Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I accidentally topped up my brake reservoir with power steering fluid then proceeded to drive over 1000kms on a week long trip.

I made it home with no problems. After looking into it a bit and speaking with a few mechanics, i was recommended to basically replace everything in the breaking system. Trying to figure out what parts I'm going to need. So far looks like I'll need a master cylinder, all 4 calipers, and hoses for each caliper. Anything else I'll need?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2018 MQ Triton
241 Posts
You might need to reseal the callipers, but I can’t imagine you would need to change them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Long story short, I accidentally topped up my brake reservoir with power steering fluid then proceeded to drive over 1000kms on a week long trip.

I made it home with no problems. After looking into it a bit and speaking with a few mechanics, i was recommended to basically replace everything in the breaking system. Trying to figure out what parts I'm going to need. So far looks like I'll need a master cylinder, all 4 calipers, and hoses for each caliper. Anything else I'll need?

Thanks.
I would siphon out the master cylinder as much as you can, then refill with correct DOT3 or other brake fluid. Bleed the system to all four corners while keeping the master cylinder full, Continue until you get clear brake fluid from all 4 calipers. A couple big cans of fluid are a lot cheaper than replacing the whole system. If it gets flushed well, I don’t think you’ll have a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From doing a search*

When a petroleum-based fluid, such as power steering fluid, enters the brake system, damage begins immediately. The first damage is usually to the reservoir cap and master cylinder seals. ... Replacing the contaminated master cylinder and bleeding the brakes could repair the system.

Upon reading that. It's basically saying,

1. Pull master cylinder, Clean and replace all rubbers in it.
2. re install rebuilt master cylinder and bleed brakes on each 4 corners. Until lines bleed clean fluid.

3. Pull calipers, Clean calipers ( replace all rubber lines, Piston seals) install rebuilt calipers.
4. Bleed system again To remove air.

Your flexible rubber lines will have dried out somewhat, So now will be prone to cracking and splitting under pressure/loads. 😟 It's not worth risking your and others lives by not replacing everything rubber within your braking system. This means if you have ABS, That controller will need replacing all rubber that has come in contact with the fluid too! 😒

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sucked out the old fluid and bled the whole system. I'll probably do it again this weekend. Anyone know where i could get a rebuild kit for the master? I talked to Mitsubishi here in Canada and it seems basically every part i need is discontinued. I was able to find rebuild kits for the calipers as well as new hoses, the master seems impossible to find, or it's thousands of dollars.
The part # for the master is: MR977461

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts