Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant that will not set the CAT and EGR monitors. I believe I may know what the problem is. I took it to a certified G2 repair center, and they hooked it up to their emission inspection scanner. The tech showed me how the MAF and the up-stream O2 sensors where fluctuating wildly trying to compensate for a problem. I told him my car also sets a MAF fault code from time to time. My car was also idling at 1200 RPM, and the base idle screw is all the way in.

The G2 Tech told me this is a sign of a vacuum leak. He said if I fix the vacuum reset the idle, and take it for a cycle drive to set the monitors it should be fixed. I tried finding the vacuum leak the old fashion way with a can of carb cleaner trying to shoot it in certain areas of the engine while running, but this is not working. The only way to find the leak is with a smoke test. I am taking my Galant to a shop this morning to have a smoke test done on it to find the vacuum leak. I will post the results when the test is done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got the smoke test done, and they found all kinds of small cracks in the plastic air intake duct tube that are not easy to see with the eye. This what is causing my MAF sensor and O2 sensor to go crazy, and not set my monitors. Now I know why people that have older OBDII vehicles that are 10 to 20 years old all have aftermarket steel intake duct tubes because the stock plastic ones dry rot crack, and cause all kinds of problems with clean air flow to the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts