vat, so you can imagine what im keeping my fingers crossed for. no clue on total yet, probably around £600 all in. ( dont forget the £260 on top of that!!)

Ive found 2nd hand ECUs at around £100 but is this worth the risk. If its new its under warranty.

If the worst case comes up and anyone knows where i can get a cheaper new autobox ecu then feel free to share this information.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Well if it is only your tiptronic transmission that does it, it's the solenoid.

If it is on your regular tranny as well, It is definately your TCU, have them check that out.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
tRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT. Some of these that have these issues most of them are the Input Speed Sensor , or the reading. If its reading an abnormal rotation speed it will start the transmission at a higher gear , being it cannot properly evaluate wut speed the input shaft is turning at versus the output shaft , it cant properly modulate teh shifting pressure and this will cause the initial "clonk" when getting it into a lower selected gear.

This issue can be caused by the TCM and also the Input shaft sensor also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts