Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Galant VRG and have been told that you can change / Upgrade the LCD control panel in the car from Jap to English via the GPS unit in the boot, which has the inbuilt CDROM.

Does anyone know if this is true and if so, where do I get the CD ISO from.

Many Thanks in advance

MainFrame

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just bought a 1997 VRG and trying to update the LCD will be one of my first projects. Has anyone got any info on the GPS unit at all , that may be helpful ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Further investigation has revelaed that an English translation of the MMCS Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System is obtainable, which I suppose will be some help but I would love to be able to hack about with the CD itself. Has anyone got any info on the MMCS, programming it etc ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by agree@Aug 31 2004, 07:46 PM
Further investigation has revelaed that an English translation of the MMCS Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System is obtainable, which I suppose will be some help but I would love to be able to hack about with the CD itself. Has anyone got any info on the MMCS, programming it etc ?
[snapback]1022[/snapback]​

Where can you get a copy of the CD "English translation of the MMCS " from as I would be willing to buy it of download from someone and pay money.

cheers in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by MainFrame@Sep 1 2004, 04:51 PM
Where can you get a copy of the CD "English translation of the MMCS " from as I would be willing to buy it of download from someone and pay money.

cheers in advance
[snapback]1039[/snapback]​
Hi, I am also after this CD. Any information greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by MainFrame@Aug 31 2004, 07:51 PM

cheers in advance
[snapback]1039[/snapback]​
Hi there
Where can I get a copy. I have a 25st with the Jap LCD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I guess no further responses means we may have met a deadend on this line. Surely someone knows what to do. I have just brought a japanese import with the MMCS and am really keen to convert to English if it is possible. Can anyone answer if it is possible or not.? I see an instruction book for sale on the net at around A$50 can any one tell me if it is worth purchasing. It suggests the book is for the 1996 model and on. I have a 2000 model. Also it would be fun to get the TV working. I think Japan is NTSC where in New Zealand we are PAL-B. I have been told they can be converted but I'm not sure how. Somebody must have done it. Can you give us a lead? Cheers

Russell

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also after this Cd.
in searching for this elusive English CD Ive heard from several NZ Mitsubishi suppliers "It will be avalible at the end of this year or early next" any help in finding this CD or information on reprogramming the Unit would be helpfull
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heres a Reply I got back from Mitsubishi Motors NZ Ltd

We have never heard of such a Cd to change the Japanes into English. You
should pursue the website you found this on.
Please contact your nearest dealer who will be able to assist with a manual
for your close equivalent car in English.
The touch screen is unique to Japan and may not be covered in any English
translated manuals.
Regards
Lloyd

seems like these guys have never heard of it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello

I have been down this avenue myself. The TV will not pick up PAL signals, the box needs a converter, I believe they are about 40 quid. Personally I am waiting to obtain a PAL/NTSC dvd player to go into the boot. My paticular tuner in the boot has a line in feed for players etc.

No translation software for the MMCS unit exists, the language itself is not contained on the Navigation CD but rather on a rom within the MMCS unit itself. Unless you know how to flash the ROM to a UK script, that idea is probably a no-starter.

I did find out however, and this may be an avenue that some may wish to persue, that the map disks are not made by Mitsubishi, but by Pioneer as part of their carrozzeria sat-nav software. I see no reason why a UK copy of this software would not give you UK streets. Then of course its only a matter of working out the Japanese script, which as I have said already is embedded within the MMCS unit.

For lots more information on this and other Galant/Legnum/VR4 queries, have a look at the forums on http://www.clubvr4.com/ search for 'mmcs' and you'll see some of the extensive reasearch that has gone into this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by AntonyBaker@Nov 23 2004, 04:48 AM
Hello

I have been down this avenue myself.Â* The TV will not pick up PAL signals, the box needs a converter, I believe they are about 40 quid.Â* Personally I am waiting to obtain a PAL/NTSC dvd player to go into the boot.Â* My paticular tuner in the boot has a line in feed for players etc.

No translation software for the MMCS unit exists, the language itself is not contained on the Navigation CD but rather on a rom within the MMCS unit itself.Â* Unless you know how to flash the ROM to a UK script, that idea is probably a no-starter.

I did find out however, and this may be an avenue that some may wish to persue, that the map disks are not made by Mitsubishi, but by Pioneer as part of their carrozzeria sat-nav software.Â* I see no reason why a UK copy of this software would not give you UK streets.Â* Then of course its only a matter of working out the Japanese script, which as I have said already is embedded within the MMCS unit.

For lots more information on this and other Galant/Legnum/VR4 queries, have a look at the forums on http://www.clubvr4.com/ search for 'mmcs' and you'll see some of the extensive reasearch that has gone into this.
[snapback]2669[/snapback]​
For those in NZ and even those outside looking for a manual on the MMCS system check out http://www.jpnz.co.nz/handbooks.html

I found a fully translated manual for my 1998 Chariot Grandis at a shop called Techbooks in Newmarket for the Kiwis reading this post) and a fully translated manual for the MMCS system. They have details for the 3 different types of mcs systems. I found the manual extremely helpful apart from one small issue that being my MMCS unit needs the cd too :)...I get, what I assume is an error message saying to insert the disc. Any luck on getting hold of one? I spoke to one of the local Auckland dealers who was useless in helping get a disc or offering to help with the unit.
So lets hope someone get shold of a copy which we all can buy/download.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by rabs999@Dec 15 2004, 11:10 PM
For those in NZ and even those outside looking for a manual on the MMCS system check out http://www.jpnz.co.nz/handbooks.html

I found a fully translated manual for my 1998 Chariot Grandis at a shop called Techbooks in Newmarket for the Kiwis reading this post) and a fully translated manual for the MMCS system. They have details for the 3 different types of mcs systems. I found the manual extremely helpful apart from one small issue that being my MMCS unit needs the cd too :)...I get, what I assume is an error message saying to insert the disc. Any luck on getting hold of one? I spoke to one of the local Auckland dealers who was useless in helping get a disc or offering to help with the unit.
So lets hope someone get shold of a copy which we all can buy/download.

Cheers
[snapback]3478[/snapback]​
I've just ordered a translated manual from 'www.importdriver.com.au' They are in Australia but it turns out the publisher is actually located here in New Zealand. When I receive it I'll post the title, publisher name and ISBN number for those interested.

According to the website the manual contains info about the car AND the stereo system. It's interesting that you mention you have found a seperate manual for the MMCS. If the MMCS info in my manual isn't elaborate enough then I'd like to get a copy myself. Can you tell me/us the title, publisher name and ISBN number please.

The white message box with Japanese text in the middle of your screen is indeed telling you that you need to place the reset CD. My (all-brand) dealer didn't have the CD either but took my car to the official Mitsubishi dealer here in Hamilton where they reset the system.

I know of someone with a copy of the CD but unfortunately their copying software isn't able to copy it. If anyone has some software that might help there then I'd love to hear about it.

If you're willing to pay 25 British pounds for it then I also know of someone in the UK willing to sell copies of the CD. Send me an email if you'd like his contact details.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by beijerling@Dec 17 2004, 09:24 AM
I've just ordered a translated manual from 'www.importdriver.com.au'
According to the website the manual contains info about the car AND the stereo system.
[snapback]3556[/snapback]​
I just received the Chariot Grandis user manual I ordered but, although it does contain usefull/interesting info about the car, it contains absolutely NO INFO on the use of the MMCS! (There are all told 2 pages about the stereo system but these only talk about the propper use/care of casettes and CD's).

So... I just ordered the English translation of the MMCS user manual from JPNZ which you can find by using the following link:

www.jpnz.co.nz/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=68&cat=3&page=4

In conclusion I think it's fairly save to conclude that unfortunately there is NO CD software available that can convert the Japanese on-screen text to English.

The only CD there is and that (Mitsubishi themselves know about) is a reboot/reset/initialisation CD that is needed to reboot the MMCS after it's been without power due to a battery deffect/replacement. These CD's are/should be had by official Mitsubishi dealers who can reset your system for you.

There are also couple of private individuals (not me) who own a reboot/reset/initialisation who may be willing to make a copy on request for a fee.

Good luck,

Daniel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey all, that translation cd seems non existant as I have also been searching with no luck.
Thankfully my car which was imported used from Japan, came with the navigation cd for the MMCS, but without cd changer nor tv receiver module.

I'm looking for a cd changer that would be compatable with the indash cassette radio.......I believe a Kenwood may work as the pin out from behind the deck looks like the female 13 pin.......Also the tv tuner seems to be impossible to locate for my car where I live. Any ideas will be greatly welcomed/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I too have now started the investigation for a Pajero MMCS... I have a CD in it that when zoomed out to 60KM on the GPS im driving in the ocean next to some country .... I live in auckland if anyone wants a copy of the cd.

I will buy a copy of the MMCS book tomorow and know a few electronic engineers whom I will go visit, maybe they will be able to strip the GPS and perform a miracle who know, has anybody contacted a mitsi dealer in Japan to see if they know anything about converting from Jap to English? Probably not but worth a try.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,
I just discovered two thing which may be of interest:

1. The battery of my 1998 Chariot Grandis Exceed died on me yesterday and after jump-starting it my MMCS showed the dreaded Japanese message box asking for a CD. Although I don't have the so called reboot/reset CD spoken of I thought I'd try the (Japanese) Navigation Software CD, (that a very kind fellow forum member sent me a copy of), and lo and behold IT WORKED! After inserting the CD it took a couple of seconds before showing some other Japanese message along the bottom of the screen and then a couple of seconds later the system came back to life. I did press the function toggle button a couple of times after inserting the CD because it didn't react immediately but I don't think it made any difference. (The Function Toggle button is the most left bottom button on my Chariot Grandis MMCS pannel. Please note that there are 3 different types of MMCS).

2. According to a message (posted on www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2531571) the thing that controls the language displayed on the screen is a (replacable?) microchip which costs about NZ$ 1,400

I'm still interested in obtaining a Navigation Software CD with a NZ road map if it exists and instructions for connecting other devices (such as DVD, CD-changer etc.) to the system. Unfortunately the translated MMCS user manual doesn't include any technical (device connection) instructions but does mention the system needs an optional TV-tuner in order to be able to connect any other Video/DVD devices.

Daniel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,
i just bought a mitsubishi galant today and it didn't come with a navigation cd..
i was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to send me one..
Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by beijerling@Jan 16 2005, 04:41 PM
Hi there,
I just discovered two thing which may be of interest:

1. The battery of my 1998 Chariot Grandis Exceed died on me yesterday and after jump-starting it my MMCS showed the dreaded Japanese message box asking for a CD. Although I don't have the so called reboot/reset CD spoken of I thought I'd try the (Japanese) Navigation Software CD, (that a very kind fellow forum member sent me a copy of), and lo and behold IT WORKED! After inserting the CD it took a couple of seconds before showing some other Japanese message along the bottom of the screen and then a couple of seconds later the system came back to life. I did press the function toggle button a couple of times after inserting the CD because it didn't react immediately but I don't think it made any difference. (The Function Toggle button is the most left bottom button on my Chariot Grandis MMCS pannel. Please note that there are 3 different types of MMCS).

2. According to a message (posted on www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2531571) the thing that controls the language displayed on the screen is a (replacable?) microchip which costs about NZ$ 1,400
I'm still interested in obtaining a Navigation Software CD with a NZ road map if it exists and instructions for connecting other devices (such as DVD, CD-changer etc.) to the system. Unfortunately the translated MMCS user manual doesn't include any technical (device connection) instructions but does mention the system needs an optional TV-tuner in order to be able to connect any other Video/DVD devices.

Daniel
[snapback]5188[/snapback]​

Can I get a copy of the CD that reset you system please [email protected] would be much appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
<_< Hi Yes i am also tring to get a cd player working and a tv tuner unit, i have purchased a Mitsubishi 6 disk staker from trade-me out of a 1992 jap emerald, connects up but the MMCS still does not recognise it has anybody gota tv tuner unit i can buy, also yes it is NTSC a PAL covertor is avalible arround $200-300NZ this will work nicely however a multi system DVD player should also work well, can any body tell me what this reset cd is??

Cheers
Originally posted by MainFrame@Jan 18 2005, 10:32 PM
Can I get a copy of the CD that reset you system please [email protected] would be much appreciated
[snapback]5446[/snapback]​

1 - 20 of 31 Posts