Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anyone ever had the misfortune of breaking the Automatic antenna plastic feeler that pushes and retracts the antenna? I know this is a very rare incident, so you either replace the whole unit or install a new in-cab window antenna.

Anyways, I have bought a used automatic antenna for a song and am about to go replace the whole unit or open up and replace the feeler only.

The biggest question is, has anyone ever opened up the side panel (left front) to get to the antenna? What are the risks involved here?

Thanks.

NUR

·
Registered
499 Posts
normally if the aerial gets broken off you can usually just replace the aerial unit along witrh the plastis guide.this is available from your dealer and can be changed in a few minutes most times.to do it you inscrew the top cap and pull the broken aerial out .this is a two person job as you need someone to turn the radio on as you pull.this extends the aerial.90% of the time it will come out no prob.to install the new one you feed the plastic guide down as far as yo9u can without forcing it.next have someone turn the radio off and if done correctly you should be able to assist the aerial back down into position as the aerial motor retracts.if you have any doubts then let your dealer do it.they should charge no more than 1/2 hr labour and if it is more serious than just an aerial than you not stuck with an aerial.

On a final note, this is a procedure done in the uk spec so if your outside the uk it may not be applicable to your vehicle as I know that mitsubishi does make minor changes in other countries.good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Conan.

My Pajero has Japanese specs, just like Shogun Super Exceed, altho' they are exported CBU to Malaysia.

The automatic antenna may extend fully to about 3'-3.5' (there's switch for this) or set to default at halfway (about 1.5') above the left side panel, for ease of parking in low rise basements.

I have uncapped the screw before, but I didn't think you could pull the whole gizmo out. I'll check it out tho' and give it a shot. My thinking is that the steel casing is embedded to the motor unit and the plastic feeler guide is installed by removing the round case cover at the base of the motor, which you could only access by removing the side panel.

My main concern is removing the side panel, which may let some clips and fasterners to come loose or even break.

I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Conan

I've just checked my antenna and it's like you described. Unfortunately, the broken segment is stuck inside and won't come out. I'll try it a few times tomorrow, otherwise, i may have to open the wheel tub covering and access the antenna unit from there, this might work.

Thanks again and I'll post the results later. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have the same problem, i've tried to repair it by changing the white plastic feeler, problem is its too brittle, for the moment, i have found a hyundai starex van antenna and tried to adapt it with my present one, it worked but now whenever i extended it to full the antenna simply fell off, so now, its always at half mast.

i have a replacement though, just waiting for the present one to conk out. i bought the spare from a parts surplus shop here in manila. it cost around USD $30.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just like Conan described it, you could just unscrew the cap and pull out the telescopic antenna and the plastic guide, it comes in one piece, so I guess the spare part would be this unit for replacement.

Anyway, I got myself a Honda antenna, which is slightly longer and a tad thinner in diameter. I had to open up the side panel to open up the unit and remove the broken part, then closed it all up. It's quite a pain to do it (1 hour), just so you could open up the round casing (3 minutes) to remove the broken guide.

Installation of the new feeler guide as Conan described it took only 30 seconds.

The Hyundai antenna , I think is smaller in diameter so it is not retained tightly in the housing, thus it extends over and out.

Mine works OK but it not exactly like the original one. Till I find a correct replacement, I'll just hang on to this for a while.

The Parts no. for the whole original antenna unit is : MR 238998 (158500 - 0050) 12v by DENSO.

Regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
1998 3.0 v6 LWB. uk shogun. new to me

The other day the power aeiral came up as normal but then separated in the middle and fell over!

I have read through the posts and followed the good advice on replacing the mast but cannont get the remainder of the mast out of the housing?
The next question is, can I rejoin the sections and just feed it back into the housing?
The toothed belt looks fine, if a little oily.

Hopefully someone can help

regards
A

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
It is spossed to be a little oily. Reasons why the plastic toothed cable that pushes up and retracts the power mast breaks is because it dries out. It needs to stay oily lubed in there so that it free moves. To get the small peice that still in out yu need to remove the power mast motor and open the case and take it out. I do not think yu did that perhaps. But the mast case is large enough and most people juss feed the new mast cable in and its fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts