Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone-

I am having a hard time finding a forum that talks about newer Monteros. I wanted to know/find the procedure for replacing my spark plugs. I see that the plenum needs to be removed and just wanted to try and find a guide to the process. If anyone has insight, it's really appreciated!

Thanks!
Jack
Palatine, IL

·
Registered
2 Posts
:) Hi, I'm new to this too. But anyway here are the steps for removing the pelnum:
Step 1- Ignition coil
2- Ignition power transistor
3- EGR valve
4- EGR gasket
5- Manifold differential presure sensor
6- EGR pipe
7- EGR pipe gasket
8- Intake manifold plenum stay
9- Water outlet fitting bracket
10- Throttle body
11- Throttle body gasket
12- Air intake fitting
13- Air intake fitting gasket
14- Water pump bracket
15- Upper intake manifold
16- Intake manifold plenum gasket

Installation is of course the reverse of the removal. Pay attension to the lenght and size of the bolts as to where you remove it from for you will have to install it back to the exact place where you removed it from. You will have to replace the intake manifold plenum gasket (step 16), and also the intake fitting gasket (step 13). You will need two (2) torque wrenches, in. lbs and ft. lbs unless you know the conversion formula.

Torque for bolts:
Step 1- 100 in. lbs
3- 16 ft. lbs
5- 43 in. lbs
6- 13 ft. lbs
nut- 43 ft. lbs
8- front= 26 ft. lbs
rear= 13 ft. lbs
9- 14 ft.lbs
10- 100 in.lbs
12 & 15 All bolts= 13 ft. lbs
14- front=17 ft. lbs
rear= 13 ft. lbs

Hope this will help you.

Joey

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an '02 Montero and it looks as if I have to do the same thing. On a scale of 1 to 10, what is the actual complexity of this? I have done valve cover gaskets on older cars, and other more involved repairs.

I also cannot believe this is the procedure for changing spark plugs. I used to do it every year, but this seems a bit much.

Anyone have any links to diagrams of the procedure?

Finally, other than the Mitsubishi OEM Shop manuals, anyone know of an aftermarket repair manual? I cannot find one for a 2002

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It is not that hard to change the spark plugs and you dont have to remove all those things.Disconnect all wire connectors on top of intake,2bolts in front of intake holding 2 fuel lines,2bolts on drivers side from bracket to intake,2bolts to egr pipe,2bolts to throttle cable and then slide it out of throttle body,disconnect plug wires at coils dont worry the firing order is on the intake,fuel pressure regulator vacuum line,ground wires,bolts in center of intake some you may have to lean over front of engine to see.It should lift off and move it to the passenger side to change plugs.there is no need to completely remove intake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks - i appreciate it - it certainly seems much easier that way. especially since it sounds like you're not breaking any gaskets that way.

Are you a Mit tech at a dealership, or have a good service manual?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great - thanks.

I have been having reduced gas mileage - my '02 has 73K miles on it - change oil every 4500 mi, but figure due for a tune up - I change air filter, fuel filter annually - but figure spark plugs would help reclaim loss of mileage. Any other suggestions or recomendations to check/replace at this interval?

(I've also done the tranny, xfre case/differential services every 30K miles)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, I tried this - must be one bolt really well hidden somewhere - could not get the thing to budge.

Thankfully I got everything else back and it's running OK, but looks like its gonna be a trip to the dealer to just have the plugs changed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by kennethpe@Nov 16 2005, 04:28 AM
Wow, I tried this - must be one bolt really well hidden somewhere - could not get the thing to budge.

Thankfully I got everything else back and it's running OK, but looks like its gonna be a trip to the dealer to just have the plugs changed.
[snapback]35561[/snapback]​
There is one bolt at the back, it is angled, and sorta faces towards the upper part of windscreen, a bugger to see if you don't know it is there.

cheers,
John

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I replaced my plugs this weekend and now my truck is running really rough and bogs under load. It's not throwing any engine codes though. I hate the idea of pulling the intake off again to get to the plugs. I made double sure that all plug connections were solid before reinstalling the intake. I also made sure that all other wire connections were solid. Does anyone have some trouble shooting ideas? Should I pull the spark plug wires and check them? Maybe check the gap on the plugs? My Dad suggested I use a timing gun with a magnetic wire connection to check the signal in the spark plug wires. I don't have one, but I don't think they're too expensive.

One other question, do people normally change the intake gasket while they're in there or reuse the old one?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
youve obviously got a large vacuum leak or incorrectly routed wiring.

thats why its best left to the pros.
youre more than likely going to have to take it all back apart. but first check and double check your wiring and routing, as well as the vacuum lines you unhooked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Follow up on my spark plug change:

It turned out I had a couple of vacuum lines mixed up. They were located between the intake and the firewall, so they were difficult to see until I started taking everything back apart thinking I had a bad plug or plug wire somewhere. So for everyone doing this on they're own, I would suggest taking a couple of digital photos of everything before you take it apart to be sure that you reconnect things properly. It's really not that difficult to change the plugs, but it does require some patience to remove the intake and wade through all the electrical connections. The electrical connections are kinda hard to mess up because each plug seems to be shaped to only fit one connector. The vacuum lines are where you really have to be careful because they're not entirely obvious. I had to break out the diagram in the shop manual to confirm the routing. Anyway, good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts