Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1996 (p) 1.6 carisma. I got two new lower ball joints from Jap-part as they need replacing for the MOT.
Only when I seperated the lower arm from from the suspension leg it looks like the ball joints are an intergral part of the lower arm. Am I being an **** or are the ball joints part of the arm?
Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
499 Posts
if there are no rivets you can grind off or bolts to undo then you need to replace the entire arm as an assembly.I have a 97 carisma myself so I can inspect tommorrow and report back as to my conclusion.I am pretty sure it is an entire arm but will advise when I can confirm this

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
499 Posts
the retainer clip you show does not actually do much for holding a ball joint in.it is a press in/out job(and generally very tight).you may find you can save yourself a lot of hassle and price the entire arm as this is what we used to do at mitsi when the need arose.no fancy tools required just nuts and bolts to undo.much much easier.as for the second link it would not work to show what you wanted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, after some head scratching and a big hammer the jobs done.

Removed the lower arms and checked bushes for wear. Drilled the bottom of the ball joint out and withdrew the ball. Hammered (carefully!!) the ball joint case out of the arm. Cleaned up the arm. Hammered (even more carefully!!!!) the new joint into the arm. Refit arm to car. Job's a goodun.

2 x Ball joints from Japart.co.uk £44 inc delivery.
2 hours including tea (beer) and biscuit (cigarette) breaks.

Would I go for just replacing the arms in future....?!!!

2 x Lower Wishbones from Japart.co.uk £198 + delivery. I would've saved well over an hour... but I don't price my time at over £150 an hour and once the ball's were out getting the case of the ball joint out was just a few well placed hamer attacks away!

I have heard the lower wishbones for the VOLVO S40/V40 will fit the Carisma and these are currently on Ebay for £37.50 which will cost an extra £40 or so and if the Bushes were knackered and I didn't already have the new ball-joints I might have gone for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts