Mitsubishi Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Lancer Oz Rally Manual

A while back my Lancer would start to heat up whenever I would be in a traffic jam but as soon as I hit 40mph or faster the temp gage would go down so I ignored it. The problem finally caught up with me and after heating up so much my car turned off on me. After It cooled I poured in some coolant and when I went to check the oil there was water mixed in with the oil on the dipstick.

Have I blown the engine and need to replace it or is there an alternative?
What would be the best thing to do?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Your head gasket could be damaged/warped. It's pricey to fix. A shop would charge you about 4-5 hours to install a new head gasket.

But, if you seized your engine, you could have a lot of other problems.

Your best bet would be to get a used engine from a salvage yard and have it installed. For used engines try www.car-parts.com

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Originally posted by xkidd@Jan 16 2008, 10:30 PM
2002 Lancer Oz Rally Manual

A while back my Lancer would start to heat up whenever I would be in a traffic jam but as soon as I hit 40mph or faster the temp gage would go down so I ignored it.  The problem finally caught up with me and after heating up so much my car turned off on me.  After It cooled I poured in some coolant and when I went to check the oil there was water mixed in with the oil on the dipstick.

Have I blown the engine and need to replace it or is there an alternative?
What would be the best thing to do?
[snapback]135066[/snapback]​
Stop driving it first of all. Second, it's most likely your head gasket. If teh head's not warped you should be good. Just have the headgasket replaced, flush the radiator, and coolant, and change the oil. Hopefully.

·
Registered
24 Posts
your head is deffinatly warped. but you can possibly get it milled flat. and don't drive it untill its fixed or you'll just cause further damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts