Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not a car junkie- so i really have no idea how to do it..
i know that some radios have those special "key holes" of course mine doesnt.
i have a 02 mit. lancer es completly stock. i want to take out the radio... HOW do i do this? i dont have a manual either... any help appreciated- thanks

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
1. Remove all 3 HVAC knobs.
2. Unscrew 2 screws inside pocket holding it to the trim panel, both screws are inside at the top.
3. Unscrew 2 screws behind temperature knob and vent selector knob.
4. Remove trim panel around radio and HVAC controls.
5. Unscrew 4 screws holding radio in place, two on left, two on right.
6. Pull radio out.
7. Unscrew 2 screws from adapters, one on each side.
8. Remove wiring harness and antenna cable.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Also, on a side note.

The OEM stereo is chassis grounded, meaning the ground for the stereo is built into the case of the stereo, so when you install a new stereo you'll have to hook the ground wire to a suitable ground (I'd attach it to the screw from Step #5).

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Originally posted by mfalik@Feb 27 2006, 12:16 PM
Also, on a side note. 

The OEM stereo is chassis grounded, meaning the ground for the stereo is built into the case of the stereo, so when you install a new stereo you'll have to hook the ground wire to a suitable ground (I'd attach it to the screw from Step #5).
[snapback]46882[/snapback]​
Good point, and thank you. I never grounded my Kenwood :clap:

·
Registered
18 Posts
My antenna cable isn't coming out. Is there some sort of trick to it with the 06 model? All the past cars I've put decks in you just pulled it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 06 Lancer ES... Do i follow the same instructions, and if so, how do i remove the HVAC knobs... they don't seem to just pull off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pull harder :) I was afraid I was going to break something at first too..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have finished steps 1-3, but step 4 seems to be difficult... it almost feels as though there are some other screws I am missing... I just got this thing like 3 days ago and I don't want to break it already :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thats how it felt to me too, it's just got a lot of those little plastic latches underneath. Pull harder, it won't break :) grats on the new lancer :clap:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Nope, you're not missing any screws. It is just hard to pull off, because there isn't a good way to get leverage. What I do is grab onto the bezel around where the HVAC knobs were. Pull slowly and the bottom should pop off (but not all the way). Then you can slowly (gently) work your way around the entire bezel until it can be removed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmm... i hate how my CD player mounts... its a sony flip cd player... are there any custom mounting brackets that i could get, and if so, where do i get them?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I haven't seen any. I didn't like the way my stereo looked after I installed it, so I took it out and upgraded my sound system to the factory Infinity Sound System (isn't available on ES).

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, i had no problems getting the deck out but ill be shagged if i can find a wiring diagram anywhere anyone able to help me out?

Cheers,

·
Registered
2 Posts
-Mfalik-
Why didn't you just buy a wiring harness adapter?

what do you mean adapter? from the stock to my clarion?
I didnt even know that was a possibilty....
Anyhoo its an MR538186 as far as i can tell...

Also... Mfalik yeah dude im in Australia..

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Originally posted by sryuuza@Jul 12 2006, 12:29 AM
hmm... i hate how my CD player mounts... its a sony flip cd player... are there any custom mounting brackets that i could get, and if so, where do i get them?
[snapback]59184[/snapback]​
Go to Road Race and look under interior accessories. There is a mounting kit to turn the cubby hole into a radio hole. That way, you can put gauges, or even better, a flip out screen for it. Who knows...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys,
Ok, I got the same problem recently, found and answer here and it worked great! Is the connector on the back of the player standard or I need to rewire something to install different player?
Thank you,
Ilya

1 - 20 of 44 Posts