Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

First, I'd like to thank everybody for their participation on this board. It's really great to see such a large and informed community!

I just purchased my second Monty (first was an 01 Limited a few years ago) this past weekend. It is a 2002 XLS. This time around, I'm expecting to get it quite a bit more dirty. :)

Alright, I'm having a major issue and hope someone could shed some light. I've searched the forums and have found somewhat related info - but nothing hitting the mark. Yes, I've even read the sticky.

The first time I engaged 4H and 4L, everything worked great. Shift was smooth, indicator lights showed and it performed as expected (I was just testing in a gravel parking lot). However, when I took it back to 2H, the front wheel indicator lights continued to flash. I could tell I was back in 2H and continued on my way. After a short while of interstate driving, the lights finally stopped flashing. All was good until I came to a stop; as I slowed, a loud whirling noise emitted from the front (likely from the axel) continuing to get louder as it slowed...until finally a loud "clink" and the indicator lights came on flashing again. Obviously I'm having some issue with the front axel/wheel engaging or dis-engaging. The lights/whirling/clink issue is random and does not happen everytime I drive and the flashing lights are continuous if I'm in 2H. This morning, I heard it again when coming to a stop but this time I shifted into 4H as I slowed and expectedly the sound stopped.

I took it to my local Mitsubishi dealer and after four and a half hours, they came back and said that I need my G-sensor and two wheel speed sensors replaced. I asked if that was the cause of my issue and they hesitantly responded "it's all related." Yea, no confidence there as they never gave me a strait answer. My general mechanic is stumped as well. He has spent some time with it, albeit never witnessing the whirling sound (like I said, it is random). We're both doubtful that the G and wheel speed sensors have anything to do with it.

Does anyone have a clue? I'll even take a "uhhh duh, here is the obvious and this is how you fix it."

Thanks...and thanks for the opportunity to join the forums!

-DLX

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't think it is a sensor but rather a mechanical problem with hubs or possibly only one hub not spinning free when dis-engaged. You probably looked at the sticky on 4wd and flashing lighhts as it explains how to check each part of the system. Basically, vehicles that don't have the 4wd engaged on a regular basis (ie monthly) get a bit sicky and tend to have problems like this. If you haven't done any damage try engaging for some short runs around town and disengaging several times. If it doesn't loosen up you will prbablay need to re-bulld your hubs and regrease (not a big job) IMO.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jim!

Thanks for the response. Yea, I caught the sticky, very useful and I'm thinking I may find some related answers. Is the guide applicable to the 2001 and on gen III as well? There are some specifics in there such as color coding and location/description of items. That would be a big help.

I've tried engaging and dis-engaging a few dozen times to no avail. Your "if you haven't done any damage" statement sort of made my stomach flip. Ugh. haha ...but I will try it some more.

Another question: would you define "hubs" for me?

Thanks again!

-DLX

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I really don't know if the guide is specific enough to your vehicle as it mainly defines how the sysetm operates and how to check for faults. There will be numerous varitions to the sytems as new modles get released. A service manual is the best for specific application info like wiring & vacum diagrams.

'Hubs' are the assembly of parts compromising front wheel axle, cv joints, bearings and engaging sprockets. The wheels are free wheeling when not in 4wd mode and must get engaged to the front driving axle when in 4wd mode. There are several ways to do this and most modern trucks use the automatic selection whereas the older ones needed to be locked in by hand. This is where the problem lies as they get old or not maintained they tend to lock or unlock into position when they shouldn't. If one wheel locks in for instance without being selected the wheel will be driving the axle rather than the other way around. This can be very noisey as the parts are running in reverse and most likley one wheel is driving but not the other. Make sense?

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again, Jim! Your help is very much appreciated!!

Finally, today, a solution was given from a Mitsubishi dealer about an hour away. They were above and beyond helpful AND very knowledgeable. Turns out it is two transfer switches affecting the lights and a freewheel solenoid pack is needed to fix the "whirling" noise. The three sort of work in conjunction the best I could understand and gather (don't quote me). The transfer switches control the solenoid pack which assists in engaging/dis-engaging. The switches also report back to the dash status display. Apparently it isn't a too common of a problem, but has been seen time from time.

The part numbers are:

MR130381 (freewheel solenoid pack)
MR553148 (transfer H-L switch)
MR528028 (transfer gear switch)

Thanks again for your help! Look forward to chatting again soon! ...I'll be lurking around. :)

-DLX

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. These problems can be a nighmare if you don't have someone in the know.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by Delux@Feb 11 2008, 09:02 PM

This is a very common problem with Montero's and Pajero's. I have the same problem, and I've replaced all of the items mentioned and more. But mine still does it, and note that I use my 4X4 a lot about 40% of my driving is in 4WD, and always has been.

I'm glad you fixed yours, I just chose to run in All Wheel Drive from now on.

Thanks again, Jim!  Your help is very much appreciated!!

Finally, today, a solution was given from a Mitsubishi dealer about an hour away.  They were above and beyond helpful AND very knowledgeable.  Turns out it is two transfer switches affecting the lights and a freewheel solenoid pack is needed to fix the "whirling" noise.  The three sort of work in conjunction the best I could understand and gather (don't quote me).  The transfer switches control the solenoid pack which assists in engaging/dis-engaging.  The switches also report back to the dash status display.  Apparently it isn't a too common of a problem, but has been seen time from time. 

The part numbers are:

Thanks again for your help!  Look forward to chatting again soon!  ...I'll be lurking around.  :)

-DLX
[snapback]141799[/snapback]​

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey,

I had the very same problem and replaced The Freewheel Valve #MR430381 (mildy painful) and still had the problem. The part that made the difference was the Actuator, T/F Gear, Part # MR446665 - (twice as painful) but I have not heard any more evidence of that issue. I still have the flashing light issue but i have yet to get stuck when other 4WD vehicles are having diffculty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my wife told me her 03 montero limited started making a noise in RF and it sounded like it grinding and disengaging and when she steps on the breaks it sounds like it pops out, took it to the shop they had it for two days couldn't figure it out so here i am. Is this same problem from previous post and are part numbers the same from 02 to 03 montero

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
As Jim explained , it is not a common issue but sumthin that happens. Since it is hydro mechanical locking , the deceleration speed and "unlocker" when transisting back to 2H , has a varied and nominal speed input and may stay "between" positions, the light flashing meant it hadnt returned to a "closed (unlocked out of 4) position. And decelerating altered its position again is why teh lights flashed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the same problem, at low speeds I get the grinding noise until I engage the 4h mode, any ideas or pics. on the location of the parts mentioned above?.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts