Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

Today I noticed an erratic noise at idling on my 2002 lancer. I don't know if it is the idling itself or something else. It is cyclic with the idling. And It sounds like 3 normal and one rattle. Like - - - brrr (Sorry I'm not really good at explaining noises with words ;-) ) Also It sounds like its coming more from the left side of the engine.
Oh also It feels like when the noise occurs the car/engine shakes.

Any Idea ?

Thanks and sorry again for my weak explanation

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wrong fuel type ? Humm. I was used to used regular (shell) gas and yesterday I put some V-Power.

Concerning the fuel filter, has the lancer es a filter you can change or is it intank ?

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
as for the fuel type, i meant what level octane you were using ie; 89 or 93 etc.... if it is knocking, move up.

as for the fuel filter, i do not know where it is located, sorry mate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read that the V-Power has a high octane rate. Can that actually be bad for the engine if for example I'm supposed to put regular ?

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
some cars need a higher octane in order to run better and to have a good engine life, its not necessarily bad to run your car at a higher octane level, for instance i put 93 octane shell as well and i noticed my car ran a whole lot better then just using regular, your best bet would to just get it checked out...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Spark plugs, distributors, clogged fuel injectors, or air filter could be the source of erractic idling.

How many miles are on the car?

As for wrong fuel type, this debate is argued constantly.

The owner's manual says to use a fuel with a minumum octane of 87 (lowest grade at the pump). People argue and say that if you use a higher octane it's going to hurt your car (which I think is total BS).

Now, you could have also had bad gas. I would suggest putting a can of "Sea Foam" in your tank the next time you fill up. It removes water from the gas, and cleans the injects.

As for the fuel filter, it's integrated into the fuel pump, which is accessed under the rear seat. I wouldn't suggest an amateur mechanic change this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car is 90400 miles and I changed the spark plugs and air filter a month ago (around a 1000 miles ago).
I will get it checked as I need to get an alignment done this week. But I always like to have an idea before I go in case they would BS me too much ;)

How many miles are on the car?

As for wrong fuel type, this debate is argued constantly.

The owner's manual says to use a fuel with a minumum octane of 87 (lowest grade at the pump). People argue and say that if you use a higher octane it's going to hurt your car (which I think is total BS).

Now, you could have also had bad gas. I would suggest putting a can of "Sea Foam" in your tank the next time you fill up. It removes water from the gas, and cleans the injects.

As for the fuel filter, it's integrated into the fuel pump, which is accessed under the rear seat. I wouldn't suggest an amateur mechanic change this.
[snapback]154453[/snapback]​
[/quote]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts