Mitsubishi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

I just found out that I have a leak in the front left CV axle. I'm told it costs $800 for the part. Has anyone else had this issue with an Outlander?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My outlander is new so I can't comment on that..
BUT!
the boots are made of rubber/plastic, the majority of the cost is the labor. As they must remove the drive shaft in order to fit a one piece (stock) boot on. The purpose of the boot is to keep the joints lubricated, and dust/rock free.

ok to the point!

You can buy split boots, they have a slit in them so they can go over the existing boot and then clamps at the axel and the wheel. the boots cost about $70.

How to fit it.
brush out as much dirt gravel what ever is in there.. Use the grease gun, as the new grease goes in, old grease is flushed out through the crack, when clean grease starts coming out, clean up the area and put on the new boot...

yes this is a Quick/cheat way out. however if the joint is still sold it works fine!
I have been using one for over 8 years on my 93 mazda mystere and it's still holding fine! I have also done this to two of buddy's cars and they worked there as well.
Ps. I seen reference to glue together boots.. I have never used them so I can't comment.. mine came from Canadian tire..

boot replacment options
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/t.../ques111_0.html
http://www.aa1car.com/library/cvjoint2.htm

Hope that helps

Will

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It is the clamp leaking. You must remove the axle and boot to install a new clamp. However you can remove the original clamp from the boot and use a typical hose clamp without removing any parts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 00UTY has just started with the click click noise from the outer CVs on both sides.

Not a bad run with these at all - lots of off-road work and 361000Kms on the clock since I bought it new in 03.

Been quoted AUD$500 to replace entire arms - both sides including transfer case & outer CVs - including fitting. A bargain at that price, gotter booked in for the fix later this week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have just had the Oouty CV's done - and if the mechanic is quoting you $800 just for the part I would look elsewhere!

I was quoted AUD$500, and the job ended up costing me AUD$480 - which was for both inboard & outboard CV's & new drive shafts on both Left & Right sides - fitted!

Here's pix of the fitted parts:

[attachment=15753:LHS_CV_Assembly.jpg]
Left Side Outboard CV & Shaft

[attachment=15754:RHS_CV_Assembly.jpg]
Right Side Outboard CV Assembly

You cannot see the inboard CV joints - they are hidden by other bits, but believe me they are there!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had mine done about 2 months ago.. I had ordered parts from partsgeek.. Got C.V axles for approx $65 per piece. The labor was a whooping $250 for it. Had the same issue with the boots, so got them replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts